Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rod Miller?

Quote Originally Posted by PirateJohn
    I asked him about that once, and he insists that he really does remember people. I only have ever caught him once pretending to remember someone he really didn't.
    In January, 2003, my girlfriend at the time and I got our first APs. As many of you will agree, my way of looking at Disneyland totally changed at that moment. Within a couple of visits rather than rushing around to get on as many rides as possible we started to slow down and to really enjoy the atmosphere in the park. Possibly the biggest part of that for us was that we started to spend time on each visit listening to Rod and we quickly grew to love his music and personality. I still remember that the second time we stopped to see him he looked at me with a real expression of recognition, which really impressed me. Although I never really got a chance to talk to him, he always had a friendly smile for me. I'm really looking forward to his return.

• CM for 4 years!

Who is Rod Miller?

• Pathetically Obsessed

Quote Originally Posted by melmel
    Who is Rod Miller?
    Rod is the ragtime piano player that was for a long long time located on 'Coke Corner' (now Refreshment Corner?) over by the hub on Main Street. I believe they just recently moved the piano over to the Plaza Inn (help me out here folks).
    Anyway, Rod has been a park mainstay for around 30 years (I think he was hired in the 1970s??). He plays ragtime arrangements of tunes you may or may not have heard of, but the tunes are usually from early in the 1900s. "Alexander's Rag Time Band" "The Entertainer" and a few other time-honored favorites. You may not be a big fan of ragtime piano, but Rod is such a nice guy (and good musician), that he has developed a faithful following. Kids love the sound of the music, and adults like hanging out with Rod, just because he's friendly and funny. There was a Web site where you could buy his CDs, and he has mentored another young pianist (Alan Thompson - also a fine musician), who plays in the park as well.

He usually plays in the evenings around suppertime and if you get the chance, he'll take his break during the fireworks and talk you through the whole thing. Very cool!

• insufferable know-it-all

They moved it to the upper deck of the Plaza Pavilion - the yellow and white building now fronted by a mass of pin carts.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    I've been in awe of Rod ever since the first time I saw him play the piano with gloves on! Amazing.

I got his original LP off eBay a few years ago and I made a point of taking it to The Park on my next trip so he could sign it. I was a little (OK, a LOT) embarrassed to ask him to sign the LP, but he did it graciously. He sort of had this look on his face, like, "Where the hell did you get that old thing?!?!?", but it's something I'll treasure for a long time.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits
    For openers, Rod is the one on the left, with the nametag, the one who remembered to comb his hair before the picture. (Ignore the schlub on the right if you ever run into him in the park. )
    <----<

That said, Rod started playing there in 1969 - that makes it 37 years as of this March IIRC. They had to talk him into it, and one of the conditions that finally got him to sign on was that he was a full-time hire. And he's had Mondays and Tuesdays off since they were the winter Closed days.

Rod has gone through something like 23 pianos - one lasted less than a week, a new CM in Facilities was pointed at the Coke Corner patio, handed the Hotsy steam wand, and told to "Steam-clean everything there" - and he did. Since Pianos are all wood...

When he gets back, plan some time to stop and visit as you walk out to Harbor House, it's always well worth the time. We won't tell. And if your timing is right (meaning his voice isn't blown out from doing GC) PirateJohn knows the words to "Be Our Guest" - and even more impressive, he can keep up with Rod's tempo...

Rod has a repertoire of over 600 songs - I'm trying to make a somewhat complete list, and he surprises me with new ones constantly. He's ragged up things like Be Our Guest, the Blue Danube Waltz, Melody in F (from Fantasie Impromptu) Greensleeves, The Hawaiian Wedding Song, Lady Of Spain (you'd swear he's shaking the piano like an accordion...), Pearly Shells (C&H Sugar), and Yes We Have No Bananas turns into a 3/3 waltz for one chorus...

Four-Hand Piano website. Go to the bottom for the link to his solo album. And Alan's site is Here.

--<< Bruce >>--

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    I've been in awe of Rod ever since the first time I saw him play the piano with gloves on! Amazing.
    That's only in the winter, and only if he has real problems with his fingers. The joys of playing outside...
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyJCA
    I got his original LP off eBay a few years ago and I made a point of taking it to The Park on my next trip so he could sign it. I was a little (OK, a LOT) embarrassed to ask him to sign the LP, but he did it graciously. He sort of had this look on his face, like, "Where the hell did you get that old thing?!?!?", but it's something I'll treasure for a long time.
    Would you like to hear the old "Ragtime Rod" album reissued on CD and all cleaned up? Let him know on your next visit - Rod's been thinking about putting it back out...

(I've heard the sample, it's amazing the sound you can get off a vinyl pressing with the right equipment. And if the master tapes ever show up, that's even better.)

--<< Bruce >>--

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    That's only in the winter, and only if he has real problems with his fingers. The joys of playing outside...
    Yes. Being a piano player myself, we had a nice chat about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman
    Would you like to hear the old "Ragtime Rod" album reissued on CD and all cleaned up? Let him know on your next visit - Rod's been thinking about putting it back out...

(I've heard the sample, it's amazing the sound you can get off a vinyl pressing with the right equipment. And if the master tapes ever show up, that's even better.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    My LP is mint and sounds great. I know what you mean.
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

Hurry back ROD,You ARE MIssed!!

I only have one comment and that is , BRUCE , it is true to keep most of his personal item off the "public" chat here BUT, i feel it safe to say that all of us on here reading or posting on this thread about Rod Miller feel to be more than just PUBLIC to him,We are all part of the Disney Family, And Rod comes with it, i have been going to disneyland since 1966 and remember him when i could barely see the keys,when he started, and enjoyed every song ,over and over ever since.
    Not having Rod there on each trip is like the Matterhorn missing,to me he is a TRUE piece of the DISNEY Icons that make it what it is. YOU WILL notice the missing sounds of Rod till he returns, I SURE DO
    I would do, or give anything to have just the talent of one of his fingers that he has on the ivory keys.

Anyhow please keep us posted on his return on here, and no real details are needed , just hou he is doing, good or bad.
    We all feel ,miss, need him in our own ways, and PLEASE let him know that he is missed!!!!
    "I may never grow up! Its so over rated."
    But as my kids do grow up, I am Glad they have enjoyed the Disney Magic.

• Pathetically Obsessed

Any update on Rod's recovery? No specifics needed. I just hope he's recovering well.

We missed him at the park this weekend. It just wasn't the same without Rod there.

• Social Imagineer

I sure hope that, health considerations taking precedence, he's back by the 17th - for sentimental reasons that are surely dear to all here. I find it oddly coincidental that Rod's lengthy absence corresponds so well to the wretched idea of moving his piano away from Coke Corner.

Though Rod remembers my name incorrectly, he remembers me quite well enough from the days 20 years when I used to be a mainstay of the Coke Corner Crowd. Though I stop by infrequently nowadays, it's always a pleasure to see and hear him. Rod is one of those cast members who are indelible to the Disneyland experience. I sure hope he's got plenty more piano-playing days ahead of him.

• Blue & Fuzzy

I recently heard a rumor that Rod will be back near the end of June or beginning of July. Has anyone heard the same rumor or has anyone seen Rod lately? Thanks.

Note: This is not an official statement from Rod, though I did get permission to say something general about it. And to quell the naysayers out there, please note that I'm choosing my words very carefully. If you need more details you can ask Rod yourself when he gets back, he has no problem discussing it - or E-mail/message me privately and I'll forward the message.

Rod looked really good as of last weekend. The stuff affected by the pinched nerves is working again, but will take some time and effort to get back to 100%.

And as of our last conversation his plan is still to be back and playing at Disneyland by the Big 50th Anniversary Weekend of July 17th Though he will almost certainly be on a weekends-only reduced schedule for a few weeks after returning.

Think good thoughts - I am...

--<< Bruce >>--

• Hooterville, USA

Today I heard piano playing and thought it might be Rod, but it wasn't. Hurry back Rod, the stool is getting cold.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by Druggas
    Today I heard piano playing and thought it might be Rod, but it wasn't. Hurry back Rod, the stool is getting cold.
    Between Alan, Johnny, Jonny, and Eric I doubt the piano stool is getting cold... But it is getting lonely waiting for the Maestro to return.

--<< Bruce >>--

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast