Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Oh my Goodness!

Re: PEZZ Polled Privately! 11/4 DCA Trip Report with Team PEZ.

That photo thing is such a good idea! Way to get people involved and letting WDI what they think of the park! I'm glad you got picked to participate.
    Thanks for your report as well - I really enjoyed your photo captions! Made me laugh.

• For You!

Did you turn in your camera? What was your "payment"? What did you report? Just curious.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

The camera and documents are all theirs. The payment was American greenbacks (cash).

I will go into depth on our conversation when time permits (after work) later today.

And more photos!

Stay tuned...
    How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Great report, Pezz
    Mike

• Again! Again! Again!

Great report so far PEZ!!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• "714"

hahah! that picture of the cups is good! come on disney! lets get with it!

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

OK. Time to get to the interview portion of the Trip Report.

At 4PM, I gave PEZette a few bucks and told her to get lost because they only wanted to talk to ME. She was able to enjoy Turtle Talk and Animation Academy in my absence.

When the Cast Member showed up to collect me (next to the ToT exit) I asked politely if I could take her picture and she responded politely, "No". So that's how it's going to be! Seriously though, I pretty much knew that pictures were verboten during the de-briefing and there was not much to see anyway. We went through the CM doorway in the perimeter, sort of where the Simba Tram makes it's endless round-trip. A CM whizzed by on a Segway and reminded me of one of the topics I wanted to discuss.

She led me into a sparsely accommodated trailer with basic office cubicles. In one of these I met with Mike, a 21 year Disney veteran who didn't look any more than 40 YO. He was well groomed and affable and put me at ease by thanking me for my time and efforts and telling me that he was now going to sell me a timeshare. We laughed and laughed. I asked if he was from Burbank, Anaheim, or Other. His badge stated his hometown in OH. He lives on Orlando and WDW is home for him. This I found a little strange but did not delve further. Maybe he is the ace interviewer they bring in when times are dire? I can say that he was very encouraging and kept me talking, so I'm sure he gets a lot of ideas from people.

He started by asking me about myself and where I live (local), how often I visit (I guessed 2-3 times per month but maybe more?). He also asked what percentage of time I went at DCA vs. D-Land. "Fifty percent of the time?" he asked hopefully. I guessed more like 20 percent (and that was probably being generous). He wanted to get to know a little more about why this would be and perhaps come up with ideas that would get me over to DCA perhaps 40 percent of the time.

We started by downloading the photos from the camera. I was only able to get the darn thing to take 12 pictures and that was a feat in itself, according to Mike. All pictures belong to Disney and I do not have them, so I can tell you that they were spectacular!

One of the first pictures was of a Dream Team (Dream Squad? Dream Syndicate?) member with his cool, personalized black bag. I told him that I have sort of mixed feelings about the whole Million Dreams hing because I was trying to wring a couple of Dream FastPasses out of this guy and all I got was an Honorary Citizen button. Gee, thanks. He asked what I knew about the promotion. I explained a little bit about guests getting little freebies and special attention thingies and somewhere down the line some real loot will be forked out. I mentioned that the operation of the thing seems a little stilted, since they don't know if they are giving out someone's Dream or not. I was able to bring my beloved Segway into the conversation (OK I have Segway on the brain) by mentioning my dream of dong the Segway tour of DCA. It never came to fruition after being mentioned in the AP Newsletter, except by rumor. On the other hand, I know some readers would be thrilled to have the Million Dream light blue ear-hat. Me: not so much. So I postulated about granting peoples dreams based on what they actually want. He seemed intrigued by this idea, as if no one ever thought of THAT before. Perhaps it is part of his interviewing technique. Saying things like "That's a really great idea" often enough that maybe sometimes it's actually true.

HERE IS AN IDEA FOR FREE: Have APers log into their Disney website and SIGN UP for dreams they would like to come true. Like a checklist of items. Than every time they go into the park they might (just might) trigger some sort of device in the scanner that tells the CM at the gate to give them a little trinket that they signed up for. Like mineral rights to Big Thunder Mountain. I don't know.

Next picture I'm pretty sure was the Lake. He asked what the picture was "of". I said something like "A bunch of stagnant water". There is nothing there but static water. I tried to rack by brains about all the cool ideas brought up in these threads about what to do with the big lake at DCA. It can't be an ocean. There's no waves! My big preference is to put a ride there. He asked if I meant to drain it, fill it in, and then build something. I said no, just do SOMETHING with the water. Put paddle boats on it. Put in an underwater walkway. Have surfers. Even better, have mermaids! I mentioned the Motor Boat Cruise. Just a little kiddie ride on a track. Make them look like Sea-Doos or something cool. Or go all out and have the (scale model) Queen Mary sail again (similar to Columbia or Mark Twain). Some sort of motion and not just the Dead Sea.

Oh no. I am no half-baked Armchair Imagineer. I am a fully baked Armchair Imagineer and I stand on the shoulders of the great ones on this website. Enough posturing for now...

The next picture was Golden Dreams with Whoopie Goldberg's big mug flying from a huge banner outside. What a way to ruin a lovely piece of architechture. The orange of the banner itself did not go with the light greens and marble of the structure at all. I am not a decorator but I know ugly. And I am also not a big fan of Whoopi. I had to ask if the banner was expected to bring people INTO the theater or what? I saw it one time and the face statues were kinda cool but it was too much Whoopi and not enough California history for me. And I flunked History. I have no idea if they have some sort of contract with Whoopi but my advice is to let it go.

Then I took a picture of something I actually liked. The Christmas decorations are starting to go up over at the San Fran section (Aristocat has great pics on her latest TR) and I like the colors. The buildings themselves are freshly painted in vibrant hues and the glass balls make it look so festive. Mike was worried at first. He wanted to know why I took the picture and I explained how pretty it is. He seemed relieved and asked "What about the... timing?" I said that sure it's pretty early to start up the whole Holiday thing but it's also unrealistic to expect two parks to be transformed into Christmas mode the day after Thanksgiving. You have to start early somewhere.

I think my next picture was the lobby of the ToT. I told him that I love the theming and attention to detail in the queue for this ride. The ride itself, I can take or leave. ToT (especially with all the Halloween offerings) stands above the rest of the park in terms of immersive experience. The decor, the music, the CM costumes, everything. For me, the line IS the ride.

I also took a picture of the outside of Monsters Inc. I said that it's a really nice little ride and I make a point to go on it whenever I am at DCA. I called it a "Must Do" ride. Like Haunted Mansion or Pirates or Space Mountain. He asked what other rides were "Must Do" rides at DCA. I said Soarin' Over California (the orange groves always make me tear up). He asked "What else?"

There was a long silence.

"Well, when I am with my 5YO twins, we HAVE to see Playhouse Disney". And Heimlich's Chew Chew. And that's about it. I like Mulholland Madness. I guess. But it's not a "Must Do" experience. CA Screamin' is a cool coaster but I have done it maybe 3 times. And ToT 3 times. Ever.

So this led into a big discussion about the overall issues with DCA. The main crux were 2 questions:

"Is is unique?"
    "Is it Disney?"

Mike wanted my opinion on the overall Theming of DCA. Best themed "Land"? Bug's Land. It has clever details everywhere you look. From the bug lighting to the popsicle stick benches. Unique? Yes. Disney? Absolutely.

Worst themed? Paradise Pier. It's an amusement park as seen by an amusement park. The rides are like the ones everywhere else. They may be good rides, but unique? Hardly. Disney? Not to me. The pier at night is lovely when seen from Ariel's Grotto. The lights reflect on the water. It's just like the Clay County Fair in Iowa I went to years ago. Or Coney Island. (Heck, the Sun Wheel is just like the Coney Island Wonder Wheel - without the added flair of being really tall, really OLD and really rusted. Now THAT's a fun swinging gondola ride! I screamed like a girl the one and only time I rode it.) It's just like the Santa Monica Pier without the grime or actual ocean. It's just like the Santa Cruz boardwalk or the... The list goes on.

Mike was interested to know my thoughts on the whole idea of a California themed park. Good idea? Not to me. I live here. I told him I would much rather have a mini-Epcot where I could visit different lands. Or just turn the place into PIXAR Land! They already have Turtle Talk, Bug's Land, Monsters Inc, Block Party Bash, and now Cars. Why not have an Incredibles Land where you be a super hero? As I mentioned to Mike, all of the Disney/PIXAR characters are Disney Characters in my book. More so than Darth Vader or Indiana Jones will ever be (I love those attractions so don't start). I also pointed out that the Incredibles were going to be taking over a large chunk of the Baordwalk and he acted like he didn't know anything about it.

I also brought up the fact that they should not be TWO PARKS. Have California Land. Althogh the little plaque out front might look a little strange. "Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy. And California-which is all 3 at once."

I also mentioned that if they are going to be two different parks, Annual Passes should have DIFFERENT BLACKOUT DAYS. SoCal passes and up should have no blackout days at DCA.

Mike wrapped up our chat (we were still going after almost an hour and the lady next to us could only come up with 20 minutes of conversation) by asking a few generalized questions: "What type of people do you think DCA appeals to?" Answer: "People who like to drink". When prompted, I discussed how more muture individuals might like DCA because it doesn't have the Amusement Park stigma. I didn't want to say that it's an amusement park without the "amusement". That would just be mean and untrue.

In all, I don't think I said anything that is new to anyone on these boards. But I did use as much of everyone's great ideas as I could. I should have just given him the Mice Chat business card and said "If you want opinions, here where you'll find them!" But I didn't want to come off as a spook or kook or Disnoid. Boy would THAT be embarassing!

But I'm sure the people at Market Research look in these
    threads regulary anyway. And if Mike is out here reading this: You have my cell number. Call me any time! I have another really cool idea for Segways that will save DCA! Seriously...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Wow, I'm sooooooo JEALOUS!! I would love love LOVE to tell someone at Disney what the problems are at DCA. Heck, I'd pay THEM to let me do it as long as they take my thoughts seriously!

But that's really awesome, Pezz!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Well well well... great job there with the interview, and the report! Lucky break to be interviewed like that! I could only hope for such an opportunity.

• I LOVE Disneyland :)

Wow, you did a great job. I wonder how many people they talk to in a day and if they go into detail like you! How fun, I hope I get picked sometime!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Your ideas were awesome, I have no disagreements with you.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

So, were you able to hear what the lady next door came up with in her 20 minutes? Any good stuff?

Sounds like they couldn't have picked a better person - you picked things that have been mentioned a lot here, but didn't go for the in your face obvious stuff!! Great job!! (and you even got PAID for it!!)
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

And back to photos.

Flik's (formerly Fun) Fair with new X-Mas accoutrements:

Take out, anyone?

Poo poo platter? My fave line from that movie.

Ever wonder what's in those?

Me neither.

Riding high!

Francis' Ladybug Boogie ride was still behind a wall but it was running. We could see it from the left side and also through the seams on the wall. And we could hear it pretty well too.

We took in the Tough to be a Bug show and liked it very much. The Hopper animatronic is amazing. I especially liked the screams PEZette emitted while being jabbed in the back by unseen mosquitos. Aren't Dads cool?

A little later, it was time for Block Party! But first:

A little drive-by fun Lightning and Mater...

and...

Rollergirls!

Too fast for flash.

Would you buy a drink from this thing?

I put the camera away to enjoy the Bash. PEZette had never seen it and found it very fun. We had a little dinner over at the Pacific Wharf and spotted this celebrity:

It's Aaron! One of the winners of the Gumball Rally! Here he is striking a "candid pose" for the camera. (I think that is his lovely wife in the background) He was very funny and humble about the whole thing, saying that they just "lucked out" on the FastPasses during the Rally. I saw the picture of the three of them crammed into one Rodger Rabbit car and they really worked for that trophy!

PEZette and I went back to Soarin' (2nd time) and she looked so responsible that they gave her the special job of handing the CM at the end of the line a small card:

I didn't take a picture of the other side, in Spanish (but I wanted to).

Last attraction for the day:

Muppetvision

It's kind of sad when the pre-show is better than the show.

The movie looked pretty old and beat up. The 3D glasses were in even worse shape and I got a headache from the whole experience. The clever little TV skits while waiting were so much more amusing.

Hope you all enjoyed and thanks for stopping by!
    Last edited by PEZZ Lightyear; 01-06-2007 at 10:25 AM.

No offense but if wwhat you wrote on this thread is all you discussed you really missed a true oppurtunity.

At the moment Disney is pulling together a large group of imagineers and are working on a serious expansion for DCA and the rest of the resort. One of thethings this group is doing is allowing, for the first time, peopls suggestions without the pre-selected yes and no questions.

You could have easily pointed out some serious things that people in this site have been protesting about since day one of the resort expansion.

Sitelines
    reduced theming in some attractions
    closed eating facilities and attraction facilities
    night entertainment offerings.
    the lack of charm of the sun plaza
    the lack of a proper family attraction in bugsland

Luckily the group does have some very interesting ideas that could add a few more attractions to the pier besides Midway Mania and a whole redressing of both route 66 and parts of Hollywood within the next few years.

Glad you had a great time and the pictures are great.

• Banned User

This is why I don't care when I get asked to take a survey... because they might be this, help with there next campaign, or future attraction...

Great photos... tr... and survey tr.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast