Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Disneyland won't be so special for the younger generation.

I was inspired by some other posts that I have read on here about families that go every week to Disneyland and it got me thinking about how this will affect the younger generation of AP holders. Now before some of you parents start telling me I'm wrong let me begin by saying these are my opinions and feelings and yes, I could be wrong and each child should be looked at on a case by case basis but in general this is what I think.

I was born in 1974 and it wasn't untill I was in grade school in the 80's that I started to know what Disneyland was and how special a place it was to visit. My family and I would go once a year, usually during early summer and would spend all day there and I remember thinking about Disneyland all the time and just counting the days untill our next special annual trip. In the mid 90's I was in my early 20's and I bought my first annual pass and at first I would go 2-3 times a week during the summer. As the years went by I went less, sometimes only 2 times a month. Although it was still a fun place to visit, Disneyland had really lost most of the magic that had attracted me to it when I was younger. I think it's considered too much of a good thing. But let me get to my point.

These days there are countless kids out there with Annual Passes who visit at least once a week. Some of them visit daily because the parents use the Disneyland resort as a daycare center in the summertime and just drop off the kids there while they go to work. Eventually some of these kids will get burned out and Disneyland will no longer be as magical a place as it could have been had they only visited once or twice a year. Even to this day I'm sure that there are kids out there who see the park as just a place to hang out, not the magic kingdom.

I know some of you will tell me that even though YOU go to Disneyland every day you still experience the magic and think of Disneyland as a magic kingdom. That's great and wonderful for you. I'm glad that your life is structured in such a way that magic still exists for you. Those of us who live in the real world and see things a little differently know what I'm talking about.

So what do you think? Do you think little Johnny and Suzie will continue to appreciate Disneyland ten years from now? Do kids who go weekly love it just as much as the kids who see it only once a year? Lets talk!

• Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyland won't be so special for the younger generation.

i'm not an aper, but i don't think it will be the same for these kids....i went twie in one month once and i was burned out for anouther 8 months before i wanted to go back, lol. I mean, my aunts husband.....we grew up down there, lived down the street and wnet 3 times a week everyweek till he turned 18, and you know what.....he says he doesn' like it anymore...

i think people who live their lives in the park are ripping themselves off in the end because they don't get to apperciate all the things that disneyland has, to them....the firework show in the end was just anouther firework show that needed to be replaced.....i'd give the pinky on my left hand to be there and see it again!

•   
    • Senior Minion

That's an interesting question you pose. I had the same experience as you where DL was a once a year event for us, actually it was like our extra Christmas "gift".

Even though now I mostly go alone DL still has that magic for me, but it is also because of all the memories that it holds from the past. It was a place where we would go as a family and spend time together. If kids are going there and see it as just another place to hang out I can see how they wouldn't cherish it in the same way that most of us do.

When Walt thought up DL he imagined it as a place where both parents and children can be together and enjoy being a family. If the kids are just going there, and DL is a place where they can be "babysat" then a good part of that magic is lost on them I have to admit.

So I do feel that kids today are not going to see DL in the same way as we do, as it is the majority of them don't value much at all.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    Those of us who live in the real world and see things a little differently know what I'm talking about.
    Hence implying that APer's do not live in the "real world" because they enjoy Disneyland on a weekly basis?

Well I know MY "real world" pays for my AP and all the Disneyland trips I enjoy, including accessories such as a nice camera. So, I certainly hold high respect for the "real world".

I can understand how maybe the "magic" might be lost but in my case, it's magical for me every time I go. There is always something new to enjoy. I guess it depends on the person.

Just wanted to add that my almost 3 year old has been going to DL since he was 10 months and I feel its up to the parent, me, to make sure he has a decent balance between the "real world" and Disney fun. I plan on upholding that balance. It's my job. Fun memories and times with my son though. Wouldn't give any of that up for the anything.
    Last edited by clara; 11-21-2006 at 02:37 PM.

• Keep that Zebra safe...

I really honestly 100% believe that some people are just BORN to love disney to the point of being able to go every single day and not burn out. I know of disney fans who can go everyday and do so and others who would burn out from just going one a month. I think some children will just be born/raised and end up loving disneyland and disney and others will be the burn out type.

Disneyland Visits - 264
    DCA Visits - 52
    and counting...

• my two sunshines

I totally understand what your saying - my kids are kid AP'rs, had them for 6 years, we lived close (Anaheim Hills) - at first it was great, we went maybe once a month, kids were little and loved it. As I made more money and upgraded AP's, we went much more, sometimes once a week. NOW they don't want to go back to the park at all - they will go maybe once with me but if we go back for a weekend, they said one day and then they want to do what they want, beach, swap meet, etc. I can go to DL alone. Well, now that I'm moving back by my very young neice and nephew, guess who's going to DL with me!!!!!

When we were little, we went a lot, about 8 times a year maybe more (we still have ticket books which I'm looking for when I go home monthly) we were there for the opening of HM - I loved it BUT unfortunately I pretty much burned my kids out on it <sigh> I am not perfect <double sigh>
    Last edited by Trac; 11-21-2006 at 02:36 PM.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Those of us who live in the real world and see things a little differently know what I'm talking about.
    What exactly is that supposed to mean?

So what do you think? Do you think little Johnny and Suzie will continue to appreciate Disneyland ten years from now? Do kids who go weekly love it just as much as the kids who see it only once a year? Lets talk!
    All I know is that my daughter loves Disneyland just as much, if not more than many kids who only go once a year. Disneyland is something either you love or you don't. The frequency of attendence is not a measure of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Man O Lantern

I know it's not as special to my kids as it was for me when I was little.

I'm not in their heads or anything, but I would stay up late at night dreaming of my upcoming Disneyland or WDW trips the week before we left. My five year old is over-the-moon excited to go next week, but my eleven year old and my eight year old are just eh about it. Eh. I swear if I canceled the trip right now, they'd be eh. Eh.

We go annually, usually 5-6 days at a time. They go more than any of their friends here in Oregon. We're kind of a novelty around here.

So the first few years that we went every year, it was still extremely special to them. But now....maybe it's their age, I don't know. They're just not as excited.

Don't get me wrong, they looove it, and have the time of their lives when they're at Disneyland, but as far as it being extremely special, I think it's not. Not like it used to be.

I find that's true with places that we go often. I we let our Zoo membership expire this year, as their interest started to wane. We still have an OMSI membership, but they know it so well, it's just another building.

So, yeah...I see what the OP is saying. And I don't disagree.

I just hope that my kids have a healthy love for Disneyland and bring their kids to the parks when they grow up.

• Minion

Blog Entries

i think my problem is not being burned out on disney, its that i get tired fast because i don't sleep well so who wants to be tired in a stuffy hot packed park? i'd rather be at the hotel sleeping, lol

i think if i lived in so cal i could go once or twice a month and be fine, btu people that go everyday that don't work there....its just too much.....anouther related question, how the heck can you afford this lifestyle....you eat in the parks and buy things and gadgets to go with....how do you do it, are yall lawyers or doctors or what? we save for 2 months in advance just to go for a weekend trip that is very spartan.

• Head Postmaster of Random

In a lay-z boy licking stamps and slaping minions...

Quote Originally Posted by claribella View Post
    Hence implying that APer's do not live in the "real world" because they enjoy Disneyland on a weekly basis?

Well I know MY "real world" pays for my AP and all the Disneyland trips I enjoy, including accessories such as a nice camera. So, I certainly hold high respect for the "real world".

The rest...I'm leaving alone...

Just wanted to add that my almost 3 year old has been going to DL since he was 10 months and I feel its up to the parent, me, to make sure he has a decent balance between the "real world" and Disney fun. I plan on upholding that balance. It's my job. Fun memories and times with my son though. Wouldn't give any of that up for the world.
    you have awoken the beast...shes a sorceress you know...ur soo screwed now... lolol anyways ive been going 2-4 times a year since i was....7... not that long ago...12 years but still!!! i love going as much as possible and i agree with calaribella
    "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
    "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
    "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money.
    If you won the lottery what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

• Comin' at ya!

I semi agree. But for me, I love disneyland to death and could ride the rides a million times. I'm sure if I lived in CA I'd go every couple weeks most likely.
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Gumball Rally Volunteer!

It's all in how you present it. My kids get to go a lot more than average goers, however I still make it and portray Disneyland as a very special place.

Because it is.

And I officially reject your so-called "real world"...sounds like a very sad place to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mousephreak23 View Post
    you have awoken the beast...shes a sorceress you know...ur soo screwed now... lolol anyways ive been going 2-4 times a year since i was....7... not that long ago...12 years but still!!! i love going as much as possible and i agree with claribella
    My dear..you mis-represent my powers to these lovely civilians...I'm a lover not a fighter!

• Head Postmaster of Random

In a lay-z boy licking stamps and slaping minions...

Quote Originally Posted by claribella View Post
    My dear..you mis-represent my powers to these lovely civilians...I'm a lover not a fighter!
    LIEES!!!!

^^ knows claribella's true power...and is deathly afraid!!!

hehe
    "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
    "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
    "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money.
    If you won the lottery what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

Quote Originally Posted by mousephreak23 View Post
    LIEES!!!!

^^ knows claribella's true power...and is deathly afraid!!!

hehe
    You highly amuse me...I save my powers for when they are more readily needed....

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast