Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• Santa Barbara, CA

New Bobsleds killing the Matterhorn?

Will the proposed new bobselds with lap bar seating (think Space Mountain) destroy the unnique feel of the Bobsledding experience?

I'm concerned that it will. The Matterhorn depends on a low center of gravity to give you the impression of speed (it is the slowest of the mountains at like 25mph). The rides tosses you side to side in the seats and requires you to hold on to stabilize yourself. Not to mention the seating arrangement thematically fits with the idea of Bobsledding. This precarious thrill is eliminated and so is the center of gravity to a degree depending on how the traditional seat and bar are designed. I recall the first single Bobsled which had the best expereince with nothing in tow, that was great. I'm afriad the latest State run iteration will futher erode an already compromised experience.

Thoughts?

Admin Note: To read Al Lutz's comments regarding the Matterhorn, please visit this link from page 3 of his update.
    Last edited by Dustysage; 10-31-2006 at 08:24 AM.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Earth Intruder

Re: New Bobsleds killing the Matterhorn?

I think it's gonna suck just because you won't be able to hold onto someone special in your lap while on the ride after the new systems are put in. Nor will you be able to ride "indian style" anymore when you have your own space.

However, I don't think the ride experience itself will be changed. I just rode Space Mountain in Orlando where they have the 6 individual seat setup on the bobsleds, errrr rockets, and it didn't seem to detract from any enjoyment of the ride. The thrill is not eliminated since the seats are relatively "open air" with an individual "T" lapbar holding you in place. Also, you are not sitting in a space way above where you are in the current seating arrangement.

Perhaps someone can post a pic of the Orlando SM car as the example here?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Keepin' it calsteady

I hadn't heard about this. Do you have a link to the information?

If they are going to lap bars, does that mean I won't have to straddle anyone?

I won't know if I'll them them until I ride, but I've never been a fan of the seatbelts. They're kinda confusing and difficult to deal with when they get tangled.

• Suspended

a lapbar would be a safer restraint system in that it would prevent guests from releasing the restraint during the ride as the can currently do with the seat belt system. a lapbar system would also speed up the loading and verification process for the cast members. Safety should be the #1 concern on this ride or any other ride at the park.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bee1000 View Post
    I hadn't heard about this. Do you have a link to the information?

If they are going to lap bars, does that mean I won't have to straddle anyone?

I won't know if I'll them them until I ride, but I've never been a fan of the seatbelts. They're kinda confusing and difficult to deal with when they get tangled.
    Read page 3 of Al's column: http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al103106c.htm. Scroll down to "Remain Seated, Please."

The purist in me wants the inline seating to remain on the bobsleds, but Disney can't hold off the State of California safety wonks forever. They'll eventually get their way.

• Circle of Ancients

I actually found the seats on Space Mtn in Florida to be quite comfortable. I don't think they are any higher than the Matterhorn.

My concern is even though SM is bumpy, it's nowhere near as bumpy as the matterhorn. I can forsee many bruised legs if the lapbar is in the middle as it is on SM.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Do you think that they will basically use the design of the Space Mountain WDW seating? I'm obviously, not sure what it will be like, but it is a worthy discussion. I agree that the holding someone tight in your arms is a big factor in theme park sociality! When the State demands lap bars on the Main St Horsecars, then I'll scream.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Sun Wheel survivor!

The multi-quote thingy doesn't work with the Halloween overlay

My response is directed at the OP and Chernabog - why not give it a chance and try it out before you start complaining and assuming this change will be a negative? Why do you make the assumption that a safety enhancement will reduce your ride enjoyment? Give DL a chance before you begin bashing.

And if after you ride it - if you have some comments - then post them for discussion.
    Minnietoo

• Haunted Mansion Lover

I think the updated, safer bobsleds are a welcome change. There have been two deaths on the matterhorn from poeple standing up during the ride. If they install lap bars that will no longer be a concern. I love the ride and enjoy sitting with my five year old in my lap, but the current restraint gives me bruises from protecting her. I think anything Disneyland can do to ensure safety is a good thing, not a bad thing!
    Foolish Mortal

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by doombuggy driver View Post
    There have been two deaths on the matterhorn from poeple standing up during the ride.
    Uh... shallow gene pool? Survivial of the fittest?

*Go ahead.... bash away....*

Quote Originally Posted by minnietoo View Post
    My response is directed at the OP and Chernabog - why not give it a chance and try it out before you start complaining and assuming this change will be a negative? Why do you make the assumption that a safety enhancement will reduce your ride enjoyment? Give DL a chance before you begin bashing.

And if after you ride it - if you have some comments - then post them for discussion.

I think the OP was merely asking people about their thoughts and opinions on the preposed changes and our current thoughts and feelings. Theres nothing wrong with voiceing an opinion about what you THINK these changes might mean to the enjoyment of the personal experience of the ride. They are not neccessarily "bashing" the ride without giving it a chance, they are simply stating what they think the changes will bring to the ride.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

I hate lap bars. They make me claustrophobic which makes it extremely difficult to ride.
    Mike

• Circle of Ancients

Re: People standing up on the ride and dying

If you want to be stupid on a ride, no restraint is going to hold you. Yes WDW's SM has lap-bars, but I never thought that I couldn't get out of them if I wanted to. In fact I'm sure I could have. Same with Big Thunder, etc.

I think the biggest change if they do this to the Matterhorn is going to be a change in height requirement. WDW's SM has a height requirement of 44". That's 4 inches more than Disneyland's Space Mtn and 9 inches more than the current height requirement for Matterhorn. And even the 35" requirement on Matterhorn is only a few years old. It wasn't so long ago it didn't have a height requirement.

• ev'thing is satisfactual

I have been in the back car as a single rider with a broken seat belt. It is a bit of a challenge to keep yourself in the seat just holding onto the side handles.
    If this happened to a child they may not be able to hold themselves in.

The lap belts needed to be done away with years ago. I look forward to the updated ride.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by minnietoo View Post

My response is directed at the OP and Chernabog - why not give it a chance and try it out before you start complaining and assuming this change will be a negative?
    Um, excuse me? Did you read what I posted? I said I didn't think it would change the ride experience itself like the OP thought, but I thought it would suck that you can't have someone to cuddle with on the ride anymore.

And I was just on the Orlando Space Mountain, which are matterhorn bobsled cars modified with the 6-person seating arrangement and individual T lap bars, so I know what I'm talking about.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    And even the 35" requirement on Matterhorn is only a few years old. It wasn't so long ago it didn't have a height requirement.
    I didn't even think about that aspect of the lap bars. It'd be really annoying for a kid to not be able to go on a ride that they used to be able to go on because of height requirement switches.

Plus, I know parents that won't take their small children on Splash Mountain anymore because they can't hold the kid in their arms in front of them. It may be the same way for the Matterhorn, if the same types of restraints are put on.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast