Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• :)

Re: Star Tours Opening Day-- were you there?

Quote Originally Posted by CowofDisney View Post
    I dont like the idea of different locations because then people would be unhappy that they didn't get to ride all four locations and they wouldn't get to 'visit' all four places. PLus, if one was considered better than the others, then the lines in the 'good' one woul be much longer than the other ones. It's a cool i dea, but i just dont see it happening.
    which is why they should make it randomize from time to time...if you get stuck with the same one again and again sorry =( kinda like indy...i think thats how indy is, everytime i dont know which tunnel i'm going through

• Minion

Blog Entries

i was born in 1987....so no, i wasnt there, lol

• Rookie

Hey all!

As I mentioned above, I am putting together a retrospective article for the 20th anniversary of Star Tours opening day (almost twenty years ago precisely) for www.swstartours.net/cms

I had originally hoped to PM the folks who posted here and ask them followup questions, but due to time constraints, I will probably just quote from the replies, if that's okay with everyone.

Wish me luck!

Lex
    Last edited by Lex the Robot; 01-05-2007 at 12:08 AM.

20 years eh...

I was 13 years old... in fact, it opened on my 13th birthday. My father paid for my best friend and I to attend. Of course, we thought we'd make it through all 60 hrs. We ended up calling for a ride home at around 5 am the second morning. I remember the line being... seriously... 4 to 5 hrs. long. The line stretched all the way down Main Street and included a lot of switch-backs. I still have the 'give away' watch... in perfect, mint condition. I had never seen Disneyland so crowded... it was ridiculous.

I actually didn't ride Star Tours that weekend. I was lucky enough to catch a soft opening a month or so before opening day. I had no idea the ride was being built, as you can imagine, this 12 year old (Star Wars fan) was incredibly excited by the new ride. I remember being completely blown away by the show building, the ride, the music... Paul Reubens as REX (at 12, I was also a big Pee-Wee fan)... it was totally immersive and everything I wanted it to be... the C3PO animatronic, the robots, the 'spaceport' theme... this 12 year old was TOTALLY blown away. However, the memory of Inner Space was fresh and it was sad to see it go... especially now as I look back.

</waxing_nostalgic>
    Last edited by What Would Walt Do; 01-11-2007 at 01:30 AM.

I was in college and couldn't possibly pass up the opportunity to go to a 60 hour party. I went with a friend after he got off work that Friday night and we got there around 2 AM. The line for Star Tours was about an hour at that point so we rode it. The funniest thing I remember is going on the Peoplemover afterwards and when we got a view of the lobby of Circlevision, there were people sprawled everywhere sleeping in there. None of the other rides had long lines at that time, even Peter Pan, so we rode a lot of stuff early. We rode It's a Small World and fell asleep. We woke up the first time coming back to the station and there was no line and the cast member there said we could keep going through, so we fell asleep again for over an hour going through again and again. Which was horrible because the song was stuck in my head after that.

I rode it once at that time. I had been to the park just a couple of weeks before Christmas and hadn't even known about it and it was open for previews and I got to ride it then, so I was raving about it to everyone I knew. I wish they'd do a 60 hour party again, though...

I think I still have the watch and the passport stub.

• Blind to His Own Faults

It was as much fun as you could possibly have sleeplessly standing in line. It was great to be there, though! Got my Opening Day Swag, and even to meet Anthony Daniels!! The "hardcore" SW fans of that period were different than the ones now. Nowhere near the amount of elaborate costuming that you would probably find at a SW event/opening today. I remember being blown away by the inside queue area. Terrific.

• Comin' at ya!

20 years ago...I was -2 years old
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234