Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    • Disneyland is Mine!!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    58

    DCA Tunnel System?

    I was just wondering if DCA uses a similar tunnel system as WDW because I haven't seen CMs walking around much like in Disneyland.

  2. #2

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Within 78 miles of WDW...
    Posts
    8,864

    Re: DCA Tunnel System?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfanatic529 View Post
    I was just wondering if DCA uses a similar tunnel system as WDW because I haven't seen CMs walking around much like in Disneyland.
    nope, just a lot of backstage service roads...

    really Magic kingdom's utilidors have never been reproduced in full, the only other park with them a little is epcot and thats connecting one service road with another going under innoventions i think.... (I dont remember, i know epcot has a first floor not accessable to guests somewhere near there...)

  3. #3

    • The Fantasyland guy
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Fantasyland
    Posts
    981

    Re: DCA Tunnel System?

    The only tunnle I am aware of goes below the transportation hub. This way CM's can go between DCA and DL without walking through the enterence plaza.




  4. #4

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Within 78 miles of WDW...
    Posts
    8,864

    Re: DCA Tunnel System?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    The only tunnle I am aware of goes below the transportation hub. This way CM's can go between DCA and DL without walking through the enterence plaza.
    I did not know of that tunnel... learn something new everyday...

  5. #5

    • Special Agent
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,197

    Re: DCA Tunnel System?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfanatic529 View Post
    I was just wondering if DCA uses a similar tunnel system as WDW because I haven't seen CMs walking around much like in Disneyland.
    There is a tunnel from Disneyland to DCA that runs underneath the east tram area - but other than that there's no tunnels at DCA. Most everything can be reached by the road that runs around the perimeter of the park. The backstage road runs all the way from behind Greetings from California at the park entrance, behind Hollywood and Fliks, and ends near Dino Jacks in Paradise Pier.

  6. #6

    • Special Agent
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    3,197

    Re: DCA Tunnel System?

    On the other hand - it should be pointed out that DownTown Disney shares a very complex underground basement with the Grand Californian Hotel - so that trucks and supplies can be brought into DownTown Disney and the hotel without guests ever being impacted.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Riverside Ca
    Posts
    1,447

    Re: DCA Tunnel System?

    Kinda funny that DL is strapped for space, the company knows how to use space, and still they resort to old methods. I work for a casino and we have an entire basement level of tunnels and walkways complete with restraunts and such. This way the actual floor of the casino is 98% available to the customer. I wonder why they didn't build this way with DCA...

  8. #8

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Twin City
    Posts
    9,509

    Re: DCA Tunnel System?

    Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    On the other hand - it should be pointed out that DownTown Disney shares a very complex underground basement with the Grand Californian Hotel - so that trucks and supplies can be brought into DownTown Disney and the hotel without guests ever being impacted.
    World of Disney's stock room is underground. I found that out while buying somethign there.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

  9. #9

    • Darkbeer
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: DCA Tunnel System?

    Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Kinda funny that DL is strapped for space, the company knows how to use space, and still they resort to old methods. I work for a casino and we have an entire basement level of tunnels and walkways complete with restraunts and such. This way the actual floor of the casino is 98% available to the customer. I wonder why they didn't build this way with DCA...
    Basically cost vs benefit.

    They decided it was worth it to build a basement for the Grand Californian and Downtown Disney, but it wasn't worth it for the park. But then again, they weren't approving much in expenses for DCA.

    The outer ring is the cheaper way to go, and why only the Magic Kingdom at WDW ever got the basement (it was something that Walt wanted, after dealing with the CM's on stage at Disneyland).
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

  10. #10

    • MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"
    • Online

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
    Posts
    1,505

    Re: DCA Tunnel System?

    Probably alot of storage is underground for everything they do.


    Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

  11. #11

    • love my friends
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    canadian living in las vegas, nv
    Posts
    36,995

    Re: DCA Tunnel System?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    The only tunnle I am aware of goes below the transportation hub. This way CM's can go between DCA and DL without walking through the enterence plaza.

    yes that is THE TUNNEL used it all the time when I worekd at DCA

    now there is a sort of tunnel ... in between frontier land, and fantasyland except it is actually above ground... but it looks like a tunnel you are walking thru

    Friends for life

  12. #12

    • love my friends
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    canadian living in las vegas, nv
    Posts
    36,995

    Re: DCA Tunnel System?

    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1939 View Post
    World of Disney's stock room is underground. I found that out while buying somethign there.

    yep this is true.. and it is like a tunnel.. because it connects part of the hotel to the world of disney store.. i used to work there soemtimes I hated it because there is NO WINDOWS so you feel so confined hated it there

    Friends for life

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Where's the tunnel doors?
    By Stitchy in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-12-2009, 02:54 PM
  2. Pirate Light at the End of the Tunnel
    By Witches of Morva in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 04:54 PM
  3. Which tunnel do you use?
    By Tom Chaney in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-13-2005, 11:18 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •