The Return of the Rocket Jets

Sources have said the Rocket Jets will return to their rightfull place atop the PeopleMover loading area
    Question is are they gonna be the white original rockets or the sad looking astro orbiter, does anybody know?
    and what will it be called will Ouimet keep it Astro Orbiter or Rocket Jets?
    Lets discuss

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    It won't be the original rockets, because they are gone. The original rockets were replaced with the satelites on the Observatron.

I would guess it'd be something silver/white/blue, to go with the newer TL scheme.

• Minion

Good thoughts... probably a year or two ago I would have suggested something more along the lines of a shuttle theme, but having read some enthusiastic posters speak on this subject, and with the Ansari X-Prize yielding a successful result, I'd get on the horn with Richard Banson and suggest he and Virgin sponsor the renewed ride, and make this version SpaceShipOne. Or, use the basic idea without the Virgin tie-in.

Each spoke currently has a rocket attached perendicularly. Imagine if a mechanism were designed so that each rocket loads perpendicular to the central tower itself, on an L-shaped arm, hinged to the tower at the top of the L. When the ride begins, the L arm lifts at its hinge, so that when it fully extends, the seated rider is actually facing straight up as if on a real rocket. Then a mechanism on the rocket swings up so you are now facing forward like the old Rocket Jets used to. Then at the end of the ride, the rocket turns back to its original position, as if firing retro rockets the way a real rocket would. It'd be more complex than the original, which would probably mean the same kind of weight issues that motivated the Jets' move in the first place, but it would now be much more than just an elevated Dumbo spinner.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    It won't be the original rockets, because they are gone. The original rockets were replaced with the satelites on the Observatron.

I would guess it'd be something silver/white/blue, to go with the newer TL scheme.
    I read on another thread that the Observatron doesn't even work anymore, is that right? Is that something that can't be fixed? Is it strange that they wouldn't want things like that working for the 50th?
    As nice as the other parks are, we must always remember that it all began at Disneyland. Disneyland should be the crown jewel in the Disney crown.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Quote Originally Posted by EpTxGuy
    I read on another thread that the Observatron doesn't even work anymore, is that right? Is that something that can't be fixed? Is it strange that they wouldn't want things like that working for the 50th?
    They would probably just take that mechanism out and build a new one up there. These rides aren't expensive at all.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• CM for 4 years!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrateslife4me84
    They would probably just take that mechanism out and build a new one up there. These rides aren't expensive at all.
    How much you think it would cost to replace? $100,000??

• Minion

I'm not sure that the Observatron doesn't work. More likely, it COULD work, it just costs more to operate to justify the cost. Besides, even if it doesn't work, it could be something independent of the ride mechanisms, like the sound system or special effects.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    Not THAT cheap...cheap by Disney standards, the company that builds $100,000,000 rides...

no more than a few million, keeping in mind added cost due to location and queue work. The lighting and other theming that Disney adds to the rides are not cheap...(after all, that is what takes EVEREST from being a $10-15 million coaster to a $100m e-ticket)
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Banned User

It would be relatively cheap to move the Orbitor back to where it used to be.

I'd love to see something up there resembling the rocket jets that are currently at WDW

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    At Disney, the meeting of the 75 managers to discuss what to do about the Observatron would cost "$100,000.00.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• pronounced, Casey Jr. 1

I've always hated that they moved the rockets down to the ground, thats why I never go on them.