Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Closed Account

RockIt Space Mountain vs. Rockin' Space Mountain

So if I recall from months back the new updated Space Mountain rehab which took almost two years was going to provide us with new music in the daytime hours and a different tune during the evening hours. The new evening hours ride would be known as RockIT Space Mountain! Well I got my AP newsletter in the mail yesterday to find out that it is now being called Rockin' Space Mountain along with Rockin' California Screamin' (what is up with Disney droppin' all the 'g's?). According to the newsletter the music will be from various well known rock groups on both coasters!

What happened to this whole idea of RockIT Space Mountain? Did 2006 Grad Nite and CMs who rode it give it a "thumbs down" rating and so Disney Marketing and Imagineers went back to redo the entire idea?

Seems like we may be getting DLR version of WDWs Limousine Coaster Ride with Aerosmith playing in the background!!!

• Lowering Expectations

Re: RockIt Space Mountain vs. Rockin' Space Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep View Post
    (what is up with Disney droppin' all the 'g's?)
    Good question! It's just what I was wonderin' when I heard the name change.

Gee, then I'm guessin' if we're soarin', screamin', and rockin', there's no need to be hatin'!

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep View Post
    Did 2006 Grad Nite and CMs who rode it give it a "thumbs down" rating and so Disney Marketing and Imagineers went back to redo the entire idea?
    The best part of the AP newsletter, in my opinion, was this:

Space Mountain...had a test run of it's rock 'n' roll overlay during this year's Grad Nite event and the transformation was a huge hit!

Yeah Freak'N Right!!! I have heard from a few people's direct accounts of RockIt and they said it sucked and could hardly be called an "enhancement." I wish Disney wouldn't lie to us, or at least omit the "huge hit" part.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• Closed Account

Maybe it was a typo and was supposed to say "huge hitless!"

Bring back Dick Dales music!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    The best part of the AP newsletter, in my opinion, was this:

Space Mountain...had a test run of it's rock 'n' roll overlay during this year's Grad Nite event and the transformation was a huge hit!
    Apparently, the editor left off 'and miss'.

Anywho, it seems that the name "Rockit Mountain" will not be used, and that's too bad. They spent all that money for the marquee and everything. I think that they are sticking to "Rockin' Space Mountain", just because they want to do the "Rockin' Both Parks" campaign.
    -Monorail Man

• Zero Blockout Dates

ready or not it's coming Jaunary 3, 2007. Should be interesting, hope there's no Hoobastank this time
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Special Agent

Rockit Mountain sounds lame. It sounds like the kind of name a dinky little carnival would give for a cheap Space Mountain knock off. I'm glad they dropped the name.

I'm not really happy about the rock music overlay though. Disney attractions should all have their own unique soundtracks that help tell part of the story. The Dick Dale music on Space Mountain was a novelty - it was new and interesting at the time, but completely out of sync with the setting of the attraction. Space Mountain needed a more cinematic soundtrack score that was more inline with the setting.

And now they've finally added the perfect soundtrack to Space Mountain - and they have to dump it because they have nothing else to market this year. Adding rock music to Space Mountain makes about as much since as adding a techno dance mix to Pirates of the Caribbean. Or maybe Rockin' Pirates will be for 2008...

• Closed Account

Talking Re: RockIt Space Mountain vs. Rockin' Space Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    Rockit Mountain sounds lame. It sounds like the kind of name a dinky little carnival would give for a cheap Space Mountain knock off. I'm glad they dropped the name.

I'm not really happy about the rock music overlay though. Disney attractions should all have their own unique soundtracks that help tell part of the story. The Dick Dale music on Space Mountain was a novelty - it was new and interesting at the time, but completely out of sync with the setting of the attraction. Space Mountain needed a more cinematic soundtrack score that was more inline with the setting.

And now they've finally added the perfect soundtrack to Space Mountain - and they have to dump it because they have nothing else to market this year. Adding rock music to Space Mountain makes about as much since as adding a techno dance mix to Pirates of the Caribbean. Or maybe Rockin' Pirates will be for 2008...
    I would prefer Rockin' Splash Mountain next but since it is going through a rehab it should now be Brokeback Splash Mountain!

• Minion FOREVER!

BTW. is "Rockin" Space Mountain going to be like "RockIt" in the sense that it's
    a nighttime only thing? Or are they going to have it be a more traditional overlay
    (on for so many months in a year)?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    BTW. is "Rockin" Space Mountain going to be like "RockIt" in the sense that it's
    a nighttime only thing? Or are they going to have it be a more traditional overlay
    (on for so many months in a year)?
    You know at this point I just don't know what Disney has up their sleeves! They just bait and switch us through the AP Newsletter each quarter!

My understanding the night vs day is still supposed to happen. Any CMs out there in MC world have an answer?

• Special Agent

I was under the impression that they ditched the night/day thing - because they were too worried it would unbalance the crowds - with everyone trying to come back and ride it again at night. If they keep the original during the day though - I would be really happy.

• "714"

ok when is this going to happen?!! Make the change already! GRRR......

NO DOUBT SUMMER 09 TOUR!
    MAY 22 SAN DIEGO/AUG 2 IRVINE

So, who is planning a visit on 3.Jan. just to try it?

• Up is Down

I will be there ready to laugh my head off!
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Rockit Mountain sounds better than Rockin' Mountain in my opinion. It goes with the whole rocket in outer space theme better.
    <o>

I got to preview RockIt Mountain at Grad Nite last June. I was expecting it to be similar to what I have seen of the Rock n' Roller Coaster at MGM Studios with all the lasers and such, but it wasn't. They added flashing red and green lights along the track that reminded me of stop lights because they were always lined up three in a row as well as a few strobe lights, and that's pretty much it. The soundtrack was Hoobastank-- hardly rock and roll, in my opinion, which didn't compliment the contours of the ride like the regular soundtrack does. The whole ride was very underwhelming and could hardly be considered an adrenaline-pumping, rock and roll experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast