Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Tomorrow(land) Never Comes...

It has been nearly ten years since the disaster of Tomorrowland '98.

While much progress has been made, with Submarines and Monorails and Space Mountain being updated, the addition of Buzz and the return of Tomorrowland Terrace and an appropriate color scheme - - but until the 'heart" of Tomorrowland is cured it will all be set dressing. I would urge the powers-that-be to commence on restoring the Rocket Jets and PeopleMover - or equivalents - now - - to open in conjunction withe the rest of the land - - and find replacements for Innoventions and Honey as soon as possible thereafter. And finish painting and fix the entrance to boot.

The rumors say these things are slowly in the works, but Tomorrow doesn't wait!

Let's have Tomorrowland fully healed by the ten year anniversary of TL '98!

• Senior Minion

Re: Tomorrow(land) Never Comes...

Truly I year for the the Tomorrowland of the past! The way it is now seems like it is just such a mess, with a lot of space that is not being used. I hate the Astro-Orbiter and how it just clutters the space of the Tomorrowland entrance. It looked much cleaner back in the day where the main thing that greeted you was the Peoplemover trains rolling overhead.

If anything, just cleaning up the area and finishing construction on the subs - plus removing those awful rocks in the front will be a great help.

I actually liked TL 98 the best, sorry. The old TL was hokey and uninteresting to me. My family would ride Star Tours and Space, that's it. Never liked Mission to Mars, thought Capt Eo was incredibly hokey (even as a youngster), and circlevision was torture. Sure, the peoplemover did it's purpose, but my family would always just laugh in the Tron portion.

I went the opening day of TL 98 and had great fun. The Rocket Rods were working perfectly (even rearing up when accelerating), HISTA was the first 3D show of it's kind over here, the autopia looked much better (wish they had been able to do all they planned with it), and the Carousel Theatre was being used again.

Was it perfect? No. 3D movies never last long, especially when 2 much better versions (Muppets and TTBAB) move in next door. Innoventions never found it's niche, and the subs were closed down. Conceptually though, I think TL 98 was the best it's been, the only real issue was funding being cut short.

The new TL isn't bad, but unimaginative attractions such as Buzz tend to cheapen the land. Doesn't help that we will soon be receiving talking fish from a film set in modern day Australia. If TL 98 had the money, it would have reinvented the land. Rocket Rods, interactive autopia, Atlantis themed Subs featuring much new technology, wonderful new look....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

I really like Innoventions I dont know...

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    It has been nearly ten years since the disaster of Tomorrowland '98.

While much progress has been made, with Submarines and Monorails and Space Mountain being updated, the addition of Buzz and the return of Tomorrowland Terrace and an appropriate color scheme - - but until the 'heart" of Tomorrowland is cured it will all be set dressing. I would urge the powers-that-be to commence on restoring the Rocket Jets and PeopleMover - or equivalents - now - - to open in conjunction withe the rest of the land - - and find replacements for Innoventions and Honey as soon as possible thereafter. And finish painting and fix the entrance to boot.

The rumors say these things are slowly in the works, but Tomorrow doesn't wait!

Hip hip HOORAY! I fully agree! Shoot - if they'd let me, I'd help in the restoration myself!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
    I really like Innoventions I dont know...
    A lot of people have a problem with Innoventions because it replaced full AA shows to end up being something like our modern Best Buy or Circuit City...if there were more futuristic-type things within the building, I don't think it would be as disliked as it is on this board.

That's the issue with TL. What's in the future? Anything that we know is in the future won't be very futuristic by the time it gets to Disneyland.

Originally for the TL '98 concept, Plectu's Galactic Revue, a full AA show, was supposed to be in the building that houses Innoventions now. TL was supposed to be themed as a visiting place for aliens (some nice, for the attraction I just mentioned, then some not so nice...we were supposed to get Alien Encounter). Autopia was supposed to be a lot bigger than it is now, and there was an actual intent at the time to bring back the Subs into something more fresh and new. And of course, Rocket Rods was supposed to be the fastest ride in TL.

Then Pressler cut back on the funding because of what happened in Disneyland Paris. There was no trust on heavily budgeting theme. But of course, they failed to recognize that Californians don't have the exact same taste as the French.

I completely agree with the OP. TL can't truly feel alive again until something is back on the old PeopleMover/Rocket Rods tracks. They run throughout the entire land...their emptiness yet curiously maintained appearance makes visitors wistful and hopeful, and in the current state of affairs downtrodden. I just sent an email to Disneyland encouraging them to bring something back on the tracks...from what I've heard from certain members of this board that are in the know, there's something being planned, but it's very under-wraps.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    Judging from the crowds in that land - even now on days with the Subs/Monorail closed - I'd say that Tomorrowland has made a 100% recovery. The crowds there now seem bigger and healthier than they were even way back in 1992 - before most of the rides there shut down. The place is thriving.

With Buzz Lightyear and soon Finding Nemo - TL will once again be a place of awe and wonder for children.

There's no reason to bring back the clunky old PeopleMover or Rocket Jets - they just simply won't mesh well with the other attractions in that area anymore. And there's no reason to spend money to bring them back, because people seem to be loving Tomorrowland just fine now.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    There's no reason to bring back the clunky old PeopleMover or Rocket Jets - they just simply won't mesh well with the other attractions in that area anymore. And there's no reason to spend money to bring them back, because people seem to be loving Tomorrowland just fine now.

You've got to be kidding me. 100% recovery? No friggin' way. It's made improvements, since then but it took long enough.

Tomorrowland 1998 was a complete failure. The only attractions that remain from that redesign are not nearly as fun as the older versions were. Rocket Jets was far more thrilling up high. People Mover was a great peaceful tour of the entire land. Tomorrowland needs movement and those rides provide that IN tomorrowland.

Professor Tango, nobody said they should bring back Circle Vision, Mission to Mars, and Captain Eo though Hokey is FAR BETTER than Honey I shrunk the Audience. But if all you did was go on Space Mtn and Star Tours, you can still do that. People Mover track is still there. Let's use it. Maybe not as slow as it used to be, but millions of people loved it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

The only reasons that I go in Tomorrowland is for Buzz and Space (and an occasional ride on the Autopia) but that's about it. I hardly think Tomorrowland has made a full recovery.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Head Postmaster of Random

In a lay-z boy licking stamps and slaping minions...

im with whip addict on this one...

the first time i ventured into innoventions i said SWEET good times... now i dont even go inside lolol...things in here are just too outdated...and it such a big building you would think they could do more with it IMO it would be best suited for a ride of some sort...but the whole interaction with video games and products doesnt really sound like disney to me... i mean you have video games everywhere....why waste time playing them at disney....get some FRESH IDEAS!!!! and then go from there... people mover needs to be back NOW!!!!

that is all...
    "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
    "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
    "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money.
    If you won the lottery what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

I, too, would NOT like a completely old-style return of the People Mover. I think it would be a waste of innovation and space. They've improved so much in the years since the people mover left. Surely a speed-changing LIM ride would work... maybe some kind of adjustment for thrills and theme... it just NEEDS that extra something.

• Former Cast Member

All I say is bring back the original Carousel of Progress attraction, with the original theme song and get rid of Innoventions. Yeah!!!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    I, too, would NOT like a completely old-style return of the People Mover. I think it would be a waste of innovation and space. They've improved so much in the years since the people mover left. Surely a speed-changing LIM ride would work... maybe some kind of adjustment for thrills and theme... it just NEEDS that extra something.

A variation of that could be to use the GPS system where throughout the track, there are different things they can have for us to see (within the buildings). And then you'd zoom along to the next stop.

I don't care really. I just want SOMETHING on that track. I don't want the same old people mover. A new updated version would be ideal.

But even if it were just as slow, who cares? It's an overhead circle tour of Tomorrowland. How fancy do you want it to get? We all know that Rocket Rods doesn't work, so go back to what DOES.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• I'm not really here

I'm against bringing back the people mover. At least the way it was. I definitely agree that there needs to be some sort of transportation system up there. Be it highspeed or more leisurely doesn't really matter to me, but it needs to be something classically futuristic to fit with the now restored classically futuristic look of the land.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    We all know that Rocket Rods doesn't work, so go back to what DOES.
    Rocket Rods DOES work... at Tokyo Disney Sea and Epcot, but was never given the proper chance in Tomorrowland. The system works just fine, but the technology needs to be givent he proper place to work to its full potential. So yeah.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast