Cast Member @ South Coast Plaza needs a makeover

So this afternoon I was doing my part in perpetuating the lavish Orange County lifestyle by doing some shopping at South Coast Plaza. Amongst all of the botox'ed desperate housewives doing their weekly shopping I was surprised to see a little outpost of Disneyland right there at the bottom of the escalators. There was a little ticket and information kiosk selling Annual Passes and Park Hopper tickets for Disneyland. It looked brand new and was emblazoned with both the Disneyland Resort and the Year Of A Million Dreams logos, and it had slick new Where Dreams Come True brochures to give out with a video screen built in playing Dreams commercials.

This little Disneyland outpost was staffed by a CM, wearing a Disneyland nametag. But I had to do a double-take when I saw what this young woman was wearing. She had on crumply black track pants with stripes down the leg like you would wear on a treadmill at the gym, scuffy white tennis shoes, and an untucked striped casual shirt. Her hair and makeup were done very, very simply and casually. She looked as though she had just come from Yoga class and was on her way to Vons. She topped this way-too-casual ensemble off with a Disneyland Resort nametag. Except instead of wearing the new Dreams nametag, she still had on an old, gold 50th nametag. She was from the "Class of 2005", which I guess nowadays means she is highly tenured and should be getting her retirement Rolex soon.

Doesn't Disneyland have a dress code for its employees who are out in public representing Disney and interacting with customers? If TDA is going to operate and staff this ticket/info kiosk, I think they should put this gal in a uniform just like all of the other CM's. She wasn't dressed in business attire like a manager, and she looked rather unkempt and far too casual, especially to be out in public representing Disneyland at an official Disneyland info booth.

It only made it worse that she was at swanky South Coast Plaza, as she was easily the least fashionably dressed person in the whole mall.

Seriously though, shouldn't this CM be in a uniform or proper business attire if she's going to be working out in public with a Disneyland nametag on?
    Last edited by TP2000; 10-30-2006 at 08:59 PM.

• Me and Ilovevmk as elves

Re: Cast Member @ South Coast Plaza needs a makeover

Hmm. As I was reading this, I kept thinking, "Is this actually a Disneyland employee and not someone trying to resell tickets, sort of like in New York?"

Yeah, this sounds like like it is an off-site Disney operation... and its VERY concerning. Not good for the Disney image. If I were you, I would write a letter to TDA... or just write a short note on the "Contact Us" page at Disneyland.com. Its important that they are made aware of this!

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I would think thats a huge no no.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by TP2000 View Post
    So this afternoon I was doing my part in perpetuating the lavish Orange County lifestyle by doing some shopping at South Coast Plaza. Amongst all of the botox'ed desperate housewives doing their weekly shopping I was surprised to see a little outpost of Disneyland right there at the bottom of the escalators. There was a little ticket and information kiosk selling Annual Passes and Park Hopper tickets for Disneyland. It looked brand new and was emblazoned with both the Disneyland Resort and the Year Of A Million Dreams logos, and it had slick new Where Dreams Come True brochures to give out with a video screen built in playing Dreams commercials.

This little Disneyland outpost was staffed by a CM, wearing a Disneyland nametag. But I had to do a double-take when I saw what this young woman was wearing. She had on crumply black track pants with stripes down the leg like you would wear on a treadmill at the gym, scuffy white tennis shoes, and an untucked striped casual shirt. Her hair and makeup were done very, very simply and casually. She looked as though she had just come from Yoga class and was on her way to Vons. She topped this way-too-casual ensemble off with a Disneyland Resort nametag. Except instead of wearing the new Dreams nametag, she still had on an old, gold 50th nametag. She was from the "Class of 2005", which I guess nowadays means she is highly tenured and should be getting her retirement Rolex soon.

Doesn't Disneyland have a dress code for its employees who are out in public representing Disney and interacting with customers? If TDA is going to operate and staff this ticket/info kiosk, I think they should put this gal in a uniform just like all of the other CM's. She wasn't dressed in business attire like a manager, and she looked rather unkempt and far too casual, especially to be out in public representing Disneyland at an official Disneyland info booth.

It only made it worse that she was at swanky South Coast Plaza, as she was easily the least fashionably dressed person in the whole mall.

Seriously though, shouldn't this CM be in a uniform or proper business attire if she's going to be working out in public with a Disneyland nametag on?
    All I could think of when I saw the title of this thread was "Extreme Makeover: Cast Member Edition" and "Pimp my Cast Member."

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Sounds like the OP is describing the Disney Desk at the South Coast Plaza, which is run by the Walt Disney Travel Company.

You can also find them at the Hilton and Doubletree near the Anaheim Convention Center.

Some of the College Program kids work the Desks...

http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/d...pplication.pdf
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• insufferable know-it-all

That's wierd, I thought Disney Desk had some sort of Hawaiian shirt costume?

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Sounds like the OP is describing the Disney Desk at the South Coast Plaza, which is run by the Walt Disney Travel Company.

You can also find them at the Hilton and Doubletree near the Anaheim Convention Center.

Some of the College Program kids work the Desks...

http://disney.go.com/disneycareers/d...pplication.pdf
    Thanks for the info Darkbeer!

But, regardless of what department staffs this info center in the middle of the mall, they need to get their act together. The kiosk is emblazoned with the Disneyland Resort logo, they're passing out Disneyland brochures and selling Disneyland tickets, and the thing is staffed by a Cast Member answering questions while wearing an official Disneyland Cast Member nametag.

Even though the poor dear had an old 50th gold nametag instead of the current nametag, it was clearly obvious that she was a Cast Member and representing the Disneyland Resort and the Disney image. She is representing Disneyland, and unfortunately she wasn't dressed for it. Just a few steps down the mall is a Disney Store, and I can guarantee you those sales clerks in that Disney Store aren't wearing wrinkled gym attire while they ring up customers.

There's gotta be a dress code for the CM's at that info desk at South Coast Plaza. Right?

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Yeah, but was she hot?

• Neep meep beep

This thread is worthless without pics!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

MAN! I was there on Halloween but I didn't see this booth
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Quote Originally Posted by Saddlesore Swanson View Post
    Yeah, but was she hot?
    Negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    This thread is worthless without pics!
    Sorry, I don't usually take my camera with me to the mall. Darkbeer???

I live right down the street from South Coast Plaza. I might have to take a walk tomorrow night!

By the way, they have had that booth there for a while, they just keep changing it (the design). Usually the Disney person looks bored, but I never noticed them looking that unkempt.