Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Cowboy Jack

Space Mountain Launch Illusion

Ok, it it just me or if when going up the first climb hill inside the tube with the lights flashing past and you look up at the end of the tube there is a solar system (or something to that effect) that appers and slowly spins. If you stare at the black dot in the middle of the rotating system it slowly starts to feel like you are going straight up and by the time you reach the top of the tube it feels like you are going completely vertical into the building. I had my brother in law try this and he said he didn't notice anything but every time I ride it happens to me. Has anyone else felt this effect or is it just me? Either way I think it is great even if no one else notices.

Stare right into the little black dot that the system rotates around and before you know it you feel like you are launching full on vertical.

Re: Space Mountain Launch Illusion

It's probably because you have fell victim to the "Spinning Tunnel" Effect.
    I worked in a Haunted House for 7 Years and our Spinnin Tunnel always messed with people's heads. We even put in a plexy glass floor so they couldn't just look down and away. It sure took me a while to get used to it. Space Mountains does nothing for me than just another bad Arss effect.

• Minion

I've never tried that, but it sounds pretty cool!

I thought this thread was about the rotating effect. It never convinces me, and I think it's because the screens should extend a little further.

No one beats Universal's tram when it comes to that effect!

• "714"

Sounds cool, i will have to try it! (: thanks 4 the info.

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

• Popular Princess

that happens to me too!!! i feel better knowing i'm not the only one!
    I'd rather be at Disneyland

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

I've never tried that, I'll have to give it a shot next time. Similarly cool...ride with sunglasses on. Extra dark and you can still see the stars. Also, look backwards the entire ride. It kinda puts a kink in your neck, but you get really disoriented and it's like a whole new ride.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The first couple times I rode the "new" Space Mountain, I got disoriented, and it really made that part of the ride that much more entertaining. But after that, I haven't been able to get that feeling again. I've tried, including looking straight ahead into the center of the spinning "solar system" ... the closest I've come to feeling disoriented again is briefly when I look at the screens themselves as they're "spinning" ...but even then, the feeling of disorientation doesn't last very long at all.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    I've never tried that, I'll have to give it a shot next time. Similarly cool...ride with sunglasses on. Extra dark and you can still see the stars. Also, look backwards the entire ride. It kinda puts a kink in your neck, but you get really disoriented and it's like a whole new ride.
    I did this the other day during the tunnel. It was cool to see it reset itself for the next train. I got a kink in my shoulder only because I was trying to reach into my back pocket for the park map.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

yeah it only happened to me the first couple times as well. now it just looks like a neat specail effect that does not work on me anymore. but the one at universal studios gets me all the time!

• Basking in birthday love

I usually look straight above me in the tunnel, and that gets me pretty dizzy.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I really love the lights at the end of the ride that make you feel like you're slowing down and even going backwards a bit. The new effects make space mountain even MORE fun!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Premium Youngling and

Quote Originally Posted by flatfnder View Post
    If you stare at the black dot in the middle of the rotating system it slowly starts to feel like you are going straight up and by the time you reach the top of the tube it feels like you are going completely vertical into the building. I had my brother in law try this and he said he didn't notice anything but every time I ride it happens to me. Has anyone else felt this effect or is it just me? Either way I think it is great even if no one else notices.

Stare right into the little black dot that the system rotates around and before you know it you feel like you are launching full on vertical.
    I will definatley have to try this next time.

• Shubisha

I rode ca screamin at night with my sunglasses on during halloween treat and it made my head feel dizzy for some reason. =P

• Why do you keep talking?

Thanks for not even giving me credit for these awesome new ideas I gave you!

I've tried it, and I've felt nothing of that sort, the "spinning" effect on me is hit or miss depending on what I'm looking at. I'll have to try it again adn see if anything's different.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Cowboy Jack

Similarly cool...ride with sunglasses on.
    That is a great idea, I will have to try that one. As far as the spinning effect goes I have never really noticed that, just the effect of going vertical instead of on an angle from looking at the black dot in the middle of the solar system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast