• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Kat Cressida, the "Black Widow Bride" shares the story of the Haunted Mansion!

It's Halloween, and DoomBuggies.com has released thier exclusive ghost story told by Kat Cressida, the "Black Widow Bride" of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion.

I have yet to listen to the complete audio track, but I've listened to part of it, as well as the DoomBuggies.com interview with Kat Cressida and the Inside the Magic podcast interview with her. Her father was a graphic designer for Disney's PR department and apparently worked with Imagineers, and he shared a lot of inside information with his daughter.

So according to Kat, this is the official backstory of the Mansion and the Mansion's Bride. Personally, I disagree. In my opinion, the Haunted Mansion is absolutely and undeniably an unscripted experience. Ever since it opened it's been nothing more than a "retirement home" for spooks and spirits.

From what I've heard, Kat is retelling a very flushed out story of one of the many backstories of the Mansion that was initially proposed during development stages. It's an interesting and fascinating tale, but it concerns me that with the weight that DoomBuggies.com has on the online Disney fan community, particularly in the Haunted Mansion fan department, I worry that Kat's story may start to become a sort of almost-official history of the attraction.

I guess it really doesn't matter in the end, but Kat's retelling appears to be nothing more than one of the many backstories that were kicked around by Imagineering back in the day, but never actually made it into the attraction.

It's no doubt that certain nods and remnants of backstories still exist - particularly the pirate ship weathervane that Kat talks about in her story. But that doesn't mean that there is a storyline to the attraction.

For decades, the Mansion has remained a disjointed array of experiencings all tied together by the Ghost Host's incredible narration. Only earlier this year was that changed when Kat Cressida became the Black Widow Bride in the attic, tying together her character with the woman sitting on George's headstone in the stretching gallery. Only then was there any amount of cohesive storytelling introduced to the Mansion. And even still, much of the attraction is still disjointed and random.

Anyway, I suppose I'm rambling.

I do suggest all you Disneyland fans head out and listen to the story. It's great fun and really interesting to listen to. But don't take it as the official history of the attraction as it is today...

Last edited by MasterGracey; 10-31-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Comin' at ya!

Re: Kat Cressida, the "Black Widow Bride" shares the story of the Haunted Mansion!

Great post, as usual!
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Comin' at ya!

Re: Kat Cressida, the "Black Widow Bride" shares the story of the Haunted Mansion!

How did the bride supposedly die in the story? Did she just vanish?
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• Senior Minion

I saw the announcement and am looking forward to listening to it. I thought the same as you, this isn't an official story behind Haunted Mansion, but I really want to hear how she tells the story ... you can't beat a good storyteller.

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Now it come all togetter that what I remeber was the story about the Haunted Mansion

good time to post is report.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Popular Princess

just finished listening to it a few minutes ago. it was interesting to hear one of the many stories that has been told about the mansion. personally, i liked it because it was a good story for halloween. i won't tell the story because i don't want to spoil it for anyone!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland