Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

VIP seating for Remember

Friday the 13th. My fiance and I had just gotten our AP's and were enjoying our first evening at the park. What made it so interesting was the strange little storm that passed over the park, thunder and lighthing off in the distance and the occasional shower. I was actualy suprised they were still going to show the fireworks so we decided to head over to the train station and watch the show from up there. I noticed that the entire middle section was roped off with benches and "reserved" signs were posted on the roped. No big deal although it seemed like a waste of space because nobody was sitting in the benches. The rain seemed to make alot of people flee the park and the benches were all wet. Right as the show started, people that were waiting in the area decided to stage a rebellion and they went under the ropes and took a seat at the benches. Now it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they were not VIP's or anything. Just guests wanting a good spot to see the show. My fiance and I followed suit and took a seat at one of the benches. No sooner had the lights dimmed that a woman with a nametag that said "Karen" came up to me and asked me what did I think I was doing. "Trying to watch the show" I replied. " Do you have a reservation?" she asked. "Yes, I do" I lied. It was a bluff and she wasn't buying it . " No you don't. You need to get out". I was shocked . Did she just tell me to get out? Is that any way to speak to a guest? Get out? "Did you just tell me to get out?" I asked her.
    "You can't sit here." she said. "Why do I have to get out and all these other people get to sit down?" I asked her. At that moment she realized her mistake. She was singling me out from the rest of the guests who were taking part in this rebellion. She stopped bothering me and walked away. I enjoyed the rest of the show without any further problems.

"Karen" was lucky there was a long line at City Hall. Her rude and borderline racist behavior would have been reported. I just didn't want to deal with it anymore.

I know that sitting in the roped off VIP seating was wrong. Was "Karen" right in the way she handled the situation? Should Disney still not allow people to sit in empty benches when there are no VIP's sitting there? Lets hear your thoughts.

• Lost in Wonderland

Re: VIP seating for Remember

Hmm. I'm kind of mind-boggled at the moment that that many people stole VIP seating! But then again I can't believe Disney left it unattended. So it's kind of up for grabs. Personally if I had sneaked into VIP and someone came up to me and was wondering what I was doing there, I would have gotten out of there. You can't get mad that the CM was rude to you when you were obviously breaking the rules.
    Last edited by adormouse; 10-26-2006 at 02:42 PM.

• Original Mice-Chatter

I'm wondering why you thought she was racist- maybe she just noticed you duck in there- and the racist chip on the shoulder is yours.

• Minion

dude, she wasn't even trying to be nice about it. She stright out said "get out!" There are nicer, more Disney ways of saying that. "I'm sorry sir, you are going to have to leave" or at least follow the jungle cruise skippers example " Get out....oh I'm sorry that was rude.....Please...get out"

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nephythys View Post
    I'm wondering why you thought she was racist- maybe she just noticed you duck in there- and the racist chip on the shoulder is yours.
    Dont' have one of those sorry....but when the other guests who were sitting all around me were white and I'm the only hispanic sitting there and she only tries to kick me out and not anyone else....what should I think? She didn't like my shirt?

• Lost in Wonderland

She could've been nicer, but then again you didn't have to follow the crowd and sneak into the reserved seating. Personally I think you're complaining about nothing because in the end you got to sit in the reserved seating even though you snuck into it.

• Original Mice-Chatter

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    Dont' have one of those sorry....but when the other guests who were sitting all around me were white and I'm the only hispanic sitting there and she only tries to kick me out and not anyone else....what should I think? She didn't like my shirt?

You seem to be the only one who has parsed it down like that- like I said maybe she saw you duck in and did not see the others- I don't know. But YOU are assuming the worst, YOU are making the accusation- and you are the one defining it by race. You are also guessing at everyone elses race based on appearance- how do you know you were the only hispanic? You don't-you're guessing based on appearances and making judgements yourself.

Sounds like your chip to me- so while she certainly could have been more polite or asked everyone to move you are the one making it a race issue.

You should have complained if it was that bad. I had a great experience with a CM on Sunday- I filed a compliment on Monday.

• Neep meep beep

Yeah, I don't get this. You break the rules, admit what you did was breaking the rules, and then get mad when someone calls you on it? What did you think was going to happen. It's especially suprising when you've been the first one to ask Disney to enforce the rules on a variety of conduct, and even some things, like strollers, and people with kids on their shoulders, that are not against the rules.

Bad form.

• Banned User

I say YES! Who else is going to sit there if no one else is.

I'll report her for you. Karen? Where does she wokr at, which section?

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    I say YES! Who else is going to sit there if no one else is.

I'll report her for you. Karen? Where does she wokr at, which section?
    Um, wow! I can't believe you said that! How hard would it have been for the OP to ask the CM if he could sit there instead of just sneaking in? If no one is sitting there and there is a reserved sign, I would see no problem for a CM to let guests sit there if it is empty. But sneaking in, having a CM scold you for it, and then complaining about it and claiming the racist card is just too much.

If anything I am starting to feel bad for the CM here. No one heard her side of the story and she was doing her job trying to ward off rule-breakers.

• Minion

I never said I was mad about it. I just didn't understand why, if there was nobody sitting in thise benches, which were all wet and empty, she felt the need to go only to me and try to kick me out. If anything she should have told everyone "Whoever dooesn't have a reservation to sit in this area they need to leave please". She didn't ask anyone else if they had a reservation. She didn't try to kick anyone else out. After she tried to kick me out she just saw the futility of her task and just let everyone enjoy the show, which was something she should have done in the first place. I could understand it if the VIP's suddenly showed up and we were sitting in their seats. I wouldn't hesitate to move if that were the case. These were EMPTY seats that would have remained EMPTY for no reason.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by adormouse View Post
    Um, wow! I can't believe you said that! How hard would it have been for the OP to ask the CM if he could sit there instead of just sneaking in? If no one is sitting there and there is a reserved sign, I would see no problem for a CM to let guests sit there if it is empty. But sneaking in, having a CM scold you for it, and then complaining about it and claiming the racist card is just too much.

If anything I am starting to feel bad for the CM here. No one heard her side of the story and she was doing her job trying to ward off rule-breakers.
    We didn't sneak in. It's not like we were like "Quick! she's not looking! go!" The CM wasn't even present. She was not at her post. Had she been at her post she would have been able to prevent the 20+ people who took a seat at the start of the show.

• Neep meep beep

But wouldn't it be better if you would have sought out a cast member, and asked if you could sit there, instead of breaking the rules, and sitting in a VIP section that you weren't supposed to be in, without permission?

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    We didn't sneak in. It's not like we were like "Quick! she's not looking! go!" The CM wasn't even present. She was not at her post. Had she been at her post she would have been able to prevent the 20+ people who took a seat at the start of the show.
    How is that not sneaking in? You knew it was reserved, you stated that in your original post with the ropes and what not. Just because there was no CM around doesn't make it right. The same principle would be if you were in a store and there was no employees around and you took a piece of candy. Since nobody saw it, it's not stealing right?

Um, no. Taking a minute and asking a CM if you could sit there would've rectified the situation and perhaps you wouldn't have had to deal with the CM being rude to you.

The other people who took the reserved seating were just in the wrong as you were. It's a shame they were not scolded as well, but I still don't see you are justified in going "WHY ME!?!" just because you were singled out. Just as Nephythys said, she might not have seen the other people sneak in as you said you came in after them.

• Minion

oh wait....I forgot.....I'm on Micechat where EVERYONE follows the rules right? Shame on me for sitting in that seat. What was I thinking?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast