Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Smile Medical Emergencies... Does Disney have a mini-tramua centre?

So we were planning a surprise trip for this spring, just checking the hotels and......... I had a cardiac arrest.

Now I am scared to go to Disneyland again.

What are the medical facilities there. Do they have on site defribulators and the know-how to use them?

I know many have stories of visiting first aid, but I am talking a major accident like a cardiac problem.

And I don't even mean on the rides, it could be sitting in the Blue Bayou or strolling Tomarrowland.

-
    thanks

Disney Road

• Vehicle rotating backward

Re: Medical Emergencies... Does Disney have a mini-tramua centre?

I'm sure they do have some at First Aid. I haven't been to an on-site DLR hotel in a while but I know at WDW they even put the locations of the the cardiac emergency tools on the hotel layout maps in case a guest needs to run for one in an occasion.

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Smile Re: Medical Emergencies... Does Disney have a mini-tramua centre?

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania View Post
    I'm sure they do have some at First Aid. I haven't been to an on-site DLR hotel in a while but I know at WDW they even put the locations of the the cardiac emergency tools on the hotel layout maps in case a guest needs to run for one in an occasion.
    Thank you. So are you saying they are around like a fire extingisher? I thought I saw a sign on Tom Sawyers Island of one.... but at the time, I really didn't take notice.

Disney Road

• Vehicle rotating backward

I frankly don't know where they are at DL. I've only ever seen them mapped out at hotels. I assume at the parks that they're operated by cast trained in First Aid instead of your family members. But in the hotel, particular WDW's larger hotels where I saw this map, they can't have someone rush over in a second's notice.

• Cast Member

If something were to happen to you, the first thing would happen is that security and the nurses would see you on site.

After that, the ambulance would come and take you to the nearest hospital depending on your emergency.

We don't have an actual hospital, there's Cast First Aid and First Aid for guests which are tiny medical facilities that do basic services (blood pressure, etc).

I do know of defibrilators at the hotels, but not where.

But they would just rather call an ambulance overall.

I hear those calls all the time.

But I would love to hear from someone with more knowledge like someone from CFA.

Bye.

• Disneyland Cast Member

There are EAD's (External Auto Defibulators) all over the resort with Cast Members in each area trained to use them. They are in cabinets like fire extingushers. When one is removed it sends a signal to Central Communications which then dispatchs Central First Aid, Security and Fire to the location. Those Disney responders are also joined by AFD and onsite paramedics. And the Cast Members who remove the EAD should also be calling in the location and info on the victim. If you are going to have a heart attack you can't pick a better place to do it than at Disneyland. If you look at the DTD entrance to The Grand Californian you can see one of the packs on the left side of the entry just as you approach the big gates between Sephora and Club Libby Lu. I feel safer at the Resort than I do at home.

• Banned User

I went Dec 05 and I was having high blood pressure issues and I went to the first aid center in California Adventure. She took my blood pressure and from what I saw they had up todate equipment (beds, bp monitors). I'm pretty sure they have the nessary equipemnt until the proper medical attention comes.

The staff was very nice! it didn't cost me anything.

• SoCal "Select" Cheapskate

Here is something to consider...Disneyland can accomodate upwards of 85,000 people in the park at any given time. Aside from all of the municipal and fire codes, from a strict liability standpoint, they need to be able to take care of these types of situations without exposing themselves to legal liability. Hence, Disneyland has its own fire department...can you imagine an electrical fire on Main Street in the middle of summer? So I am sure they are equipped and prepared for the worst, especially considering how detached they are from surrounding city support services.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Beatle_johnny View Post
    Thank you. So are you saying they are around like a fire extingisher? I thought I saw a sign on Tom Sawyers Island of one.... but at the time, I really didn't take notice.
    There is a sign on TSI of a defibrulator? And so many people gripe about the theming problems if it gets changed to Pirate Island! LOL

Disney offers great resources for someone in need of medical care. THey have several nurses, and I believe several sets of EMT's in the parks at any given time. I want to say that at sertain points CFA is staffed with a real doctor, but cant be sure of that.

Take it from soneone who had had a heart attack... I feel much safer at Disneyland than I di at most places.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Newseditor44 View Post
    Disney offers great resources for someone in need of medical care. THey have several nurses, and I believe several sets of EMT's in the parks at any given time. I want to say that at sertain points CFA is staffed with a real doctor, but cant be sure of that.

Take it from soneone who had had a heart attack... I feel much safer at Disneyland than I di at most places.
    My brother has a breathing machine (dont know the medical term) that he brings with him. He checks it into the First Aid office, and whenever he needs it, he just signs in and they give him a room to use. Ive been in there many times with him. The staff is excellent.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frecky View Post
    My brother has a breathing machine (dont know the medical term) that he brings with him. He checks it into the First Aid office, and whenever he needs it, he just signs in and they give him a room to use. Ive been in there many times with him. The staff is excellent.
    We've been there for other issues as well. They ARE fabulous. My cousin used to be a nurse there for many years. I think she's attempting to 'go back'.

They are extremely accomodating in the First Aid area. Even if you just want to come in out of the heat or warm up from the cold - they will let you . If you are feeling faint - they will let you lay down.

If things are WAY WAY out of hand, and a major medical emergency, they'll whisk you off to Western Medical Center on Anaheim Blvd/Ball Road.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Nearby also is the HeartCare Center at Anaheim Memorial Medical Center
    http://www.memorialcare.org/anaheim/...artCareCtr.cfm

A friend of mine has been there more than a few times (he even moved to the area to be closer), the staff is excellent.

1111 W. La Palma Avenue
    Anaheim, CA 92801 (714) 774-1450
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Also, a lot of CM's have their cell phone on them out at guest control or their location, and know exactly how to get patched through 911 to Disneyland EMS within seconds if a park phone isn't within reach.

The drive there is the most dangerous part of the day for anyone.
    Last edited by Alpine; 11-17-2006 at 10:12 AM.

• Gay Man

While there are basic - I mean BASIC - medical facilities at DL, there is a hospital within 2 minutes. The staff are trained for these emergencies, but there are still only basic facilities, not a mini hospital. I witness a person die from a heart attack on Main Street. It was too severe for recovery.

But, if you're going to go, what a great place to die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast