Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

Where's the gold nail??

Where is that gold nail that they put in Fantasyland when Disneyland Opened?
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

Re: Where's the gold nail??

• It's all about Theme!

Thanks! I've looked but have never found it.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

There are more of them in the park, but this is the only one I've seen in person. They're surveying markers.

• The Fantasyland guy

yeah, it's not really a "gold spike" or nail as the center of disneyland. The "gold spike" rumor has been around for awile now. It is just a survey marker.

there is really nothing special about it at all.

• Keep that Zebra safe...

It WAS the center until toontown and other things around the perimiter of the park were added I believe I've actually noticed some of the other markers around.

Disneyland Visits - 264
    DCA Visits - 52
    and counting...

^And that's another rumor that's been going around. That survey marker was never the center of Disneyland at any time. The geographic center of Disneyland in 1955 was the center of the hub, and that survey marker was there to line up the center-line of Main Street with the castle arches, and to line up the center of the carousel with the castle arches.

In fact, with the addition of Toontown, it is probably closer to the center of the park than ever before.

• Silent Lucidity

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    yeah, it's not really a "gold spike" or nail as the center of disneyland. The "gold spike" rumor has been around for awile now. It is just a survey marker.

there is really nothing special about it at all.
    It is Special! It is the exact center of Disneyland when it first opened! In the survey world, it is referred to as a "survey monument" or "hub" as well as a "marker". A dimple on the face of the monument locates the more precise position of the point within the surface of the monument. It's Special!!! It should be an attraction!
    Last edited by disneyhound; 10-29-2006 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyhound View Post
    It is Special! It is the exact center of Disneyland when it first opened! In the survey world, it is referred to as a "survey monument" or "hub" as well as a "marker". A dimple on the face of the monument locates the more precise position of the point within the surface of the monument. It's Special!!! It should be an attraction!
    Actually, it wasn't the center of the park when it opened. As mentioned before, it was just a tool to line up Main Street, the castle, and the Fantasyland in order to be picturesque.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by disneyhound View Post
    Your over-enthusiasm seems to mean that you are kidding (I hope).

And yes, that survey marker is not and never has been the geographic center of disneyland, with or without any additions or subtractions over the last 51 years. NEVER.

And yet, they tell people this misinformed crap on the Walt's Footsteps tour. Something that can be easily disproved with an overhead map. It is one cast member telling another cast member something, and it then becomes Disneyland Gospel.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• The Fantasyland guy

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    And yet, they tell people this misinformed crap on the Walt's Footsteps tour.
    Actully, the tour was where I had a cast member proove me wrong. (Before Miceage/micechat where I had read about "Frogberto" who went to great legnths to check if a rumor was true or not.)

Not all Cast Members are evil and just dish out random info they read online. Some CM's do their homework.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Actully, the tour was where I had a cast member proove me wrong. (Before Miceage/micechat where I had read about "Frogberto" who went to great legnths to check if a rumor was true or not.)

Not all Cast Members are evil and just dish out random info they read online. Some CM's do their homework.
    Huh? A) Frogberto may have done a "debunk" thread on that topic, but I have never read that particular thread; B) many people have reported that the Walt's Footsteps Tour was where they heard this misinformation (perhaps it has since been changed); and C) your last line is some kind of insulting straw man argument which is quite silly, since nobody said that "all" CM's are "evil" or give random info that they read "online" (insinuating that the rumors start with the "online folks" and not among the cast members themselves a la the telephone game). Also, nobody is saying that CMs are intentionally giving misinformation to intentionally mislead guests.

So what during the tour proved you "wrong"?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Closed Account

I've posted this before, but here it is again for the unbeleivers. The horizontal blue line roughly passes through the spike.

And just so someone doesn't have to write "The spike was the center of the park in 1955, not today!", please note that this is a photo of the park circa 1955.

The spike clearly is not, nor ever was, the center of Disneyland ( it was on the center line, however).

Here's a photo with some high-tech graphics applied to counter those folks who might try to suggest that the photos are misleading because they are tken at slight angles (it doesn't make a difference, of course).

• Neep meep beep

Yes, I have to say that I've never done a thread on the "golden spike" or the "center of Disneyland". I have, however, seen Steve DeGaetano's excellent posts on this subject, like the one directly above.

Kinda interesting how the space bethind Main Street and Tommorowland is almost equal to all of Adventureland. If Disney could build underground employee walkways and facilities, they would have a nice little chunk of land to expand into.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast