Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• The Fantasyland guy

Radius of the loop?

I'm going to Disneyland this week and have to do a "real life" experience for my physics class. My friends and I are going to ride the roller coaster and we need to know the radius of the loop on CA Screaming and I couldn't find the measurement online so I thought someone on micechat might know or know where to find it.

I already called guest relations and they didn't know the answer.

Anyone know?

• It's all nonsense

Re: Radius of the loop?

Is the loop a perfect circle? I know many coaster loops are almost more of an oval shape. And the radius of an oval is way beyond my understanding of anything.

You could probably contact the company who made it.

• I'm not really here

I can't seem to find it anywhere from Google. But with two rulers, a friend, some simple Trig and a good guess at how far away from the loop you are you can figure it out. I would try asking a CM on the ride though, they might know. Ride foreman if possible. Explain why it's important and they'll probaly help you find out.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Perhaps you can find out the name of the company that designed it. They might be able to help you out with the specifics. Good luck!
    <o>

• The Fantasyland guy

anyone know the name of the company?

• I'm not really here

It was built by Intamin AG http://www.intamin.ch/ (their website)

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Sock Puppet

The loop is a teardrop shape... so to measure the radius, which will be different lenghts at different spots, you could stand in front of it, measure your distance from it. Then do some trig. BUT, that would be a little tricky with all the construction going on over there. I would be lazy and just guess by figuring out the length of the train and trying to guess by its size when it goes around the loop.

• Rock Star Minion

It's not a circle, so you get no radius. Circumference, maybe.
    Pretty cool physics, though, riding through a loop.
    1. It can't go too fast, since the g-forces will knock most people out.
    2. It can't change directions too quickly, for the same reason.
    3. So, it loses speed while going steeply up then goes through the loop within the range of {stalling speed < train speed < passing out speed}.

I'd get:
    1. Time it takes for train to pass a point. Take about 50 measurements. Note the variance (a measure your poor timing skills).
    2. Length of train.
    3. Calculate speed.
    4. Two measured poles. Say, a school meter stick and a longer, measurable fixed object in the park (say, a lamppost).
    5. Oh, and hope you are on level ground the whole time.
    6. 100-foot tape measure. Or one of those fancy infrared ones.
    7. Early access to the park. Guests get in the way. And you might have to ride it 30 or 40 times for experimental purposes.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Disneyland Paris Fan

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
    Is the loop a perfect circle? I know many coaster loops are almost more of an oval shape. And the radius of an oval is way beyond my understanding of anything.
    I own a very nice book about roller coasters (you can see it on http://www.rollercoastergiants.nl/ ; only the site is in Dutch!). It has a lot of information about rollercoasters, e.g. the history of rollercoasters.
    This books says that the first rollercoasters had loops which were shaped like a perfect circle. But that this was not a great succes; a prefect circle causes too many g-forces. People got out of these first loops sick.
    So later they found out that an teardrop form (or oval...) worked better.

Intamin AG has limited support on California Screamin'. WDI did so much extra work to the ride, that Intamin no longer considers it to be in their operating roster. the modifications have been extensive enough to warrant being handed over completely to Disney. That means that for crashes and other major services, Disney will have to look in-house to fix it.

That said, you should still be able to get that info from Intamin.

• I'm not really here

You could always do what we physicists do... assume the weird bizarre shape is an oval to make the math easier. Then just calculate the semi-minor axis of the oval.

• Banned User

I think it's possible to have a "radius", if you switch over to, let's say, polar coordinates and have the very bottom center be the origin. Then a function such as cos2ө can have the loop represent one leaf.

• It's all nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by TotoMarvs View Post
    I think it's possible to have a "radius", if you switch over to, let's say, polar coordinates and have the very bottom center be the origin. Then a function such as cos2ө can have the loop represent one leaf.

• The Fantasyland guy

thanks guys!

I never really ever noticed that it was in a tear drop shape. I guess I would of noticed that this week when I got there.

• Banned User

sorry for my nerd talk lol. i guess it pertains more to calculus than physics, but it's still kind of related.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast