Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Re: The Park as a Daycare Center

Nevermind, just read Hyperboles post.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by minnietoo View Post
    Never seen that discussed on this board before today.

Where are you getting your information? One quote (from today) doesn't seem to indicate a problem.
    It is actually brought up quite a bit. I've seen the subject discussed many times during my MiceChat tenure.

And FWIW, I've never seen these maurading packs of unsupervised children either.

Quote Originally Posted by Senator David Wu (D-OR)
    Don't let faux-klingons send real Americans to war!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHousingBubbleBlog
    Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Just because you may not notice a problem doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Matterhorn Way is notorious for vandalism and drug abuse among adolescent guests who are using the annual passports.
    So . . . did someone stop them and ask them to show their APs? How do you know that the drug using teens in the park are APers? And if this is a known place for vandalism and drug use - then why isn't something being done about it?
    Minnietoo

• Unhelpful User

Where are you getting your information? One quote (from today) doesn't seem to indicate a problem.

I'm actually arguing the opposite. I've been on Disney boards for probably six years at this point and I've read countless times that unsupervised teenagers were the worst thing to happen to the park in decades. Supposedly they roam around in packs, verbally attacking everyone they see, painting grafitti on everything, and doing drugs whenever they feel like it.

That may be hyperbole, but certainly people have claimed this in the past, or three posts above this one:

Just because you may not notice a problem doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Matterhorn Way is notorious for vandalism and drug abuse among adolescent guests who are using the annual passports.
    Can you give us an example of the "vandalism and drug abuse"? I've seen both at Disneyland, but it wasn't prevalent by any means, and it certainly wasn't restricted to adolescents.

My point is that adolescents are often made scapegoats by adults on these and other Disney boards because it's convenient, even without any real evidence other than "I saw a teenager writing his name on a handrail, therefore all teenagers are scumbags" type reasoning.

• Sun Wheel survivor!

I found them! The unruly packs of teenagers roaming the park:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45276

They are being disguised as members of HS bands and are being hauled in by the bus loads.
    Minnietoo

• Keep that Zebra safe...

I was actually dropped of at disneyland after school during the fourth grade (so not a rowdy teen!) about everyday for a few months. I just sat down in a nice spot and did some people watching, did my homework, grabbed a snack (Dole pineapple whip dinner!), and rode on a few things before getting picked up for a shopping walk down mainstreet. Ahh those were the good old days!

Disneyland Visits - 264
    DCA Visits - 52
    and counting...

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyCarnivora View Post
    I was actually dropped of at disneyland after school during the fourth grade (so not a rowdy teen!) about everyday for a few months.
    Whoa. Your parents left you alone when you were 9 years old?????

Everyone says that the U.S. doesn’t make anything anymore, but that’s not exactly true. We’re the world leader in the manufacturing of bull****.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole View Post
    Whoa. Your parents left you alone when you were 9 years old?????
    Yikes. I think I was....16! The first time I was at the park without a chaperone.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

No I was about 11 and then my parents got worried about me being alone in the park and stopped.

Disneyland Visits - 264
    DCA Visits - 52
    and counting...

So . . . did someone stop them and ask them to show their APs? How do you know that the drug using teens in the park are APers? And if this is a known place for vandalism and drug use - then why isn't something being done about it?
    Yes, security is over there all the time doing just that. The guests destroy the garden lights that line the paths around Ariel's Grotto so that said guests can conceal the drug abuse.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyCarnivora View Post
    No I was about 11 and then my parents got worried about me being alone in the park and stopped.
    Still. My daughter will be 11 in a couple of months (she's in 5th grade). No way would I let her be alone in the park for several hours! That's just shocking.

• I'm your huckleberry.

Yes, security is over there all the time doing just that. They destroy the garden lights that line the paths around Ariel's Grotto so that they can conceal their drug abuse.
    Well, if they'd bring back the PeopleMover they could do it there like teens did back in the 70's and 80's.

I actually felt safer at Disneyland then school (geeze thats sad...) and it was really nice to be around so many people and get to see the characters walking around you while your reading and relaxed.

Disneyland Visits - 264
    DCA Visits - 52
    and counting...

• Unhelpful User

Yes, security is over there all the time doing just that. The guests destroy the garden lights that line the paths around Ariel's Grotto so that said guests can conceal the drug abuse.
    I don't believe this for a second. I can understand that it has happened once but are you honestly trying to say that there is an epidemic of kids breaking lights so they can do drugs? No way.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I still say the vast majority of marauding packs of kids are related to school groups, church groups, and various youth clubs that are there for the day. Typically, they may have four chaperones per 60 kids or so. The chaperones get a coffee beverage and head for the Mark Twain. The kids are on their own until the designated meeting time. I think the vast minority of parentless/chaperoneless kids are dropped off as a baby sitting service.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast