17 29.31%
  • Dislike It

29 50.00%
  • Maybe/ Don't Know/ Unsure

12 20.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• ...TWO BITS!

Critter Country Train Station/ NOS Stage Show Idea

I felt this should have its own thread about putting a train station in train station in Critter Country from New Orleans Square to ease CC's dead-end. Now I think this is possible. Redoing the entire Hungry Bear so the station is on the second floor and the restuarant on the first floor near the Rivers of America, plus a water station for the trains. My concern was what to do with NOS train station. Here's what I have in mind:

1) In the area between the station, main walkway, Cafe Orleans, and Haunted Mansion (I think it's a little courtyard with a statue and fountain??) convert to a small in-the-round stage (ala Festival of Fools) and perform "Topsy-Turvy" (a mini-version of that " Festival of Fools" Hunchback show. It's just focused on Topsy-Turvy with no Quasimodo, Gargoyles, Phoebus and Frodo. Clopin and Esmeralda are the only central characters present while a small cast group use the same props & costumes from the old show. The only song they sing is "Topsy Turvy". In the lyrics, change "turn all Paris upside down" to "turn New Orleans upside down". The characters celebrate Mardi Gras/ Fat Tuesday/ Festival of Fools. They are also looking for a new "Prince and Princess of Fools" and ask a bunch of kids to come on stage to show them their "gruesome" face. The audience picks the winner. Think of it as a sort of "Sword in the Stone" offering in Fantasyland for NOS.

The aisle entry to the stage has NOS style statues on the side corners. The seats around the stage looks more like a small stairways. No backrest and probably have a handrail on the aisle. Then the backends of the concrete stair/bench sitting have small water fountains and between NOS statues. I hope that made some sense.

This is all open air but keeping the trees for shade. The stage should also shoot out confetti at the end of "Topsy Turvy" at the audience. Make an underground tunnel from the NOS train station to the stage so Esmerelda can pop up from a cloud of smoke on stage.

"Topsy Turvy" would probably be as long as "Sword in the Stone" which is like, 10 minutes??

2) Convert train station for seating area to watch the passing train, overlook NOS/Frontierland, and small view of proposed stage show.

Construct a bottom floor under the train station for backstage/storage/dressing room for the in-the-round stage.

3) Inbetween shows or as a pre-entertainment, a "living statue" is on stage to entertain guests.

4) During HalloweenTime, this stage could be used for Disney Villains to "Tell Their Side of the Story" storytellling.

OR they can probably have a series of ghost storytellers from Haunted Mansion tell their story on stage like TOT's storytelling.

5) Having CC station instead of NOS station will truly make the stations at the very end points of the park: MS in the south, CC in the west, MTT in the north, and TL in the east. NOS is more like a southwest point anyways.

*Now everyday can be Mardi Gras/Fat Tuesday/Festival Fools... instead of waiting every year*

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Re: Critter Country Train Station/ NOS Stage Show Idea

I can't believe I'm the only like it vote (out of three voters so far). Could you who don't like and maybe person please write why? I expecially think it is good because I've never liked the dead endedness of Critter Country. Plus, we gain a show and lose a store. All plusses.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I don't know.

First of all, there's not enough seating on the first floor for Hungry Bear. DL gets so terribly crowded nowadays...it needs both floors. Plus, moving the kitchen and the cash registers etc. would be a huge hassle IMO.

Then there's the fact that Hunchback is kind of an older movie now. It was good, but it wasn't remotely as popular as Beauty and the Beast or The Little Mermaid. Don't get me wrong...I absolutely adore the film and find it a classic, I just don't think that this generation of children will know who these characters are.

Plus, DL already had a Hunchback show. And it retired. It retired for a reason, too...we certainly don't have anything happening in it's location place since as well.

Also, this sounds like it would just create more traffic congestion in NOS...it's got plenty of wonderful shows and attractions in a very limited space. I wouldn't dare put in any more...

I believe there would still be room available on the top floor of the Hungry Bear. The train station could be built upon the back end, leaving most of the top still available for seating.

As for NOS, I was thinking it might even be cool just to theme this area as a bog to kind of sepperate the HM from the city. Expand the seating of the Cafe Orleans a bit, add some drooping trees and a few "fireflies" and it will become a less expensive alternative to the Blue Bayou and creative a nice spooky transition for the HM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

I don't like it. Adding yet another 5 or 10 minute stop for the train would make the lines even longer for it.
    Mike

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

I like the fact that you took the time to try and figure out something for Critter Country, so I have to give you credit for that.

However, I seriously don't think the "Hunchback" show would ever happen, nor would the construction of the tunnel. Disney would never shell out that amount of money for just a 10-15 minute show unless it was along the lines of Fantasmic!.

I don't know, it could work, but I just can't see it in my mind. Maybe if it were to come to life or you could draw us some sketches of what you're talking about I/we could get a better sense of what you're imagining in your mind.

...Joe...

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

1. "Hunchback of Notre Dame" is So Over. It does not fit the theming of New Orleans Square at all.

2. There's no real room to put any sort of a stage there and provide viewing for more than maybe 100 people at a shot. It would have to go in the corner where the Mansion FastPass machines are.

2A. There's enough room there for a themed transition area, or a small stage and viewing area, but not both at once.

3. They are not going to put any tunnels under the RR at the old NOS station for stage performer access - Even if you go cheap with a Cut And Cover trench and use precast concrete storm-drain pipe for the tunnel, that's still a $1 Million project with no real benefits.

4. They are not going to realign the DLRR Right Of Way to push the berm back there - they would have to go way wide to go around the Pirates Mansion Splash and Pooh show buildings, not to mention the Paint Shop and other backstage buildings.

5. Adding a train station behind Hungry bear is impractical without removing the restaurant.

6. Putting a train station there is also bad because there's a slight uphill grade on that side of the park past the Critter Country trestle, and getting the train started on an uphill grade is tricky without jerking the passengers at least once in a while - it's like driving a Stick, occasionally even the best driver pops the clutch. Toss a few people out of their seats or wheelchairs, and you'll have lawsuits flying thick and heavy...

Now if they want to do something new back in that corner, they can push the berm back and realign the train tracks about 50 to 100 feet in the corner between the Hungry Bear and the ToonTown station - but it would still be very expensive to open up that land.

For openers, I don't think there's enough room to open a footpath on the west side of the RR tracks next to the Pooh show building, so they'll have to cut through the lower level of the Hungry Bear seating - or chop the Hungry Bear seating building back and go right next to the river.

There are several support buildings and the Circle D Ranch barns and open area (for all the horses and livestock) behind the berm that would need to be replaced, and to make room for another ride show building they would have to take even more land. Not cheap, but possible.

Now you have to come up with a practical use for the area with a D or E-Ticket ride and other lesser shops and attractions. Do that, and they can open up a path around the north side of the Rivers Of America, and alleviate that dead-end.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• ...TWO BITS!

Um, wow. Some of you are putting words in my mouth :P. I didn't mean for the stage to be huge. Like the stairway-style seating would be minimum 2 rows and max 4 rows. It wouldn't be a huge thing, like I said, Sword in the Stone type of thing. The Hunchback show was in Frontierland... don't tell me Hunchback was themed for Frontierland . I didn't say anything about tunneling under the train tracks, just a small facility under the train station with access to and from NOS, and a performer tunnel from under the station to the stage (which I understand now about the whole budget thing). So if you thought everything else was god why don't you say "If you did all this without the tunnel, I'd like it". I have to admit I haven't been to Hungry Bear in years . Again about character relevance, does it really matter if people knows this is inspired off of Hunchback? I don't think so. Besides Festival of Fools in reality did kind of branch into Mardi Gras.

mcow1, I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you thinking ADDING CC station instead of CC station REPLACING NOS station??

Did I say ANYTHING about moving the train tracks or berm?!?! No.

Bruce Bergman, at the end of your post, were you responding to another thread I made or were you just continuing about a path from CC to Frontierland??

Again, this proposal is not about getting a show on the scale of Hunchback, at all. It's much smaller.

I have to agree with pineapplewhipaddict about traffic congestion and the fact Disneyland already has lots of entertainment. I had previous concerns about that as well. I proposed anyways to get feedback.

SO for now, I'll conclude the stage show may not happen. BUT the CC station/ Hungry Bear/ uphill grade can still be talked about. NOS station would just be closed and used for a resting area and patio (ala Motorboat Cruise). And the courtyard can remain (besides, I like the courtyard as is anyways). I still think the "living statues" can work in the courtyard.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Senior Minion

Your idea might alleviate the dead end at Critter Country, yet I feel it wouldn't tone down all the folks that go through NOS because of the show. As it is, even though CC dead ends NOS is still a heavy traffic area, so your idea would still be bringing folks into NOS - which does need more space.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

You certainly could do something on a small scale around the HM fountain - but then it turns into a question of Why? Disney is loath to spend money without a reason, so you have to sell your idea to the Accountaneers - they control the budget.

The Sword Cremony in Fantasyland was established a long time ago, had an polished show and script - the improved area to do it in came second.

They built a small stage and a small viewing area just like you descriibe here in Frontierland in front of Casa Del Zocalo. It's themed to be a "Public Puebla" - but they've never done anything with it. It looks like something that was designed in to look nice on the CDZ plans.

It's 100 feet away, but the Laughing Stock Company does their schtick in front of the Golden Horseshoe instead.

The reworking of the planters in New Orleans Square had a purpose - they expanded the viewing areas for Fantasmic. That they used an end of one for the Pirates Band area was just a bonus, that was added long after the fact.

I brought up moving the DLRR tracks because if you're going to get them to move on something it has to be something big - like making a place for another E-Ticket behind the berm north of Critter Country. If they go for the big project proposal, you can slide your small ones into the overall work.

I have to go to work, but this will give you something to chew on...

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by mcow1 View Post
    I don't like it. Adding yet another 5 or 10 minute stop for the train would make the lines even longer for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    mcow1, I have no idea what you're talking about. Are you thinking ADDING CC station instead of CC station REPLACING NOS station??
    I dunno, I don't like the idea either. Leave as is IMO, add a tunnel or walkway from CC to Fantasyland/Toontown or something.

• Dumbo Love driving me mad

They need a "Skyway Buckets" type of tranportation. There's certainly room in Tomorrowland for a station. Since a straight across route would obstruct the view of the Castle, looking up Main Street, the Tomorrowland Station's Skyway could link to a station where the Snow White Theater is. This station would then link to a station in Critter Country, which can be put where the shops at the back end are now. The theme would be tricky though, something to go with Tomorrowland, Fantasyland and Critter Country, because riding round-trip would absolutely have to be an option. Flying over Big Thunder Trail, BTM, Tom Sawyer Island and Splash Mountain would be so much fun, definately a different vantage point. Maybe four person hot air balloons?

At the very least, a People Mover would be greatly appreciated.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Experiment626 View Post
    I dunno, I don't like the idea either. Leave as is IMO, add a tunnel or walkway from CC to Fantasyland/Toontown or something.

I voted "don't like idea" also. A train stop COULD be feasible in Critter Country, but I'm all for not touching New Orleans Square at all.

Now... travel method from Critter Country to Fantasyland and vice versa? I have the perfect solution:

GUMMI BEARS QUICK CARS.

It doesn't have to be all loopy or crazy as the cartoon but it could be a fun and quick tunnel ride to get from one land to the other.

Critter Country side will be a forest queue theme while the fantasyland side (near big thunder ranch) can be more medieval themed... or at least enough to fit in with fantasyland. That cartoon has both traits for fantasy and critters.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by gemaedhi View Post
    They need a "Skyway Buckets" type of tranportation. There's certainly room in Tomorrowland for a station. Since a straight across route would obstruct the view of the Castle, looking up Main Street, the Tomorrowland Station's Skyway could link to a station where the Snow White Theater is. This station would then link to a station in Critter Country, which can be put where the shops at the back end are now. The theme would be tricky though, something to go with Tomorrowland, Fantasyland and Critter Country, because riding round-trip would absolutely have to be an option. Flying over Big Thunder Trail, BTM, Tom Sawyer Island and Splash Mountain would be so much fun, definately a different vantage point. Maybe four person hot air balloons?

At the very least, a People Mover would be greatly appreciated.
    Skyway would sound like a better situation that replacing one train station for another.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I don't think this will really 'ease' Critter Country. It's just going to cause a HUGE line for the 'potential' train station.

It gets crowded back there, but I don't think it's that big of a deal really.

Leave as is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast