Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• back in Austin

visiting DL solo from out of town

Have any of you MiceChatters who are not locals ever gone to Disneyland by yourself? I'm curious what your experience was like.

The thought has ocurred to me to try it someday, for the simple reason that I would like to visit the park someday as if I were a "regular attender" and take it really slowly, just absorbing the scenery on Main Street, for example. I don't think most other people I might travel with would want to "waste" their time like this.

The main reason I wouldn't do it is that it would be too weird and lonely for me not to have someone to share things with. Then I thought I could maybe meet some MiceChatters in the park, so I wouldn't be spending the whole time alone.

Any thoughts?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: visiting DL solo from out of town

It's one of the greatest ways to truly enjoy the DLR. Try it!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I think you'd have a great time. And if you decide that you don't want to be alone, you can always post here on the boards that you are looking for people to spend the day with while you are here.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• back in Austin

So I take it both of you have tried this before?

Dusty, that's good advice, and I may just do it someday. I know you've probably spent days on your own in the park, but you're local so I imagine the vibe would be very different for me, coming over a 1000 miles to visit a park which I've only been to 3 times.

• Still wants to be a cat!

I'll hook up with you, but then you knew that!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• back in Austin

haha! awesome!

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Ive done it several times. Sounds wild, but it was a wonderful time of reflection for me. I could sit in places and remember being at Disneyland with my parents...or certain friends over the years. Not only that, you get to do what YOU want to do - shop where YOU want to shop.

However, if you're lucky, during part of your stay, maybe you'll run into a Mice Chatter and you can have some fun with that too.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

I was passing through LA once, sitting in my hotel room early morning with a flight to Sydney leaving at 11:00pm that night. What was I to do for the day, I could hang out at 3rd street and the pier since I was in Santa Monica... "hell no" I thought, I'm going to go to Disneyland (cue music - Dada "I'm going to disneyand") My frends were not into the idea at all, killjoys they are.

I ran down to the concierge. "Get me to Disneyland" I asked him. Pretty soon I was on a shuttle van cruising down to the car park near Marina Del Ray (I think it was) which for some reason is a hub for tourist shuttle busses. Then I was on another to Disneyland. This was 1998 when they had the hording all over the old carpark and DCA was in construction. I asked the driver what time the shuttles back were to be and discovered that they were way too late to get me back to the hotel and onto LAX in time. Good thing I'd told my friends to take my luggage with them if I didn't make it back in time.

I had a great time, breakfast at Carnation (maybe it had changed name then I forget) MICKEY FACE WAFFLES!; lunch at NOS CLAM CHOUDER IN A SOUR DOUGH BOWL!; and all the rides I could pack in, multiple times! The CMs did look at me funny sometimes when they asked how many and I said "just me". I watched them testing the ill fated Rocket Rods. The whole PM track was under green tarps so I only had little glimpses of the cars.

I only had a few hours so I mostly rode BTM, Indy and I forget what else.

When it came time to leave for my flight, I didn't. I tried to pack in a few more rides until finally I decided to try to get back to LAX. I made friends with a customer service guy in one of the busses who told me my best bet was to ride over to a hotel and jump another bus to LAX from there. He was great (I gave him a BIG thank you tip) I also got to see a lot of Buena Vista from the road.. "hey look Ken Crane's... hey look Knott's!" I found my friends in line for the flight with my luggage a bit angry with me but I was in time for my 18 hour flight back to Kangarooland and all the better for getting to DL

It's been ages. I need to get back soon.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• back in Austin

Well, that's encouraging. I think I'll give it a try when I've got the time and money.

Has anyone here had a negative experience trying this?

• AKA: Indyiluvu

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    I also got to see a lot of Buena Vista from the road.. "hey look Ken Crane's... hey look Knott's!"
    did you mean Buena PARK? Buena Vista in in Florida.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by indyIluvu View Post
    Shadarp! I know what I meant.

Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by indyIluvu View Post

Hehe...well technically Buena Vista is the exit off the 134 you take to get to the Disney Studios. Buena Vista & Riverside or Buena Vista & Alameda. Take your pick.

As for going the park solo, it's a pretty liberating experience. Though it is a bit lonely at times, it's definitely a way to really see everything you want to see and soak it all in. I've done Disneyland alone a few times to go shopping and what not and I've explored some of Disney World alone and it's pretty fun.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I have been alone before in DL and enjoyed it. I did not have to follow a group of people, or debate what to do next. I was just a sail in the wind when I went and it was very enjoyable and relaxing. Sure, there would be no one else to talk with, but atleast you can relax when you want to, eat when you want to, ride what you want to, watch what you want to, etc.

• Minion

Another favorite thing for you to try is sit on a bench and peoplewatch for a while. It's fascinating to see all walks of life comming and going.

I've done it for reasons cited here. It is sort of lonely, like being inside your own bubble, and people look at you funny sometimes, but this cuts both ways. Sometimes, they're friendlier, as it's easier to chat with a free agent in line, and it's a whole new perspective in people watching, enjoying the atmosphere, seeing kids and parents light up, sitting in a spot and watching the guests go by, lingering after a meal, single rider status, enjoying the solitude. I prefer Disneyland with friends and family, but there's something to be said for going solo. It is definitely worth the effort.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast