Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• See you there!

What’s wrong (right) with Disneyland?

Caution! Long essay ahead!

Read at your own risk, you will never get these (those) minutes back if you read this essay!

What’s wrong (right) with Disneyland?

There have been discussions on the Internet about what’s wrong (right) with Disneyland for almost as long as people have been using the Internet. I remember some of the same discussions about these things back in the mid-to-late 1990’s when I participated in Alt.Disney.Disneyland and Rec.Arts.Disney.Parks. The same discussions, the same finger pointing. It’s all the Annual Passholder’s fault (why are there so many Annual Passholders? Why can’t they just stay home?)! It’s all the disabled folks in wheelchairs, using crutches, canes and scooters fault (why can’t they just stay home?) It’s all the people who use those dreadful strollers fault (why can’t they just leave their kids at home and stay home?)! It’s all those “Day Guests” and “Vacationers” fault, they don’t know where they are going and they just get in the way (why can’t they just stay home?)!

If as some folks seem to think – “All those Annual Passholders, they just clog up the park, there are too many of them they get in the way!” Well, if there are more “Annual Passholders” at Disneyland than anybody else, maybe they DO belong there, and we should either try get along with them or go something else.

Some other folks seem to think – All those disabled folks, they just get in the way! I personally do not think that there are more disabled folks at Disneyland than anybody else, but IF there are, or even if there are not, maybe we should either try to get along with them, or go someplace else.

Still others seem to think – All those pesky people with strollers, single wide, double wide, triple wide, even quadruple wide! They just get in the way! I personally do not think there are more folks with strollers than anybody else, but, if there are, or even if there are not, maybe we should try to get along with them, or go someplace else.

The last time I had a problem with a stroller was back when they had those ankle-basher bumpers. Wow, could they bash ankles. But now, the strollers are much safer for the non-stroller users and at most they provide is some entertainment for the rest of us.

I remember one Sunday morning watching a determined mom trying to get her triple-wide through the open gate at a regular turn style, no matter what she tried, it just would not fit. She tried straight on, she tried sideways, she tried upside-down, she tried lifting it over the gate, nothing worked. The only thing she did not try was to disassemble the sroller. A manager told her that they would let her in through the center, double gate (right next to the turn style) but she was going to get that stroller in there in the regular gate, no matter what. Well, long story short, she finally gave up and used the center gate, but not before she provided the of us in line with some much needed entertainment. Well, if there are more folks with strollers than without, maybe we should either try to get along with them, or go someplace else.

Others think that it is those pesky Day-Guests and Vacationers and Foreign Tourists who cause all the problems. After all they have no idea where they are going, and just get in the way. Well, I have had many an entertaining moment watching some tour groups. For instance I still remember one Sunday close to noon, waiting for friends to show up at the Hub. A group of 30 or so tourists at the Hub who each had to have their picture taken with Walt and Mickey and with the group of the other 29 tourists, and with their own camera. Here was the tour guide, with a pile of 30 cameras, taking pictures, one at a time with each camera, and some of the tourists saying, "No, No! Take 2 with my camera!" (after this happened several times, the tour guide finally started holding up the camera and asking “How many?”) If there are more Day-Guests or Vacationers, or Tourists, maybe, just maybe we need to try to get along with them, or go something else.

After all this, I have come to a conclusion. I submit that it is not their fault! It is nobody’s fault! It is not Disney’s fault! In fact, there is no fault! That is just the way it is! It is not going to change, no matter how much we discuss it, no matter how upset we get with each other. No matter how much we think we should be able to change it (or them)! It just isn’t going to change! Yeah, I know many folks long for the days back in the 1960’s, 1970’s, 1980’s, even the 1990’s when there were private parties, when there were light crowds, when there was an “off-season”. Well, those days are gone forever. We have today, and tomorrow (maybe), but not yesterday. We need to make the best of it, we need to enjoy ourselves now, and each day, because that’s the way life is, that is all we have, it comes at you one day at time. You get one of each day presented in order, no more. I think we need to make the most of each day given to us.

It seems to me that maybe, just maybe all of us need to try to get along, the Annual Passholders, the Disabled, the folks with strollers and the Day-Guests, Tourists and Vacationers!

If you read this far, I'm sorry it was so long. But I do hope you enjoyed it. If you didn’t read this far, you won’t read this line anyway and that is OK too!

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    Last edited by CUatDL; 11-14-2006 at 07:32 PM.

Re: What’s wrong (right) with Disneyland?

you said it perfectly. nothing is ever going to change in regards to who visits disneyland. off season seems to be a thing of the past overall since the 50th has come and gone.

i appreciate your opinion and agree with you. we must learn to live together in order to happy. IASW is the perfect example of this. ya know?

thanks for sharing this.
    kingdom hearts <3er

• Keep that Zebra safe...

BRAVO!

We are all equals in Disneyland! (Well okay ladies we know were better then men everywhere! Just kidding! ^.^)

Disneyland Visits - 264
    DCA Visits - 52
    and counting...

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

WRONG:

1. Tomorrowland
    2. Dress code (many CM's look sloppy)
    3. Stage appearance (each CM, when in costume, needs to stay in their 'land' - that is why there are so many backdoors - Walt wanted to keep everything true to it's each land
    4. Park costumes worn 'off stage' - not good seeing a Jungle Cruise worker at the Gas Station, or a Plaza Inn worker all 'untucked' smoking as he walks into the local Stater Bros.
    5. Tomorrowland

Lot's of other good things.....

• Dumbo Love driving me mad

Gosh, I never considered this. Everyone at Disneyland is there because they love it, or are in the process of falling in love with it (first timers). I don't think anyone has more, or less, of a right to be there than anyone else.

Generally the ones I find the most annoying are the parents who have traveled across the country and are trying to cram all the magic they can into one day. The kids are crying because they are so exausted and the parents are frazzled and snapping at anyone who even dares to threaten their experience. These are the people who stand in the no standing area of the fireworks, sit their kids in front of you at parades, and tries to push against traffic often knocking people over.

This last weekend, I had two ladies and their child try and take the spot I was saving for my stepdad and mom while they bought coffee from the coffee cart on Main Street. They even stepped all over my stepdads Marine Corp jacket on Veteran's Day as they placed their child in stroller in front of me as I sat on the curb to watch the fireworks.

I know (for the most part) it is not these people's fault, I just wish that they could figure out they need more than one day.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post
    It just isn’t going to change! Yeah, I know many folks long for the days back in the 1960’s, 1970’s, 1980’s, even the 1990’s when there were private parties, when there were light crowds, when there was an “off-season”. Well, those days are gone forever.
    Of course it will change. Disneyland is always changing. I agree that Disney has come a long way their past, and I think it's silly to assume that as of this date, and this year, they aren't going to change anymore.

A perfect example of this are the changes that they recently made to the Special Assistant Pass program to better accommodate disabled guests, while trying to root out the fakers. I understand there isn't too much they can do about the people faking it - as it's easier to accommodate everyone than turn away the one person that DOES need assistance - but at least they are trying.

I do think that they made a mistake in pushing the Annual Passports - but at the time the value of Disneyland had decreased so much, with few new attraction offerings, that the residents were unwilling to pay even the discounted "Southern California Salute" ticket price. I think that lead to less revenue and less capital expenditures in the park. It fed a vicious cycle. But I think things are turning around now - as it seems with each new ride they build, each new ride they refurbish, and each building they paint and bring back to life - that the value of the park is going up - and as such the price of the Annual Passes are going up too. Hopefully soon we will see passes that are much more in line with the other Disney parks - somewhere in the 400 to 500 dollar range, and a park that's worthy of that price.

All things change - sometimes they change for the worst, as they did in the 90s. And sometimes they change for the better. I don't agree with the idea that things never change. But I do agree with the idea that it's all just for enjoyment - and there's no real reason to worry about what happens.

As for the folks with strollers - I'm afraid that's one thing that won't change.

• Minion

I think if guests had a personal stroller "maximum size" arch at the esplanade security check - - if your stroller couldn't fit through it you had to use one of Disneyland's COMPLIMENTARY strollers, while yours is safely parked for the day - - it would seem ultimately fair and largely accepted in time. After all, people accept that kids under a certain height can't drive on Autopia or those over a certain weight can't ride the bee swing.

Just pass out a height and width limit for strollers at the parking booth, so people have some warning before they pack the U-Haul for the duration. Also you could have one of the sizing arches at the parking tram lot (or even by the elevators on each parking level) so people could figure this out and get over it before they made the trip over to the park.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one" - - Mr. Spock.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 11-14-2006 at 09:11 PM.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Whatever may be wrong with Disneyland, its guests are no problem at all.

(Unless the thugs all come down from Valencia when Magic Mountain closes, then the guests might become a problem.)

• I'm not really here

See, I agree completely with you... everyone just needs to learn to accept everyone else who is there and get along as equals. However, the problem exists in everyone learning to accept everyone else who is there and getting along as equals. People seem to think they are the ones who have the right to do what they want, when they want, and if they don't get it... it's someones fault and they're gonna make someone pay. Disneyland is wonderful... individuals are wonderful... groups of people can really be stupid sometimes.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    individuals are wonderful... groups of people can really be stupid sometimes.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals." - Men in Black

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    I think if guests had a personal stroller "maximum size" arch at the esplanade security check - - if your stroller couldn't fit through it you had to use one of Disneyland's COMPLIMENTARY strollers, while yours is safely parked for the day - - it would seem ultimately fair and largely accepted in time. After all, people accept that kids under a certain height can't drive on Autopia or those over a certain weight can't ride the bee swing.

Just pass out a height and width limit for strollers at the parking booth, so people have some warning before they pack the U-Haul for the duration. Also you could have one of the sizing arches at the parking tram lot (or even by the elevators on each parking level) so people could figure this out and get over it before they made the trip over to the park.

It doesn't work on airplanes - maybe if it worked at DL the airlines could learn from the idea of enforcement.
    Minnietoo

I'm for harmony, too, though I think lumping every group together and saying everyone is OK under all circumstances is overgeneralizing. Doing so implies that any remotely reasonable suggestion about managing a particular group is out of order, which is not true. There is always room for improvement and Disneyland should strive for enhancement of the overall experience. I totally agree with DisneylandDaddy about Cast Members stepping out of their land in costume and his other points (Tomorrowland has ceased to have meaning). What's right: the Disneyland Railroad, Catch-a-Flave at DCA with caramel topping, the thrill of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, listening to the song on Casey Junior's Circus Train from Dumbo, having a toast with friends at the Napa Rose lounge. Honoring America and Her vets at the flag ceremony. Rowing Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes...

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    See, I agree completely with you... everyone just needs to learn to accept everyone else who is there and get along as equals. However, the problem exists in everyone learning to accept everyone else who is there and getting along as equals. People seem to think they are the ones who have the right to do what they want, when they want, and if they don't get it... it's someones fault and they're gonna make someone pay. Disneyland is wonderful... individuals are wonderful... groups of people can really be stupid sometimes.

I wasn't going to respond to replies to this thread, but you said this so well I just could not resist. Thanks for the addition to the thought I was trying to express.

CU@DL

Andy

• The pride is back.

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post

I think this would be close to impossible. Can you imagine telling someone who's just hiked the length of the parking structure with a loaded stroller (loaded with more than just house apes) that they have to cram everything into a DL stroller? Imagine the complaints. "My kid has to have his/her stroller." "My diaper bag/purse/other personal belongings won't fit on this one." "It's this." "It's that." "It's the other."

I'm not for letting people run wild with their own two-seaters, but I don't think this is the answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast