• Don't Mess With The Duck!

JosephTNielsen's Ideas For California Adventure (Text Heavy)

Okay, so lately I've been toying around with a few ideas for DCA. And I figure since I finally got these ideas copy written I'd share them with you guys to see what you think. There's not too many, but it's a start.

Hollywood Pictures Backlot

Disney’s Walk-Of-Fame – Along the sidewalks of Hollywood Pictures Backlot would be stars of many Disney characters and actors who have appeared in Disney films and specials. Walt Disney would be the first of these to be unveiled. Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, and others would soon follow. Mike, Sully, and Boo’s stars would be found in front of the Monsters Inc. ride. As sidewalk space gets used up they would begin to appear on the sides of buildings.

Madame Tussaud's Disney Wax Museum – Inside the stage area where Who Wants To Be A Millionaire was located a Disney version of Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum would be built. It would contain wax statues of many Disney characters: past, present, and future. The main figure of the museum would be that of Walt Disney himself. The museum would also include wax figures of other big name stars that have appeared in Disney films such as Tim Allen, Lindsay Lohan, Herbie The Love Bug, and Fred MacMurray.

Muppet*Vision 3D – Waldo’s character would be removed from the attraction’s movie and everything else would remain the same.

Golden State

Birds Of A Feather Flock Together – This interactive attraction would be an aviary found next to Soarin’ Over California. Within this aviary would be many native birds found in California. For a nominal fee guests could walk into this beautiful aviary and interact with the birds and hand-feed them. Another option for those guests fearful of birds would be to simply watch from outside. Outside of the aviary would be television monitors playing the Pixar cartoon, For The Birds.

Golden Dreams – The Philharmagic 3D show found at Walt Disney World would replace Golden Dreams.

Paradise Pier

Fly Away With Elliott – This ride would be similar to the Astro Orbiter ride found in Disneyland. The flying vehicles would resemble Elliott from Pete’s Dragon. Each time the rider wants Elliott to go higher his wings would flap. The ride would replace the seating area by the water next to the bridge near Ariel’s Grotto. Throughout the queue line would be multiple signs pointing in different directions to parts of the city Pasamaquady.

The Little Mermaid – This dark ride would be the same dark ride found in the special features section on the 2-Disc edition of The Little Mermaid. The ride would replace the ice cream shop Catch A Flav, and the Chinese restaurant on the Warf. Both of which would be moved elsewhere.

Ursula’s RevengeUrsula’s Revenge would replace the seating area by the water next to the bridge near Ariel’s Grotto. The ride would be similar to the old-fashioned octopus type rides found in carnivals, except the entire body of this ride would be Ursula from The Little Mermaid. Ursula’s tentacles would extend further out over the water when the ride begins. The song “Poor Unfortunate Souls” would play through speakers in each of the cars. The ride ends after 3 minutes of ride time.

Goofy’s Lake Tahoe Ski Jump – This ride would go in a yet to be determined location within Disney’s California Adventure. The queue line for this ride would resemble a log cabin and include blocks of ice with TV monitors inside them. The monitors would be showing the classic Goofy cartoon, The Art Of Skiing, which originally aired back in 1941. The ride would be a simple inverted roller coaster. The trains would be made to resemble ski lifts. They would take the riders up 20 stories high. Once at the top the roller coasters trains would rock back and forth for a few seconds until they are released hurdling the riders down the 20 stories into multiple loops. As the riders go down the sound of Goofy yelling, “YAHOOOOOIEEEEE!,” would be piped through speakers on the coaster.

I know that some of them need a bit of tweaking, but let me know what you think!

...Joe...
    Last edited by Quacky4Donald; 11-19-2006 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Typo

Re: JosephTNielsen's Ideas For California Adventure (Text Heavy)

Like your ideas except...do we really need Philharmagic??? Another clone, and another 3D movie. We've learned that 3D movies don't have a long shelf life due to the low repeatibility...and it would also make the count 3 for 3D films at DCA (Muppets and TTBAB). As much as I love the muppets and the attraction, lets leave the best (TTBAB) and start moving towards innovative ideas and rides.

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Like your ideas except...do we really need Philharmagic??? Another clone, and another 3D movie. We've learned that 3D movies don't have a long shelf life due to the low repeatibility...and it would also make the count 3 for 3D films at DCA (Muppets and TTBAB). As much as I love the muppets and the attraction, lets leave the best (TTBAB) and start moving towards innovative ideas and rides.
    I agree with you. The only reason I added that in there is because from what I've been reading Disney is pretty hell bent on adding that show to DCA so I figured it would be best suited in the GD theatre.

...Joe...

• ...TWO BITS!

Sorry, I seem to go on without stopping...

I started to like the Walk-of-Fame & Wax Museum, but later lost interest upon reading further more. Perhaps the Wax Museum could be queue themeing to a future HPB attraction??

The last couple times I had friends in Muppet*Vision 3D, they were or about to fall asleep. They need to do an audio-animatronic family friendly Muppet ride. Queue in the extended queue and some parts of the building, keep the current queue & pre-show props, and use the pre-show room and theater for a ride building. Similar GPS tech in EPCOT's Universe of Energy and D-MGM's TGMR but half or 1/4 those vehicle size...

"Birds Of A Feather Flock Together" sounds quite interesting!

Also thought of PM in GD. It has potential, but DCA has enough movie attractions, Disneyland's Mickey's Toontown could really use it... Disneyland really only has HISTA and in some cases Star Tours as movie attractions...

I liked your input of Pasamaquady near PP. But it kinda feels like a Pacific Wharf kind of area anyways... but that may have been your intention. Maybe somehow during HalloweenTime they could redress/theme PW as Pasamaquady?? But yet another spinner ride, on a dragon?? Doesn't appeal to me much, sorry.

I've also read similar thoughts to The Little Mermaid. It has potential, but I will have to say no. I think a mini Little Mermaid/Nemo area could be in and around where SS Rustworthy is. Replace McD's, Pizza, & MM with seafood restaurant, TLM darkride, alternate version of Turtle Twister, new location for Turtle Talk... (Turtle Talk in Animation building & think maybe replace with Animaique...). Anyways, TLM ride building to be where Pizza Moo Moo is and extend behind there into the (I think) Timon Parking driveway (which may no longer be needed once Timon Parking gets used for DCA). Either the previously seen suspended darkride, or my idea mixing Aquatopia & Pooh's Hunny Hunt (GPS ride vehicles through water in a darkride environment). I have more detailed thoughts, but that's the basic idea(s)...

Probably move Triton's Carouseul closer here (probably where Mailboomer is, thus completely getting rid of MB). Also in the same helix, someone suggested a queue that has boats go behind the coaster into backstage (ala Midway Mania, Small World, etc) and have a Disney Love Boat ride. Carouseul replaced with Hong Kong Disneyland's musically animated entrance water fountain. Retheme Ariel's Grotto as Victorion style eatry. Loose the Orange Stinger theme on the swingers and probably move that to the east roller coaster helix. Move Golden Zelphr elsewhere (I don't get into that) and replaced with a lighthouse tower with a snack shop and/or merch stand inside. The rocky coastline along the lighthouse would be shaped like a Gray Whale (CA's marine state animal) with a natural blowhole splashing from where it's blowhole would be. And the light from the lighthouse could be used for the lagoon's nighttime show. Oh, probably leave Jumpin Jellyfish alone??

SORRY, returning to the thread... Ursula's spinner has been discussed before. It has been discussed before, going over the water sounds like a neat idea. Maybe where Orange Stinger is now... Then again, when you look at what I've previously stated above and then you add Ursula in towering over it, it might be too cartoony/ seem out of place a little... Maybe between TLM darkride & SS Rustworthy??

I know a family inverted roller coaster has been discussed before, including myself... I understand your intention of adding Goofy into the mix... but I'm not sure if that's where DCA's direction should be headed... Perhaps just a generic ski-lift family coaster ride around a mountain is fine enough without the Goofy plug-in. OR add Goofy into the mix during the Holiday season .

Overall you have really good thoughts and intentions. Again, sorry about going off a few times, especially with Paradise Pier I want to know more ideas you have.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• n/a

As far as the Golden Zypher goes, it would be truely a shame to rid of that attraction. What is the time frame that the ride would be found in? Would it be early 1900s? If so I had the crazy idea to move it over to off the side of Main St (think where the 2 guided tour buildings are). It would be a salute to he parks that inspired Disneyland.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• AFI And MCR Fanatic

I find that the Zephyr is down too often, so maybe moving it to less of an open air enviroment would help the ride operate more.

• ...TWO BITS!

^ I was aware the GZ was mostly down due to winds, which is why the solution I presented in previous threads has it in less open air

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

Talking Re: JosephTNielsen's Ideas For California Adventure (Text Heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    Sorry, I seem to go on without stopping...

I started to like the Walk-of-Fame & Wax Museum...Perhaps the Wax Museum could be queue themeing to a future HPB attraction??
    That would be very cool! Or if Tony Baxter gets his way adding this attraction would be a great way of getting more money. By opening up DCA as an add-on to DTD, this museum could be an attraction one would have to pay to see. With the revenue generated could help finance future wax statues, and a possible expansion of the museum.

The last couple times I had friends in Muppet*Vision 3D, they were or about to fall asleep. They need to do an audio-animatronic family friendly Muppet ride. Queue in the extended queue and some parts of the building, keep the current queue & pre-show props, and use the pre-show room and theater for a ride building. Similar GPS tech in EPCOT's Universe of Energy and D-MGM's TGMR but half or 1/4 those vehicle size...
    I really like Muppet*Vision. I know it gets ridiculed quite a bit, but it's a great show. The only reason I mentioned the thing about Waldo is because that's what the overwhelming demand says they want.

"Birds Of A Feather Flock Together" sounds quite interesting!
    Yeah! I'd love to be able to be a guest from out of California (or America) who's never had a chance to be close to quail or egrets or other native Californian birds.

Also thought of PM in GD. It has potential, but DCA has enough movie attractions, Disneyland's Mickey's Toontown could really use it... Disneyland really only has HISTA and in some cases Star Tours as movie attractions...
    Again, just trying to please the ones who want the show over on this Coast. It makes sense to put it in a theatre that pretty much "blows." The more I think about this theatre, though, the more I'd love to see some new attraction go into there. Perhaps if the Big L's Cars ride doesn't get built, maybe put in a Cars bumper car ride, and remove the ones from Bug's Land?

I liked your input of Pasamaquady near PP. But it kinda feels like a Pacific Wharf kind of area anyways... but that may have been your intention. Maybe somehow during HalloweenTime they could redress/theme PW as Pasamaquady?? But yet another spinner ride, on a dragon?? Doesn't appeal to me much, sorry.
    Yeah, I always thought it would be neat to have a Pasamaquady section near Paradise Pier. I felt if the queue was designed right it could fit right in to the area. I thought it would be kind of cool to have each of the dragons use some sort of technology to change from green to clear (invisible). I don't know how it would be done, but I'd be willing to do some research if I was getting paid. However, I also was hesitant to put this ride into that area because that's where the Electrical Parade goes by. I know that kids don't normally take things too seriously, but I can just imagine a kid asking his/her parents, "But Mommy, if Elliott is over there spinning around, how can he be over here in the parade?" I don't know.

I've also read similar thoughts to The Little Mermaid. It has potential, but I will have to say no. I think a mini Little Mermaid/Nemo area could be in and around where SS Rustworthy is. Replace McD's, Pizza, & MM with seafood restaurant, TLM darkride, alternate version of Turtle Twister, new location for Turtle Talk... (Turtle Talk in Animation building & think maybe replace with Animaique...). Anyways, TLM ride building to be where Pizza Moo Moo is and extend behind there into the (I think) Timon Parking driveway (which may no longer be needed once Timon Parking gets used for DCA). Either the previously seen suspended darkride, or my idea mixing Aquatopia & Pooh's Hunny Hunt (GPS ride vehicles through water in a darkride environment). I have more detailed thoughts, but that's the basic idea(s)...

Probably move Triton's Carouseul closer here (probably where Mailboomer is, thus completely getting rid of MB). Also in the same helix, someone suggested a queue that has boats go behind the coaster into backstage (ala Midway Mania, Small World, etc) and have a Disney Love Boat ride. Carouseul replaced with Hong Kong Disneyland's musically animated entrance water fountain. Retheme Ariel's Grotto as Victorion style eatry. Loose the Orange Stinger theme on the swingers and probably move that to the east roller coaster helix. Move Golden Zelphr elsewhere (I don't get into that) and replaced with a lighthouse tower with a snack shop and/or merch stand inside. The rocky coastline along the lighthouse would be shaped like a Gray Whale (CA's marine state animal) with a natural blowhole splashing from where it's blowhole would be. And the light from the lighthouse could be used for the lagoon's nighttime show. Oh, probably leave Jumpin Jellyfish alone??
    Wow! Lots to take in! Personally, I'd like it if they just removed King Triton's Carousel completely, as well as the Orange Swinger. What I'd like to imagine is a double or triple decker carousel in place of Orange Swinger. One level would be all horses, another would be other animals, and the last (if it were a triple decker) would be random Disney characters. This way you could get a good view of Paradise Pier. As for Golden Zephyr I'd like to see it eventually get fixed so it can be run during "high wind" times, or just removed altogether. As another poster mentioned it would be nice to see it get maybe enclosed, somehow.

SORRY, returning to the thread... Ursula's spinner has been discussed before. It has been discussed before, going over the water sounds like a neat idea. Maybe where Orange Stinger is now... Then again, when you look at what I've previously stated above and then you add Ursula in towering over it, it might be too cartoony/ seem out of place a little... Maybe between TLM darkride & SS Rustworthy??
    Ursula's Revenge would go in the seating area that looks towards the Pier next to the smoking section (this area would be moved elsewhere). This way it would be next to the whole Little Mermaid section. This ride would be an indoors ride with the entrance being similar to her lair in the movie.

I know a family inverted roller coaster has been discussed before, including myself... I understand your intention of adding Goofy into the mix... but I'm not sure if that's where DCA's direction should be headed... Perhaps just a generic ski-lift family coaster ride around a mountain is fine enough without the Goofy plug-in. OR add Goofy into the mix during the Holiday season .
    I'd have to disagree. I feel that one reason DCA is lacking the attraction from guests is the lack of original Disney characters involved with the park. By adding Goofy into the park as a main attraction it would give guests something to connect to. Long-time Disney fans would be able to relive watching (and being part of) "The Art Of Skiing," while newbies would be able to discover this classic Goofy cartoon for the first time. I'd like to see this ride go over where the Timon parking lot is, and have that entire area devoted to Lake Tahoe in the winter.

Overall you have really good thoughts and intentions. Again, sorry about going off a few times, especially with Paradise Pier I want to know more ideas you have.
    Thanks! Let me know what you think!

...Joe...