Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Angry Fireworks crowd control....out of control?

I was at Disneyland on saturday, November 18th and noticed the absurd method of routing people in a counterclockwise direction around the hub about 30 minutes prior to the start of the fireworks. My family and I were comming down from It's a Small World area and were planning on having dinner at the Plaza Inn. As we approached the area near King Tritons fountain we were being herded towards the right, across the front of the castle, all the way around the hub, down main street a ways and the finally allowed to cross. I understand the need for crowd control and the system they have set up seems to work o.k. in theory. Luckily, thanks to my keen eyes I noticed that we could access the Plaza Inn by taking the pathway that cuts through Tritons fountain and end up near the Buzz Lightyear que then it's a simple walk across the tomorrowland entrance to the Plaza Inn. Well, we tried this and there were all these ropes set up in front of the Astro Orbiter. Bottom line.....these crowd control folks were very determined to get us to walk all the way around the hub. Then we did a very bad thing. We crossed under these ropes and proceeded to flee towards the Plaza Inn like fugitives. We reached our destination, ate a hearty meal and enjoyed the fireworks.

Does anyone else feel that this whole "forced direction" crowd control method is a bit out of control? Like I said I understand the need to control in these situations but come on!

• Queen of Sarcasm

Re: Fireworks crowd control....out of control?

It is run like that because It is supposed to help thousands of people to get where they want to in a somewhat orderly fashion. You may have to go out of your way a little but it is better than letting everyone walk wherever they please. If that was the case then I am sure many people would be coming here posting and being very angry because it would be gridlock in the hub and in front of the castle. As being a former CM I would expect it to make some sense to you more than others. There were many times when I had to do GC for pyro and it wasn't pretty but it always ran smoothly.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PirateChick View Post
    It is run like that because It is supposed to help thousands of people to get where they want to in a somewhat orderly fashion. You may have to go out of your way a little but it is better than letting everyone walk wherever they please. If that was the case then I am sure many people would be coming here posting and being very angry because it would be gridlock in the hub and in front of the castle. As being a former CM I would expect it to make some sense to you more than others. There were many times when I had to do GC for pyro and it wasn't pretty but it always ran smoothly.
    Like I said, I understand the need for it but what is up with the ropes across the entrance to Tomorrowland? They were set up in a "V" formation and they were directing you back towards the hub even though we were trying to go away from it. It's almost like a black hole......all must go to the hub....like it or not.

• Basking in birthday love

The park's very small. Going all the way around the hub takes about 10 minutes, and that's if it's complete and utter gridlock. One way traffic just makes life easier.

• Circle of Ancients

From what I understand (and I may be wrong) this is an order from the Fire Marshall because of the crowd issues in front of the castle during the fireworks. You have to have a clear path for people to move around and get through the park.

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    Well, we tried this and there were all these ropes set up in front of the Astro Orbiter. Bottom line.....these crowd control folks were very determined to get us to walk all the way around the hub. Then we did a very bad thing. We crossed under these ropes and proceeded to flee towards the Plaza Inn like fugitives. We reached our destination, ate a hearty meal and enjoyed the fireworks.

Does anyone else feel that this whole "forced direction" crowd control method is a bit out of control? Like I said I understand the need to control in these situations but come on!
    Haha! Last time I went they tried to do that to us too. The line to astro orbitors was super short so we went into that line, jumped the line fence thing and ran!

• Queen of Sarcasm

That is true. Without clear paths the fire marshall has the right to put a stop to the show. One way traffic makes life a lot easier and if people followed the rules and everything ran smoothly it would take you 10 minutes or less to go all the way around the park as previously mentioned. As stated in the first post I think, there is a crossover by Coke Corner that you can use to access the other side without walking all the way down Main Street.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

This has been going on for some time. It's really inconvenient and doesn't help when everyone is screaming and yelling at each other (guests and CM's alike). I know it's a necessity, but it really sends my anxiety level through the roof, so I try to avoid having to walk through the area whenever possible.
    <o>

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

I think it's better than just letting people mass around and just stand there like in the situation we had before there was "traffic lanes." While it seems to be a little out of the way, the circular flow is just like a rotary or traffic circle pattern. While it's not the fastest way to get somewhere, it gets you there in a decent amount of time. I too have been frustrated by the pattern, but have found that it really is efficient.

• Queen of Sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick View Post
    This has been going on for some time. It's really inconvenient and doesn't help when everyone is screaming and yelling at each other (guests and CM's alike). I know it's a necessity, but it really sends my anxiety level through the roof, so I try to avoid having to walk through the area whenever possible.
    I understand what you are saying. I usually avoid that part of the park during pyro. I go and stay in a certain area of the park and hit up attractions there or maybe sit down and rest a little until I know it is cleared out and then I go on my merry way.

• Rat Tat Tat.

You know how traffic circles work? Everyone goes in the same direction and gets on when they have a chance and gets off at their exit. That is the concept for the hub. You wouldn't take your car and cross over the medians and drive against traffic because it will save you from going 3/4 the way around a circle...so why not when you are walking? The problem as I see it is that many people don't understand that is what is going on--the whole "human traffic circle" so they get angry when they have to walk "all the way across the park" just to get somewhere that is "10 feet" away. I wish sometimes that everyone could just work together and the entire operation would go smoothly. Then throw in people expecting to find viewing for the show 10 minutes before it starts who decide it is better to just stop in the walkway, and stop the entire flow than go somewhere else--almost like rubber-necking on the freeway. Any way you look at it, it is really difficult to get everyone to work together for the "common good." So that is why it gets really messy out there. Ok I digress...

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post

Yes. There have been plenty of times when half of my party is at the Bakery on Main Street and I want to run across to the Market House to get a snickerdoodle and a coffee and the CM's won't let me. Parade hasn't even started yet and they want me to walk ALL THE WAY UP MAIN STREET and then back down.

One time I said, "Dude - look. The parade hasn't even started yet. I wasnt to go less then 50 feet away to get coffee and then come back to my wife in the bakery. What is the fricken deal with that? I'm not trying to obstuct the parade - I just want to go get different dessert and coffee." CM finally let me go.

I know they have rules and stuff, but common sense needs to factor into this at some point too. Some people just want to create issues, but then there are those of us that just want a quick, simple 'not wanting to hurt anything' access to something and the methods to which they direct traffic really hinder the 'guest experience'.

My opinion, of course...

I was there on Friday night and I was really shocked to hear one CM yelling at people to stay out of the walkways and keep moving. I totally understand how frustrating it can be to run crowd control but I've never seen a CM yell like this guy was.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cal4iri View Post
    I was there on Friday night and I was really shocked to hear one CM yelling at people to stay out of the walkways and keep moving. I totally understand how frustrating it can be to run crowd control but I've never seen a CM yell like this guy was.
    Maybe they need to scale down on the shows. Show times always are a nightmare in the park if you are trying to make your way from point A to point B.

• Queen of Sarcasm

I think they need to go back to the way the old pyro show. It didn't matter where you saw it, everyone had the same view of the show. I don't like this castle centered show where in order to get the best viewing you have to be sitting in front of the castle.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast