Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• White and Nerdy

The official 'Change 'DCA' to 'Pixarland' bandwagon starts right here

It's common knowledge by now that the 'California' theme at DCA is a bust, and that Pixar invasion into DCA has been already happening little by little.

With the addition of Midway Madness, the rumored Cars ride where Route 66 now stands, a rumored 'Incredibles' ride in addition to the already established 'A Bugs Land', 'It's tough to be a Bug,' and the 'Monster's Inc.' dark ride, why doesn't Disney turn the whole thing over to Pixar and turn the entire thing into 'Pixarland?'

Yes, there are existing rides there that don't quite fit the bill of a 'Pixarland' (Tower of Terror, Soarin over California, Grizzly Bear Rapids) but there are other rides that would fit in nicely (California Screamin, Mullholland Madness, Hyperion Theater).

This park is probably the only one that could do this and get away with a complete name change and makeover and make it work.

• The pride is back.

Re: The official 'Change 'DCA' to 'Pixarland' bandwagon starts right here

Um, no thanks.

• Rawr...

Nah. I think DCA is saveable. I honestly like the way it is, minus the boardwalk carnie rides.
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• White and Nerdy

In the spirit of good communication I just wanted to pointed out that the initial post of this thread is about 2/3 tongue in cheek, 1/3 semi-serious/let's discuss if it's possible.

• The pride is back.

I'm not really seeing what's tongue in cheek about the original post.

I feel that there's been too much Pixar already shoehorned in where it doesn't belong in DCA. The Incredibles ride, interesting as it sounds, doesn't fit. Midway Mania doesn't fit. Monsters, as much as I may enjoy the ride, doesn't fit.

I don't feel that the California theme should be abandoned. I don't feel that it's too late to resurrect and reinvent some of the original concepts into a California experience. That has nothing to do with Pixar. Retheming rides to make them Pixar-related does nothing except cheapen Pixar properties and put a band-aid on some bad ideas at DCA.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

I personally think they should abandon the California Theme completely. When i visited for the first time in July the first words out of my mouth were...

"Why is it named California, I know were in California I didn't come here to see CA culture ill get that when i hit san diego, LA etc..."

We spent a WHOLE 6 hours of our 3 day hopper pass in DCA rest of the time was in Disneyland.

I don't know what they should retheme in DCA but the whole CA thing didn't sell me.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• White and Nerdy

That's my point... that park right now is a jumble of Pixar and California and I personally feel it needs to decide what it is -- California Adventure or Pixarland. Right now, I think it's moving towards becoming Pixarland. In the context of Pixarland, those rides do work. And it seems as though that is the way Lassetter is directing DCA towards.

Can it continue to be both and be a viable park?

(And after re-reading my initial post again, I too fail to see where the tongue in cheek part is. My frame of mind didn't translate into what I wrote.)

• Rawr...

Hokay... maybe the themes dont mix, but why should it become one or the other? And whats to say that you are supposed to experience California? Maybe the origional intention of the name "California Adventure" was to let people know that it was in California, and thus, it makes sence to theme the lands around California.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Quote Originally Posted by IndyJn511 View Post
    Hokay... maybe the themes dont mix, but why should it become one or the other? And whats to say that you are supposed to experience California? Maybe the origional intention of the name "California Adventure" was to let people know that it was in California, and thus, it makes sence to theme the lands around California.
    From what i read it was political pushing that forced Disney to theme it the way it is... Please correct me if I am wrong? I don't mind the California theme I just thought it was too much in comparison to Disneyland and we will ALWAYS compare any themepark to the Original Disneyland.

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• The pride is back.

Maybe the origional intention of the name "California Adventure" was to let people know that it was in California, and thus, it makes sence to theme the lands around California.
    No, it's not called "Disney's California Adventure" because it's in California. The concept and lands were all supposed to relate to California, and originally, they did. The wineries, the beach culture, Hollywood, the wharf and Pacific rim, the redwood forests and Yellowstone, the crops of the central valleys - all were designed to put people in an environment that conveyed California. I believe they failed by making it too much a mirror image of present-day CA. More of the park should have included admittedly exciting elements of California history (i.e. the Gold Rush, a seminal period in the state's history that is nowhere to be found in DCA; or the overblown, fictionalized Hollywood that MGM used to do pretty well).

Adding a lot of Pixar-related rides where they don't belong doesn't help matters. And yes, if they're going to call it Disney's California Adventure, it should live up to its name.

• Rawr...

Well, my origional point was (and I guess I didn't get this across as well as I could have) why not just change the name? Not all the way to Pixarland... but something that fits the best of both worlds.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I think what they ought to just do is drop the "Disney's California Adventure" name and just call the whole dang place "Disneyland Resort".

It would just be so much simpler, I think.

• The pride is back.

The solution to this and so many other problems, real or imagined(overcrowding, not enough to do at DCA, too many APs, etc. etc. etc.), is to connect Tomorrowland with the Hollywood Backlot and make it one big park. Admit that DCA was a noble, failed experiment (okay, maybe not that noble), cut the losses, and make DL the biggest happy place on earth.

• White and Nerdy

They also pitched DCA as place where the rides are little edgier, a little more adventurous, a place where, unlike Disneyland, you can go upside down. The California theming never caught on with me or my family, but the idea of having a park next door where you can have a more extreme theme park experience that is Still 'Disney' did.

Sadly, the California theme has been a liability -- mostly because its execution has been extremely lacking, and it looks like the suits are finally listening to that. Question is, what are they going to turn it into?

• White and Nerdy

Well, my origional point was (and I guess I didn't get this across as well as I could have) why not just change the name? Not all the way to Pixarland... but something that fits the best of both worlds.
    Absolutely. It wouldn't be too hard to do, and if they got the right name, they could refocus a lot of people's sights on going there. Especially with all those new Pixar rides going in.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast