Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 54
  1. #1

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    174

    Tid Bits from TDA

    Have been told about a few things that most of you may or may not know. I found it interesting and thought you would also:

    Fantasmic - Changes are currently on the drawing board and they hops to have a firm plan in place by spring. One of the changes that looks like it might happen sooner rather than later is changing the Peter Pan-Columbia scene into a Pirates-Captain Jack scene. Also on the drawing board with possible fast tracj status is a plan to turn the Columbia into the Black Pearl. Burbank is pushing this and would like to have it done before next May. Other chantges are being proposed, including new animation.

    Pirate Island - Has been given the green light. Contruction will start after the holidays and finish sometime in April.

    Parade of Dreams - will continue through the Holiday season with one showing a day, accompaning the Holiday Parade (same as last year). According to my source, the Parade and "Remember..;. Dreams Come True" are here to stay, with current projections have them hear an additional three years (five year runs total for both).

  2. #2

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Corona, CA
    Posts
    47

    Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    awesome awesome. Does that mean they might have to redo bits of the F! music score? I remember it being different when they had that whole Ursula part.

    I'm not a big fan of the Pinnochio partin F!, i'm secretly wanting them to change that haha.

    Pirate Island, i guess it's fine, as most of the kids who go to Tom Sawyer Island don't even know who Tom Sawyer is, or even read the book until 7th or 8th grade.

  3. #3

    • If We Can Dream It...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Far Far Away From the Magic
    Posts
    961

    Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    Did Disney learn nothing from there over exposure of stitch? Turning the Columbia into the Black Pearl?!?!? The pirates movies are good but I think they already have enough (if not too much) pirate stuff in the parks. Thanks for the info.
    - Horizonsfan

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SoCal, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,789

    Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    Quote Originally Posted by Newseditor44 View Post
    Fantasmic - Changes are currently on the drawing board and they hops to have a firm plan in place by spring. One of the changes that looks like it might happen sooner rather than later is changing the Peter Pan-Columbia scene into a Pirates-Captain Jack scene. Also on the drawing board with possible fast tracj status is a plan to turn the Columbia into the Black Pearl. Burbank is pushing this and would like to have it done before next May. Other chantges are being proposed, including new animation.

    Pirate Island - Has been given the green light. Contruction will start after the holidays and finish sometime in April.
    This is exactly what happens when the cart starts pushing the horse. When the Marketing and Executive MBA gurus start pushing their own "vision" into the product.

    I remember when the creative folks that understood just what makes Disneyland so special...including the traditions, the history, the heritage, the class of the place...decided just what got put into the Park, or changed, or plussed, or eliminated. And then and only then was it up to Marketing to sell those things to the public. Only. Marketing was never allowed to change things in the Park except for the occasional limited time promotions like perhaps having a location where things were given away, etc.

    Almost every time some inexperienced Burbank Exec and/or Marketing gurus called the shots...it turned out to be a long-term embarrassment.

    Today...it seems everyone in the Company considers the Parks their own personal billboard for hawking and shilling whatever the current hot thing is. The hell with the Old West, or Mark Twain's stories, or the first American vessel to circle the globe. Baby...let's slap something over a classic because we got to get the most mileage outta this here billion dollar movie and keep the ball rolling until the next one comes out. Ugh. The Prostitution of Disneyland.

    I'm all for changes at the Park if they are done with care and long-term vision that compliments the original concept of Disneyland. And I've no objection to creating something new to tie-in with a current film if it fits within those original concepts and standards. But just changing too much over because you got a hot movie on your hands, is just short-term hawking, IMHO.

    Couple years from now kids won't be interested in pirates any more than they were in the Old West.

    Even if the OP turns out to be wrong and just a bad rumor...I'm already getting tired of the over-pirating of Disneyland. Already I'm getting tired of Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean. IMHO, they've turned a timeless attraction into a blatant hawking of the film franchise with additions that will soon date it. Even knowing they can probably easily rip out Depp and Rush and such at some later date if they wish ("Announcing The Return of the Classic Original Pirates of the Carribbean!")...I think it's just a sell out in the short-run.

    There are times these days when visiting the Park...that I just don't feel like I'm in that wonderful place where the real world is left behind, called Disneyland. Instead I get the feeling that I'm being bombarded with advertising where some of my favorite attractions used to be.



    By the way just now at the hotel I'm staying at in Pomona, on the 8th floor...we just had a nice little earthquake that's swaying the building quite a bit! May not have felt like anything down on the ground.
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 11-04-2006 at 12:15 PM.

  5. #5

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    174

    Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    By the way just now at the hotel I'm staying at in Pomona, on the 8th floor...we just had a nice little earthquake that's swaying the building quite a bit! May not have felt like anything down on the ground.
    3.5 just south of Mt Baldy

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SoCal, U.S.A.
    Posts
    2,789

    Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    Quote Originally Posted by Newseditor44 View Post
    3.5 just south of Mt Baldy
    Thanks! Good thing I'm getting out of Dodge and moving on down to Anaheim in a few hours.

    Emergency Services (Fire, Police) sirens have been passing by non-stop since the quake. Don't know if they have any real emergency or if they are just going through some pre-set motions. But there's a lot of activity on the streets down there since the shaker.
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 11-04-2006 at 12:12 PM.

  7. #7

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,402

    Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    Totally agree with you, Opus and Horizons. Even though things are old and people don't take the time to find out what their historical context is doesn't mean they're good for a replacement.

    Peter Pan is a fantastic segment of Fantasmic with fun music, great action, and I'm just not sure how good a Pirate of the Caribbean segment can be. What made Fantasmic! so great is that underneath the story of good and evil is a real tribute to the magic of disney animation. Animation is the true star of fantasmic because I don't think people would sit through a show that featured the characters from Amargeddon boating around. (maybe they would but I digress).

    As for turning TSI into Pirate Island, I'm just gonna have to learn to deal and hope that they don't change it so much that the Mark Twain and canoes look out of place. The problem I have with that (TSI) change and even the Columbia turning into the Black Pearl is that it's becoming a MONOPOLY of Pirates and that's NOT a good thing, my friends.

    Can you imagine if Fantaslyand was Tinkerbell EVERYTHING? Let's turn Dumbo into the Pixie Dust flying with Tink ride! Let's put Tinkerbell in It's a Small World because she's so small! Who cares if she already has a presence in the Peter Pan ride... we need to milk her for everything she's got!

    sigh. I love Pirates of the Caribbean films but they don't need to cater everything to these movies just because they're a smash success. You have a ride already. That's more than most movies can ever hope for.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,365

    Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    If they take away the Peter Pan scene for another dang Pirates thing I'm going to be majorly pissed. Pirates has enough stuff in the park!

  9. #9

    • It's all about Theme!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,604

    Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    Quote Originally Posted by Newseditor44 View Post
    Have been told about a few things that most of you may or may not know. I found it interesting and thought you would also:

    Fantasmic - Changes are currently on the drawing board and they hops to have a firm plan in place by spring. One of the changes that looks like it might happen sooner rather than later is changing the Peter Pan-Columbia scene into a Pirates-Captain Jack scene. Also on the drawing board with possible fast tracj status is a plan to turn the Columbia into the Black Pearl. Burbank is pushing this and would like to have it done before next May. Other chantges are being proposed, including new animation.

    Pirate Island - Has been given the green light. Contruction will start after the holidays and finish sometime in April.

    Parade of Dreams - will continue through the Holiday season with one showing a day, accompaning the Holiday Parade (same as last year). According to my source, the Parade and "Remember..;. Dreams Come True" are here to stay, with current projections have them hear an additional three years (five year runs total for both).
    Where did you get this info? Because POD and Pirate Island probably won't happen. Because Disneyland.com still says only the X-MAS PARADE is playing and most of this info is probably from someone who doesn't know. Take it for a rumor.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

    And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

  10. #10

    • Animatronic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,860

    Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    Finally someone at Disney has realized that the "Hard Facts that Made America" are not expanding through dangerous territory, or taming shallow rivers with marvelous machines, or even building majestic ships which sailed around the world. The "Hard Facts" are that marketing departments are horribly short sighted and like to think their guests are dumb. Sure, IQ has risen 15 points in the past 50 years, sure, information is so much more available now, and sure, a shallow fantasy is less interesting than real history, but Marketing departments will have none of it. Letting a marketing department take this week's fad and run all over a historical and complex environment is so well suited to the hard facts facing Amercia today. Bravo! Much like seeing the scalped settler was unsettling in it's day, seeing the trashed themes and botched artistry will be unsettling today. Disney finally gets what Walt meant by hard facts and they seem determined to show us them in all their macabe and unsettling glory.

    Of course the Walt version of hard facts was set in the past, with a clear indication such problems were behind us. How quaint. It's nice to see the current executives have no qualms about showing us current hard facts with no hope in sight.

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    174

    Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Where did you get this info? Because POD and Pirate Island probably won't happen. Because Disneyland.com still says only the X-MAS PARADE is playing and most of this info is probably from someone who doesn't know. Take it for a rumor.
    Three different people, all of whom are in management with Disney. one in Burbank, two at TDA.

    And you are right, everything should be taken as rumor until its made official. Things change on the spur of a moment, especially in "Marketingland". If someone in that deprtment farts the wrong way, the lingering scent could force an unexpected redesign of their branding strategy. Noting is ever in concrete, even when its in concrete!

    if I were to guess, I would say the Pirates stuff will hit a wall once it reaches final decision stages. Ed Grier (sp?) has a good head on his shoulders. I don't think he is being given enough credit. I don't get the impression that Jay Rosulo is too excited about any of this either. I think a majority of the pressure is coming from Burbank. They are constantly looking for new ways to self promote the films, with no thoughts about the long term impact. When push comes to shove, I believe cooler heads will previal.

    Plus, has anyone ever thought that pulling any of this off by April would be incredibly difficult, almost impossible? From what I can tell, most of these ideas are still on the drawing board.

    I am just passing a long what I have been told. Take it for what its worth, which at this point is all rumor.
    Last edited by Newseditor44; 11-04-2006 at 01:44 PM.

  12. #12

    • Circle of Ancients
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Paris, France / Los Angeles
    Posts
    38,886
    Blog Entries
    2

    Wink Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    This is exactly what happens when the cart starts pushing the horse. When the Marketing and Executive MBA gurus start pushing their own "vision" into the product.

    I remember when the creative folks that understood just what makes Disneyland so special...including the traditions, the history, the heritage, the class of the place...decided just what got put into the Park, or changed, or plussed, or eliminated. And then and only then was it up to Marketing to sell those things to the public. Only. Marketing was never allowed to change things in the Park except for the occasional limited time promotions like perhaps having a location where things were given away, etc.

    Almost every time some inexperienced Burbank Exec and/or Marketing gurus called the shots...it turned out to be a long-term embarrassment.

    Today...it seems everyone in the Company considers the Parks their own personal billboard for hawking and shilling whatever the current hot thing is. The hell with the Old West, or Mark Twain's stories, or the first American vessel to circle the globe. Baby...let's slap something over a classic because we got to get the most mileage outta this here billion dollar movie and keep the ball rolling until the next one comes out. Ugh. The Prostitution of Disneyland.

    I'm all for changes at the Park if they are done with care and long-term vision that compliments the original concept of Disneyland. And I've no objection to creating something new to tie-in with a current film if it fits within those original concepts and standards. But just changing too much over because you got a hot movie on your hands, is just short-term hawking, IMHO.

    Couple years from now kids won't be interested in pirates any more than they were in the Old West.
    ...

    .

    I disagree completely. As long as it's done well, there's nothing wrong with Disneyland evolving.... as long as there is imagination left in the world, right?

  13. #13

    • MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles & Orange County
    Posts
    21,402

    Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    I disagree completely. As long as it's done well, there's nothing wrong with Disneyland evolving.... as long as there is imagination left in the world, right?
    There's nothing wrong with Disneyland evolving if they actually use SOME imagination to evolve with.

    Milking the hell out of Pirates lacks any imagination and creativity.


    Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

    Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

  14. #14

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    192

    Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    All of this makes me want to cry.

  15. #15

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    50

    Re: Tid Bits from TDA

    I would hardly call changing anything having to do with tallships or islands in the park to a Pirates of the Caribbean theme, imagination. Whatever happened to making original stories or ideas for attractions...

    But hey! We all may just overreacting and none or not all of this will happen.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. TDL Xmas video bits...
    By TDLFAN in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-30-2006, 07:49 PM
  2. Little Bits of Brilliance
    By aerinpegadrak in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-04-2006, 02:58 PM
  3. Crocs Bits 'n' Bites
    By tbminnie in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-16-2006, 07:25 PM
  4. 50 bits of trivia for the 50th
    By Tom Chaney in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2005, 09:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •