• Former Cast Member

Back From My Honeymoon At Wdw

Just got back from my honeymoon at WDW and I had a blast (even if it was my 6th time there). It was my new wife's first time there and I loved playing tour guide to her, pointing everything out to her.

One observation that I do have to make and I would like to hear fromthose who have visited WDW as well, regarding what I am going to state here. My observations concern the cast members at all the parks and especially their Magic Kingdom. We had buttons given to us, showing that we were "Just Married". I was overwhelmed at how all cast members went out of their way to congratulate us and chat with us about our stay, etc.. This happened with merchandising, attractions, foods, Janitorial cast members from all of the parks and hotels. I can say I was blown away by this added dimension of quality customer service. It was very genuine too.

If I were to compare the 2 Magic Kingdoms of Disneyland and WDW, WDW's would blow Disneyland's cast members clean out of the water (except for that small minority that still give quality guest service). Being a former Disneyland cast member, it made me proud to see such high quality service at WDW, but sad to see this aspect diminish from Disneyland. What went wrong here as far as quality cast members (remember except for that small minority that excel).

If you have expereienced this as well, I would love to know.

Re: Back From My Honeymoon At Wdw

Glad you had a great time! Congrats on the new marriage! I'd love to do something like that if I ever get married.

I'd say, although I don't know exactly since I'm not there or anything, and basing this just on what I've read... but I think the lack of quality cast members at DL has to do with the low pay compared to other "entry" level jobs in the area, what they have to deal with *guests, parking situation, scheduling, etc*

Like I said, I don't know for sure since I'm not there, but just from what I've read I'd say that's it. CM's need to be paid, very well, for what they have to deal with. Management needs to address this.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by PLAZAINN1 View Post
    If I were to compare the 2 Magic Kingdoms of Disneyland and WDW, WDW's would blow Disneyland's cast members clean out of the water (except for that small minority that still give quality guest service). Being a former Disneyland cast member, it made me proud to see such high quality service at WDW, but sad to see this aspect diminish from Disneyland. What went wrong here as far as quality cast members (remember except for that small minority that excel).

For the most part, I agree with you. Completely blown away by the CMs in Orlando. The vast majority of CMs that I interacted with at WDW (and EVERY SINGLE ONE the Universal "Cast Members") went above and beyond my expecations -- they really seemed genuine, like they really wanted you to have a special trip. WDW and Universal were obviously doing something right with their cast member training. Plus it probably helps that the cost of living in Orlando is WAY WAY less than it is in Anaheim.

On the other hand, it seems like a huge percentage the overworked and underpaid CMs at Disneyland hold nothing but complete and utter contempt for guests. Not all of them, mind you, Disneyland does have a lot of wonderful, helpful and genuine CMs. But let's face it, many are way too underpaid for them to give a flying crap about their jobs.

There is such a different vibe when the attitude is "I'm here to make your trip here a magical one" versus indifference. I wish Disneyland could pay CMs more -- I'd be pretty disinterested too if I could make more money with less stress at In-N-Out.

Welcome back from your honeymoon, I'm glad it was special!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Former Cast Member

[quote=Chernabog;1070167]For the most part, I agree with you. Completely blown away by the CMs in Orlando. The vast majority of CMs that I interacted with at WDW (and EVERY SINGLE ONE the Universal "Cast Members") went above and beyond my expecations -- they really seemed genuine, like they really wanted you to have a special trip. WDW and Universal were obviously doing something right with their cast member training. Plus it probably helps that the cost of living in Orlando is WAY WAY less than it is in Anaheim.

On the other hand, it seems like a huge percentage the overworked and underpaid CMs at Disneyland hold nothing but complete and utter contempt for guests. Not all of them, mind you, Disneyland does have a lot of wonderful, helpful and genuine CMs. But let's face it, many are way too underpaid for them to give a flying crap about their jobs.

Thanks Chernabog. I see the Mice Chat group were there at the same time we were. We took a red eye on Sunday and arrived at Orlando @ 6:20 am. I was working on only 2 hours of sleep. We checked into the All Star Movies resort and put our bags in storage and immediately went to the Magic Kingdom. I was so excited since this was my wife's first time and I was playing tour guide and just seeing the magic in her eyes was something else. The weather couldn't be any better either, we lucked out with that cold front with the temps in the 60's over our first 2 days there. It was awesome.

It would have been nice to run into you guys out there, I would have recognized alot of you from the photos here. Hopefully, we can meet up at one of the meets at Disneyland in the near future. That would be a lot of fun.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Glad to hear you had such a good time, and that honeymooners are given such a warm welcome. Given that, at least from my limited point of view, the Anaheim Cast Members were all perfect, I can't wait to see this Super Happy Cast Member Service.

My first visit to WDW will be, if all goes to plan, on my own honeymoon. The plan is (presently) to fly to Disneyland, then get hitched in Vegas, and effectively honeymoon in New Orleans/WDW/New York.

Anyways, congrats on the marriage/honeymoon and I wish you all the best for the future and many happy returns (to WDW, presumably).
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Former Cast Member

Thanks for the well wishes Loomis, I appreciate it very much. I also hope youspend your honeymoon in WDW. You'll love it.

• Banned User

WDW cms start at around 6.90 an hour i believe. cp rate is 6.40 which is currently florida minimum wage. that will go up to around 6.75 in january as florida minimum wage is indexed for inflation each year.

• The pride is back.

Congrats on the nups, and glad you had a good time.

I'd always thought everything was about the same from a CM standpoint until I went back to WDW early in '05 and then came home and went to DL several times. Especially after my trip last Friday, I can comfortably say that, on the whole, I believe that WDW CMs own their Anaheim counterparts.

Just got back from my honeymoon at WDW and I had a blast (even if it was my 6th time there). It was my new wife's first time there and I loved playing tour guide to her, pointing everything out to her.

One observation that I do have to make and I would like to hear fromthose who have visited WDW as well, regarding what I am going to state here. My observations concern the cast members at all the parks and especially their Magic Kingdom. We had buttons given to us, showing that we were "Just Married". I was overwhelmed at how all cast members went out of their way to congratulate us and chat with us about our stay, etc.. This happened with merchandising, attractions, foods, Janitorial cast members from all of the parks and hotels. I can say I was blown away by this added dimension of quality customer service. It was very genuine too.

This is all well and good, but I have one question:

What resort did you stay at?

• Rock Star Minion

Being a former Disneyland cast member, it made me proud to see such high quality service at WDW, but sad to see this aspect diminish from Disneyland. What went wrong here as far as quality cast members (remember except for that small minority that excel).
    Congrats on the beginning of the "Your Life is Over" part of your life!! Good to place to start it, too.

A few theories as answers to your questions:

1. DL doesn't pay enough. So, high-quality candidates for employment seek work elsewhere. DL has to choose from the rest.

2. DL isn't known anymore as "THE place to work." In fact, I think it has fallen way behind many other employers in the area.

3. DL doesn't have as much of an off-season, so more full-time workers are needed. That means fewer seasonal workers, who were traditionally high-school / college students from the area. Smart ones who consider school more important than a job, and who can afford not to have a job when going to school (or can afford not to have a full-time job). Smart students make great seasonal cast members. And if there are a lot to choose from (if you pay them enough), DL gets to keep the cream of the crop. DL can then choose which ones it wants to keep on for the next season or to keep tabs on when they graduate. Seasonal strategy was great for recruiting that next level of CM -- managers and leads. I don't think DL uses this strategy as much as it did in the past.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Former Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by ganggreen4jc View Post
    This is all well and good, but I have one question:

What resort did you stay at?

I stayed at the All Star Movies resort.

• xmanmom

I noticed an outstanding level of service and enthusiasm on my recent trip to WDW as well. Not to say that I haven't had awesome service at DL, but I had always heard people put down the WDW cast and wasn't expecting much. Imagine my surprise when I found that overwelmingly the WDW CMs were super friendly, helpful, talented and just great all around.

I think the reasons that have been posited by the posters above are valid ones.