Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Traditional Glow Fanatic

Disneyland CM Housing Ideas

I will be working in the Disney College Program at Disneyland this upcoming Januarary. My problem is that I am not familiar with apartments or housing options in and around Orange County as well as drive times to and from the surrounding area. I'm currently up in Sacramento and hope to move in down close to the resort in early Janurary. I have been doing a bit of searching online for places as well that I have an Apartment Magazine for Orange County.

My problem that I'm currently seeing is 2 things.

One, I am not familiar with city reputations as well as which cities would be the best choice.

Secondly, the prices compared to Sacramento seem to be about $400-$500 more expensive all around. (I currently am renting a 3 bedroom/1 bath for $1050, and my previous 1 bedroom/1 bath apartment was $950 both being in nicer areas).

Now, there are a few things to consider if you are suggesting places to live. I have a cat and do not want to give it up to move. While I do have a lot of appliances and furniture, if things don't go so well I won't be staying down there long. Ideally this will be a permanent move though. So if a place without anything at all (No Fridge/Washer/Dryer) is available and cheaper, I'd be moving more stuff with me and putting less in storage. The other more probable option is that I will be renting a storage unit up here and attempting to move very little with me into a fully furnished place.

I know this is a lot to ask as well that I'm not giving full information about what's possible, but I'm hoping that some locals will be generous enough to help me get a good start for when I move down there.

• Minion

Re: Disneyland CM Housing Ideas

I would advise making a list of possible apartment complexes that look good and then come down one weekend and see them in person. Most of them do not look anywhere near as nice as they do in the magazines or websites. Gives you a chance to see the neighborhood and surrounding areas too. Just remember....if it sounds too good to be true, there's probably a reason.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Where are you looking?
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Sock Puppet

1 word: Expensive.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Depends on where you look and what you want. We have a 1 bedroom upper condo in LB. 1 block from the water and 45 minutes from the park and we pay $900. I would rather live here in the Belmont Shore area than anywhere in OC. The big thing you need to get used to is the driving. You will drive 30-45 minutes to get anywhere.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• I LOVE Disneyland :)

I did the WDW CP Program in 01! It was so much fun, the money thing does suck but if you figure it out you will have a great time. Does Disney have any program where you could find other CPs that might want to share an apartment? Good luck with everything!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MC Director of Sales and Marketing

Blog Entries

There are good and bad parts to mostly every city. Before you make a blanket judgement, you might want to spend a weekend down here and get familiar with the different areas of Southern California.

Good luck on your search!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse princess View Post
    Of course I am worried about your mental health. I want happiness for all. Like we can all be like the Smurfs. But without Gargomel. He was mean.

• Namaste and Good Luck

You can always post flyers around backstage for roommates. There are people looking to get out of their current living situations that work at the park. Just print your flyers on bright pink paper. You'll get many more calls that way. It is expensive down here. It's a bummer.
    Rebel Justin
    Back & Reporting for Duty!

My CM Tenure: 1/11/03 - 5/30/06; 3/5/11-?
    Tomorrowland Stores

I am planning on trying to come down at some point and look around for housing one or two times before I need to be moving. As for driving times, I'm somewhat used to them needing to get to Sacramento on a regular basis since I live a bit out of the ways.

Unfortunately while the Flordia program does offer housing, Disneyland does not offer any kind of housing assistance programs. I was hoping that by a slime chance my packet of information would have some more information, but that doesn't seem to exsist. About the only "Contacting other CM" info they have is that they offer vanpooling services. Speaking of the packet I recieved, it's decked out comepletely with the "Where Dreams Come True" campaign. They might not have the front stage plans ready for having cups, napkins and so forth, but they are well prepared for new hires it seems.

I have not really narrowed my search to any one city in particular yet. I am looking more along the coast for options though. I've stayed in the surrounding areas of OC for a little while here and there on vacation and have some ideas. I didn't really like the Ontario area, but Oceanside/Carlsbad was nice. Right on the coast is a bit more and these cities being a bit farther away, but it might just be what I need to settle for.

I've also attempted to look into any chance of a low income housing program, with most of the sites being a 2-3 year waiting list. In any case I'm more looking for something decent enough that is temporary (Month to Month lease). Once I've been down there for a while, I'll move to a better place. Hopefully things work out well for me and I'll be able to bounce up once I finish this program and get my degree.

Thanks for the help so far and keep em comming.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

You should seriously consider someplace like Belmont Shore or around there. We are close enough to a college campus that we have lots of students looking for roommates. The area is quiet, has a great music and art scene as well as a great restaurant and club scene if that's what you're into. I really love where I live and I couldn't recommend it more.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

I'll put it on the top of my list.

• Crockett's Explorer Guide

welcome to southern california, the land of paying too much.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Like I said in another thread in my last post...

You know why it costs so much to live in So Cal?

'cuz its worth it!
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Rock Star Minion

Question #1: Male or Female?

Independent of that:
    1. You should look into roommates or rooms openings in houses. I don't think DL will be paying you enough to live here otherwise.

2. Try to live as close as possible to DL. The traffic can be awful and unpredictable.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Male and married as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast