Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Are you "Unequally Yolked" Disneyland Style?

In the Christian community, the term "Unequally Yolked" is used to describe a couple or relationship where one person is a Christain and the other is not. Not a problem with Mrs, GG and I, but what we are "Unequally Yolked" on is our passion for Disneyland. I'm a big fanatic and her attitude is she could take it or leave it. Rarely is she as excited as me to hop on out to the park on a moments notice. In fact, 9 times out of 10 I'm met with a "do we really have to go again?" response when I suggest a visit using our AP's. What's more, I'm seriously considering doing something in the future that I never thought I would do....visit the park by myself!

To give you some reference, we visit the parks roughly 2-3 times a month these days. I could easily be there 2-3 times a week if the schedule allowed for it.

Are there others out there that struggle with a spouse (or significant other) that really could care less about going to Disneyland and it always seems to be a struggle to get them to go to the parks with you? Am I alone here?
    Last edited by ganggreen4jc; 11-15-2006 at 10:47 AM.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Re: Are you "Unequally Yoked" Disneyland Style?

When my kids dad and I were together, he HATED going to DL. He'd complain all the way there and a lot when we were there. After having kids, hed stay home with the baby while I took our older daughter.
    My SO now, loves going. Which in turn makes me a seriously happy girl.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Keep that Zebra safe...

You are not alone! I'm struggling to convert my boyfriend into having a little more enthusiasm for Disney. I managed to get him to go with me to Gumball Rally and Mickey's Halloween Treat and such but it's an uphill battle. The first and hardest step I managed was getting him to buy an AP didnt convince him into the Premium but for now the Deluxe is my reassurance that I'm making progress!

Disneyland Visits - 264
    DCA Visits - 52
    and counting...

• Rawr...

Yea, my GF isn't really into Disney as much as I am, but she at least feigns interest for my benefit. In turn, I listen patiently to her when she talks about anatomy... blarg! But yea, she puts up with me.
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

My dear hubby and I agree to disagree about Disneyland. My kids and I have AP's, and travel from Vegas to Anaheim about every 6 weeks. He stays home. I hate camping, and he loves it, so I stay home while he and the kids camp. Life is good, and stressless.

• The pride is back.

My Beloved was a Disney widow for quite some time. Then something interesting happened. She spent a few hours there with me when she was at a conference at the DLH last March. Everything changed. Now, she's got an AP (her choice), and she makes as many decisions about when we go as I do. I feel like such a Disney missionary.

And P.S., is "yoked," either equally or unequally, really such a great way to think about marriage?

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Wife and I are equally yolked in both ways!

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

My ex hated Disneyland and all things amusement park related. He hated rollercoasters, standing in line, waiting for food, etc etc etc. Which is why now, anyone I date, must like amusement parks. It was just too much of a hassel to drag him there and listen to him complain.

I think many couples have things the other doesn't necessarily like to do. It just depends on how you are willing to deal with it. In fact, I think it's healthy that you do things seperately and together. Sometimes you do things you don't want to do but you do them because you love the other person.

Off my soapbox now!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • has a brand new mindset

At my house, it would depend on who you ask. If you asked my hubby if he loves Disneyland, he'd more than likely say something like "I don't know, it's ok, I suppose" (three of his typical responses to just about anything rolled up into one!!) I am definitely way more into Disneyland than he is, but a lot of that is just because when I like something I like to know MORE (and more and more and more) while he is more likely to just enjoy the experience.

BUT, if you ask me, hubby isn't letting on as to how much he really does have some love for Disneyland - I can tell when we are there and by the 2nd day he is already talking about when we might be able to come back. Before this last trip, he was saying stuff like "its time to travel somewhere other than Disneyland" but once we were there he was planning a trip with his siblings & their families. Granted, that "trip" was at least 18 months away, but it was a start. Since we've been home, we have found ourselves talking more than once about what we could do differently in our budget to allow for us to go once a year. Last weekend it was up to twice a year!! AND he hasn't totally said no to my crazy idea of coming down the first weekend in January so I can say goodbye to Tassie before she heads back to Aussie-land!

So, short answer (I just can't give those!) is yeah, we are unequally yoked, but not as unequally as some people might think.
    I love my awesome crazy wonderful friends!!

"Do you remember in kindergarten, how you’d meet a kid,
    then 10 seconds later you’d be playing like you were best friends?"

• Party Gras!Fantasmic!MSEP

In the middle of nowhere... Ridgecrest, CA.

My hubby and I definately are complete opposites when it comes to anything Disney. I LOVE everything Disney, him not so much. But I love him anyway! He will go a few times a year to make me happy, but he would much rather be doing something else. Ok with me, I love going to the park all by myself. I do enjy going with enthusiasts like myself though!

• Artsy Fartsy

YES YES YES!!! This is my relationship to a T. I have an AP and visit the park about 4-6 times a year (alone or with friends) while my hubby stays home and watches The Boy. My hubby despises anything Disney. He will watch a Pixar movie every once in a while, but never a classic like Robin Hood or Sleeping Beauty. He thinks I have an obssesion. The rest of my family like Disney. As a matter of fact my Mom is a big Disney fan, just not as much as I am. It's been a battle but I'm making my way through it. Thats why I love Micechat so much your all "crazy" (quoting my hubby) like me.

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m4v8ubq0103m8.png[/IMG]

It started out this way. My hubby didn't have the same Disney childhood I did. However when we started visiting DL, he slowly started to change. Not to long ago he found his first hidden Mickey (one I didn't know about, gasp!). So now he's looking more at the details. We go once a week and he seems happy to be there so that's good.

• Former Loiterer

Quote Originally Posted by DarkRider View Post
    And P.S., is "yoked," either equally or unequally, really such a great way to think about marriage?
    Well, when you think about it, two people who are married or seriously dating are going on life's journey bound together. When you make a commitment to the other person for a lifetime, you've bound yourselves together by the bonds of love and matrimony. If you want to go opposite directions, it makes it a little difficult to get where you want to go with the other person being at odds with you.
    Though I have no SO, I'm fairly "unequally yoked" when it comes to Disneyland and my family. I'm a certifiable Disney NUT and the rest of my family could take it or leave it. Doesn't stop me from going though. I have a big enough network of friends that like it that I can just cycle through them all and get my fix when necessary. A Girl's Gotta Do What a Girl's Gotta Do!
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

• is on the rocks

Hmm - yes, that's DH and I. He doesn't dislike DL and is willing to go occasionally, but I would be going every week if I could. I think part of it is that I grew up with Disney and he didn't. He also loves roller coasters and actually appreciates a fast ride more than detailed theming. Although he did concede that the Disney parks in general are just a lot nicer looking and more "put-together."

Doesn't bother me, though - there are a lot of things I like that he doesn't care for and vice versa. I personally think it's healthy for us to do some things apart as opposed to doing EVERYTHING together.
    She did it!

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

I am very lucky, my husband enjoys going on the trips I plan to the DLR. He knows that DL makes me happy, therefore it makes him happy that I am happy!

My husband even has a favorite ride (Indy) & hotel (GCH). He also loves a lot of the food served at the DLR. He never complains, and even likes to watch the fireworks! He is even interested when I update him on the things I learn here on MiceChat!

Yes sir, I'm very lucky...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast