Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: What DL ride was open for the shortest amount of time.

According to the Disneyland: Then, Now and Forever, hardback book The Phantom Boats were the attraction opened for the shortest amount of time.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    As an example, the "Trees on the future Park site were marked with Green Yellow and Red ribbons for Save In Place, Box and Move, or Trash respectively, but the Colorblind Bulldozer Operator just plowed them all down" story.

Turns out that one may have been a tall tale made up out of whole cloth by Dick Nunis wortking Publicity in the early years.
    You're correct about all that except the person. It was Marty Sklar, not Dick Nunis who some years ago admitted to embellishing that one a tad.

The late Bill Evans (Legendary Disney Landscape Architect) told me that he was on some panel with Marty at a Disney Fan convention somewhere, and right there Marty confessed to that one and apologized to Bill (who had said he never really recalled any such thing first-hand himself) right on stage! He said they all got a good laugh out of it.

Which makes it even stranger to know that even though that "confession" about that story came many years ago...it was still used with gusto in the recent Disneyland 50th film!

Could be of course that whoever wrote the script (and those that approved it) weren't "up-to-date" on such things.
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 11-13-2006 at 06:23 PM.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    Canal Boats of the World (mud banks of the world)
    Before storybookland
    Ding-Ding-Ding I think we have a winner!!

Canal Boats of the World lasted from July 1955 until early 1956, when it was closed and turned into Storybookland. It lasted no more than 10 months because Storybookland opened June 18, 1956.

And althougth they did re-use the same route, the boats were replaced, the land was completely bulldozed and reshaped and all of the Storybookland buildings and landscaping added, so I wouldn't say it was a continuos ride from 1955.
    Besides, I don't think that Disneyland christened a golden boat for the 50th either.
    Last edited by Circarama; 11-13-2006 at 06:28 PM. Reason: add more info
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post

Canal Boats of the World lasted from July 1955 until early 1956, when it was closed and turned into Storybookland. It lasted no more than 10 months because Storybookland opened June 18, 1956.

And althougth they did re-use the same route, the boats were replaced, the land was completely bulldozed and reshaped and all of the Storybookland buildings and landscaping added, so I wouldn't say it was a continuos ride from 1955.
    Besides, I don't think that Disneyland christened a golden boat for the 50th either.
    Storybookland DID receive a golden boat, AND a golden light house. But yes, an argument can easily be made that Canal Boats of the World was a seperate attraction from Storybook, and only lasted 10 months.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• Disney Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post

There was a golden Storybook boat for the 50th. She was Tinkerbell!

Quote Originally Posted by mrmainstreet View Post
    Storybookland DID receive a golden boat, AND a golden light house.
    I had no idea.

I love these kinds of threads because they force me to go back and look at my old E-Tickets, The Nickel Tour and Disneyland:The Inside Story books for help in determining factoids.
    And I love that we have sooooo many passionate Disneyland-philes on MIceChat.
    Good job Disneyland history buffs!!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• I love this place!

Just as an aside, I believe the Phantom Boats also holds the distinction of being the first ride removed from Disneyland. So not only the shortest lived, but also the first removed.

Whoa!!
    I found more info in "The Nickel Tour" on page 94.
    Apparently the Tomorrowland Boats opened on July 17, 1955 and they were renamed the Phantom Boats on August 16, 1955. They closed down after the 1955 Christmas season, and Joe Fowler attempted to bring Air Boats (like they use on the Everglades) to the Tomorrowland Lagoon.
    Unfortunately, when the Disney lawyers saw one of the Air Boats in action and realized the liabilty issued that could happen if a guest fell into a 54" reciprocating blade, they put the kibosh on the Air Boats and brought the Phantom Boats back for a 2nd season in the summer of 1956.
    Hmmm, sounds like the Tomorrowland Boats had a very short reign. Only 30 days!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Banned User

Nah, i think IASW was the shortest lived attraction yet to date

Heh, rocket pods, i remember us always stopping during the ride and the "technical difficulties" message would come up over the intercom...

I'm too young to remember the boats haha.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123