View Poll Results: Where should the next big Disney resort be located?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australia

49 37.12%
  • Egypt

2 1.52%
  • United Kingdom

10 7.58%
  • Canada

24 18.18%
  • South Africa

1 0.76%
  • Brazil

4 3.03%
  • Mexico

6 4.55%
  • Italy

2 1.52%
  • Russia

3 2.27%
  • Other (Please explain below)

31 23.48%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Re: Where Should The Next Big Disney Park Be Built?

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    I'm sorry, but isn't it just pushing it to build a Disney Park in a country where so many people are poor. It just doesn't work with the economy. Disney Parks cost a lot of money to go to. So build it where there aren't so many hardships between the people to just put food on the table.
    That is a steriotype about the country, you know... Believe it or not India does infact have an emerging middle class thanks to tech companies outsourcing to india... And it is setting a cultural transformation...

I recomend that you read this edition Time Magazine and the story about Bombay's Boom.

Who said that America doesn't have hardships? Hong Kong? Japan? France?

No, you look for an emerging middle class who begin to develope comercial infrastructure and a desposable income...
    Last edited by cellarhound; 10-27-2006 at 10:11 AM.
    Check out my other blog:

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by OogieBoogie View Post
    San Francsico Bay Area. That drive down I5 is far too long.
    It gets longer as the price of gas gets hire too... didn't you notice?
    Check out my other blog:

• Minion

I am actually hoping they slow down, or stop building so many.
    They already have to compete against eachother for budget as it is (with Tokyo being the exception as always).
    I don't think there needs to be a Disney park in every country.
    Goin around the world...and back to Disneyland!

Australia.....but ONLY after Disney has enhanced and expanded its existing parks especially DCA and HKDL. And I think Epcot needs some extra attention as well.
    "To all who come to this happy place, welcome!"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I have long thought that the ski resort that Disney had planned building in California could easily be fit into the Rockies here, in Colorado! In the original plan, the Country Bears were slated to perform there....why not set up shop here?

I'd get a job there, no matter the length of the commute!

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• I met Walt Disney!

Of course it should be built in Apple Valley, the jewel of the high desert of California :-) Lots of desert land... could be bigger than WDW. Yep, Apple Valley is the place.

• Rawr...

Denver! Rocky Moutian Mouse!
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

It would be nice if they would build Disney America. It would be nice to have another park in the mid-west.

• It's all about Theme!

I know, this is what everyone is thinking but Texas has a ton of land.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Premium Youngling and

Hawaii!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

No where.

They need to improve the parks they already have.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    I know, this is what everyone is thinking but Texas has a ton of land.

If it was going to be in the states, I would have to say put it in Texas in the Dallas, Houston, Austin triangle...

Trouble is there are too many good arguments against this, in compared to placing another park in say Milasia...
    Check out my other blog:

This isn't the same article that I read, but this is about Thailand Disneyland
    http://blog.mousekingdom.com/2006/10...nd-disneyland/

and apparently Thailand has there own version of Disneyland already - I believe that was posted here on Micechat/Miceage at some point

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Good to see so many nods for Australia, and for me this is a no-brainer: of course I'd love to see one down here, as I'd first in line for an Annual Pass

However, I am in two minds about the whole expansion of the Disney empire thing.

DCA and Hong Kong Disneyland have shown two things for many people. Firstly, it is difficult to recapture the magic of the original park, even when it is right next door. Secondly, it was evidence of the fact that too much Disney may in fact be a BAD thing. Now, I will happily go to every Disney park around the world - and I have a multi-year plan to do just that by around 2011 - but could it be said that stamping Magic Kingdoms across the globe makes it less special and more like the brand-stamping that was decried in this very forum a few days ago? It becomes 'Disney Parks' rather than Disneyland, Disney World, Disneyland Paris and so on.

With Australia, you wouldn't have the language barrier or the cultural clashes to overcome - we are, it seems, slowly becoming the 51st state of the US anyway - and there are certainly enough open spaces to have it floating about. The downside is that we don't have the local population to support a park. The US has two parks, but they have a population of about 300 million. Australia, by comparison, has approximately 20 million people. While it is true the Olympics and several larger events have shown Australia's capability to host a large event and large numbers of tourists, for the park to be COMPLETELY reliant on tourism is a dangerous thing for Disney. Indeed, very few local parks have managed to survive, with Sydney's Wonderland closing its doors some years ago, and the carnival-style Luna Park being one of New South Wales' only parks left. The string of parks on the Gold Coast - Warner Bros Movie World, Dreamworld and SeaWorld - tell a slightly different story, and I'm sure the Disney name would go a long way. However, from a realistic point of view, I just don't see an Australian Disneyland as practical.

Also, the Australian tourist dollar is huge in the US. For all the reasons I mentioned above - language, culture, Disney brand identification - Australian tourists flock to the American parks in huge numbers, and the marketing here indicates that. The US would be unwise to lose some of that tourist dollar by gambling on a local park.

Some have spoken about making an Australia-themed park by Disney, but I think this would be a mistake too. DCA has shown that you can't sell ice to Eskimos, just as you can't sell Australiana to the Aussies. I guess what I'd really love to see is the parks that are around now develop and expand. I'd love to see Hong Kong Disneyland start to shine as its own park, creating something similar to Tokyo's DisneySea. Obviously not the same thing, but a park unique to Hong Kong that they can be proud of. Mind you, they should probably work on expanding the existing park first.

Just my two cents on the reality of it. Still doesn't stop me from wanting an Aussie park!
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    Some have spoken about making an Australia-themed park by Disney, but I think this would be a mistake too. DCA has shown that you can't sell ice to Eskimos, just as you can't sell Australiana to the Aussies. I guess what I'd really love to see is the parks that are around now develop and expand.
    No, but I am betting you can sell Texas to Texans...

The problem is "Disneization" ... You take everything that is great about a place, miniturize it, and then sanitize the rest...

Oh, to be a homless bum sleeping under the Palace of Fine Arts in DCA... There is a theme character for you... The Happiest Homeless Man on Earth.
    Last edited by cellarhound; 10-27-2006 at 04:34 PM.
    Check out my other blog:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast