• Reject no more!

Tips for a foreigner's first time

Okay tipsters, here’s a question for you:

My parents have a foreign exchange student from the Ukraine and I am going to surprise him with a 2-day visit to DL. I’ve heard a rumor that at City Hall, you can get some sort of ‘first-timer’ sticker. What about an honorary citizen certificate or a park guide in Ukrainian? I’m looking for those famous Disney extras that could make his visit the most magical it can be.

He’s 16, fluent in English and has NEVER been to any theme park or amusement ride before. His mom visited Disneyland five years ago and the photos and stories have created in his mind a Mecca that he must experience. Every time I see him, he jokes “Let’s go to Disneyland right now!” (mind you, my parents live in Phoenix). When he saw a video clip of California Screamin’ he asked in disbelief, “How does the train stay on the track?” I’m picking him up from school next week and simply telling him “Let’s go to Disneyland right now.” This is going to be a fun trip.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!
    ><> just call me n8 <><

• Banned User

Re: Tips for a foreigner's first time

yeah, visit It's A Small World. No matter how old anyone is, the first time going there usually amazes people because of the sheer size and number of moving chuckie dolls.

With that said, ride every single ride that you can, don't skip any, even if you think it's lame. If you don't go on one of those rides, they will kind of regret not going, because you don't know how long it will be before he gets to go to the parks again.

Yeah. As part of the Year of a Million Dreams promotion both 'Honorary Citizen' AND '1st Visit Buttons' are widley available. Sadly there is no Ukrainian translation of the park maps. I've searched the various languages (tried to get a souvenir for some Russians back home, didn't work) and it isn't one.
    Otherwise, frankly it depends on his interests. Come to the park, take a tour is he pleases. But otherwise just take him through the park and experience the classis Disney attractions:
    Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, Indy, POTC, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain, anything on the RoA, Big Thunder, small world (I know he's 16, but still- you must, tradition), Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Star Tours. See a parade, watch Fantasmic!, and watch the fireworks. Plus, just plain wander around enjoy the sights and sounds of incredible themeing, remark on the atmosphere characters roaming around and the ambient background music. For a first time, a stay of 2 or 3 days is prefered so you are not so rushed and can see shows (like Billy Hill) and such.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Reject no more!

Good tips so far - thanks! I totally forgot about IASW. That is the ultimate foreign ambassador.

Where can you get the pins? City Hall, I presume?

I'm looking forward to taking him to some of the musty attractions I don't go to anymore like HISTA. He has never seen a 3-D movie before, much less one with fake mice freaking you out.
    ><> just call me n8 <><

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

don't forget Its Tought To Be A Bug over at DCA, that should trip him out
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

Quote Originally Posted by 33 reject View Post
    Good tips so far - thanks! I totally forgot about IASW. That is the ultimate foreign ambassador.

Where can you get the pins? City Hall, I presume?

I'm looking forward to taking him to some of the musty attractions I don't go to anymore like HISTA. He has never seen a 3-D movie before, much less one with fake mice freaking you out.
    City Hall will have them. So will actually most stores at this point.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• It's a dead man's party!

Yes, I believe City Hall is the place to get those buttons.

I suggest going on the Mark Twain and asking a CM if he can be a co-pilot. And when you get on Indiana Jones, kinda feel the scene out to see if the people on the mics are having fun that day so you can tell them it's his first experience on the ride. I know they make birthday announcements on that ride, so maybe they'll do a "1st visit" announcement for him. Just a thought.
    Ghost Mickey Popcorn Bucket Mission? 10/14/10 SUCCESS! FINALLY!!!!

• Head Salesman

Wow. It sounds like this kid is going to have a blast!

I've always wanted to do something like that with some of my young cousins who have never been to the park and are not likely to visit it any time soon. I always thought about blindfolding them and putting earphones on them. I'd lead them onto one of the center, elevated platforms of the train station and do the reveal. Their first sight would be straight down Main Street with the castle at the end. They're REALLY into the Disney Princesses, so the castle would be the icing on the cake.
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• Circle of Ancients

First off ... this sounds awesome. You guys are sure to have an awesome time.

Second, I thought the band Foreigner was going to Disneyland. LOL!!!

Just make sure he isn't "Hot Blooded".

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

Tell us how the trip goes! I'm really curious on how he reacts! That is one of my favorite things. To see a first timer experience the magic! It's such a great feeling, especially when you have the honor of taking them around! I'm so excited for you! :0)
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• Reject no more!

Thanks for the tips everyone! I will have to write a mini-report after I get back on 11/19. If anyone happens to bump into us at the park on Friday or Saturday, feel free to say hello to us. I'm sure you'll recognize him by the ear-to-ear smile, the thick russian sounding accent, and a first-timer pin.
    ><> just call me n8 <><