Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: The Park as a Daycare Center

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    I don't believe this for a second. I can understand that it has happened once but are you honestly trying to say that there is an epidemic of kids breaking lights so they can do drugs? No way.
    More likely it is for the prostitution rings that are rampant in Disneyland these days.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    More likely it is for the prostitution rings that are rampant in Disneyland these days.
    What?!?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperbole View Post
    Well, if they'd bring back the PeopleMover they could do it there like teens did back in the 70's and 80's.
    or if they dimmed the lights in the caves on TSI again....not that *I* would know anything about that *innocent look*

anyways, my grandparents used to turn me loose in DL all the time from when i was about 8 years old..but you gotta remember that was back in 1979...times were WAY different back then. There is no way in heck i would let my own 8 year old run loose in DL today, let alone dump them off to entertain themselves a la daycare. Not with today's society
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Minion

Well..
    I go to the park with my friends alone, but we are always nice and it isn't a sub for daycare. And actually usually my dad is with me...
    So not all locals are like that

• Gloomy Day, probably rain

I'm a product of D-land being a babysitter. Although not as often as I liked! My parents would drop me off when I was around 9 with my best friend and let us do our thing at the Park. We'd want to go so many times that they just got tired of going. This was still during the ABCDE ticket years and long before annual passes.

When I was in my early teens I had a "summer pass". Which was great since I could go anytime during the summer and stay at the Park as long as I wanted. Did that for 3 years.

As for recently, I don't notice wild packs of teens running around. Honestly, when I was 16 and had my summer pass I got into all sorts of trouble. I never did drugs but I certainly knew people drank and did drugs. The tagging thing isn't all that new either. I guess now its just more rampant.

Anyways, the Park has a pretty strict policing system. If the kids get caught they get taken back stage and parents are called. If its something criminal like drugs or a sexual assault (yep that happens too), the Park WILL press charges. They'd rather not but if it's a severe offense the Anahiem PD will be called in along with the parents. Not much gets past the Park security either.
    Last edited by mistyisjafo; 11-21-2006 at 10:16 PM. Reason: I can't spell!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    or if they dimmed the lights in the caves on TSI again....not that *I* would know anything about that *innocent look*

anyways, my grandparents used to turn me loose in DL all the time from when i was about 8 years old..but you gotta remember that was back in 1979...times were WAY different back then. There is no way in heck i would let my own 8 year old run loose in DL today, let alone dump them off to entertain themselves a la daycare. Not with today's society

Not to make everyone paranoid....but remember the story that broke last year in the OC Register about the number of sex offenders that the STATE is paying to house in motels right up the street from the DLR? Within walking distance? Are they still there?

I wasn't planning to drop my kids off on their own BEFORE this news, but afterwards....who in their right mind would just abandon their kids at Disneyland?

• no flash photography...

my daughter goes of on her own with her riend. he does not han with us. We meet up a few times during the day, but I am there also I suppose to the casual observer she may look like she is their without a parent, but that is not the case. My daughter is almost 16. She was not allowd to go off with her friends inDL until she was 13.

• a wind to shake the stars

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    I wasn't planning to drop my kids off on their own BEFORE this news, but afterwards....who in their right mind would just abandon their kids at Disneyland?
    Well, supposedly, quite a few parents, which creates the roaming packs of rabid teenagers.

Or not?

• Fight On for ol' SC!

I am there all the time by myself. But i have never considered DL to be a daycare. For me, it is just a great place to go and pin trade. I use pin trading as a reason to go. I love it. Then sometimes my friends will show up and we all have a great time. Our parents trust all of us. I always see groups of teens in the parks but I have never seen a rowdy group marauding through the park. I've only seen pirates do that.

• Fight On for ol' SC!

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    Not to make everyone paranoid....but remember the story that broke last year in the OC Register about the number of sex offenders that the STATE is paying to house in motels right up the street from the DLR? Within walking distance? Are they still there?

Did you hear that the state relocated all of them? I am not at all scared of these predators. DL is a safe place and I don't want to think that anything could happen(sounds like a little perfect world) I know stuff can happen but when I am there it doesnt bother me.

• Closed Account

Hmmm!? My wife and I need a break! I wonder what an 8 month old could do by himself at Disneyland?

I can't imagine using the park as a daycare! For one it is a very EXPENSIVE daycare!!! I think individuals with APs may frequent the park more than people that have to pay for the daily price! Besides if I am dumping my kid off at the park I will be entering the gates with him....meaning when he gets older! Also if kid below the age of 13 have their own APs they have to be the luckiest rugrats in this here US of A or their parents are filthy rich living on the shore in Orange County!

I've seen groups of adults at Disneyland! How can they allow that? Something should be done about that! Some adults even go to Disneyland a few times a week or more! Even if I used to be like them, I don't think anyone but my kind should be allowed at to Disneyland now. I think I will blame all bad on the world on these "others".

• Disney worshipper/geek

OK, here goes:

To those who note how expensive this daycare is, let me help you out. I was at a Fleetwood Mac concert a couple years ago in line for the restrooms. This woman was talking to the pair in front of her, a mother and young daughter, maybe about 12. The woman asked the girl what her favorite Fleetwood Mac song was and the little girl replied that she didn't even like Fleetwood Mac. Basically, this child was brought, taking up a seat that I'm sure some die-hard Fleetwood Mac fan (such as myself, we had lousy seats because it was what we could afford) would have loved to have. It seems like these types of parents have no problem spending the extra money on this sort of thing that makes absolutely no sense to me.

As to evidence to this fact, I see these kids all the time. I went to school with quite a few. I can't stand it. These are also the young girls who used to sit in Pirates and wonder (ALOUD!) why it was nothing like the movie. Now, I'm sure, they squeal and make a ruckus at the Johnny AAs.

Also, I agree with the observation that a lot of these kids are the high school band, cheerleading competition yada yadas. These kids are usually about 15-20 to 1 in relation to the chaperones, and there usually is a check-in point halfway through the day. That's it.

Now, I'm not saying every teenagers is a miserable rat that has no respect, etc. I was not one of those. But I think children (especially those whose families can afford yearly premium APs) that they paid to be here, so they can do what they want. Or, as in this case, they are not supervised in their life, so they don't care about what their children do.

Now, I haven't noticed much of anything so bad, because Disney caps it so well.

To those who insist that they were babysat at Disneyland and turned out fine, good for you. You are adults now. You should be well adjusted by now either way. The point is that kids are being raised differently. We are getting the second generation fallout from the Dr. Spock "let children do what they want" ideal that doesn't work. Now these kids are raising kids who are not dicsiplined either. It's not 100% everywhere, but there is a surprizing amount of it.
    My mind won't rest
    and I don't sleep
    Not even in my dreams...
    -"If You Ever Did Believe"
    written by Stevie Nicks

Chasen Matthew Pacheco
    1985-2005

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Quote Originally Posted by sorceress1986 View Post
    The point is that kids are being raised differently. We are getting the second generation fallout from the Dr. Spock "let children do what they want" ideal that doesn't work. Now these kids are raising kids who are not dicsiplined either. It's not 100% everywhere, but there is a surprizing amount of it.
    This seems to be so true. I teach (college level) and ,many in this generation of young adults seems to have an attitude of entitlement. The more seasoned faculty say that they have noticed a huge change in the past 5 years. Some students believe they should get an A just for registering for a class (they don't even show up). We wonder what has changed in society for kids to change so much. I was talking about with my son (young adult) and we came to the conclusion it is related to the abundance of things (all things including food and clothing) available and that parents tend to want to "give their kids more than they had - or things they didn't have" and as each generation has a little more - each generation expects a more and believes more is their right to have. It will be interesting to see how the next generation is affected.
    Minnietoo

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by nemopoppins View Post
    I've seen groups of adults at Disneyland! How can they allow that? Something should be done about that! Some adults even go to Disneyland a few times a week or more! Even if I used to be like them, I don't think anyone but my kind should be allowed at to Disneyland now. I think I will blame all bad on the world on these "others".
    hahahaha!

In truth I've seen nastier, more rowdy adults in some cases. I've seen parents cut and shove in front of others to get their tots to meet Captain Jack Sparrow. I had at least five parents do this to me in one try. As for sexual deviance, I was at Cafe Orleans with my boyfriend, and a whole group of adults (I'd say 30s-40s) were not using very clean language...and there were children sitting by them at the next table. They also had a "childish" competition to stuff beniets in their mouths.

Come on people, as much as you'd like to point a finger at one group that you're not a part of, you have to acknowledge that any particular group can be annoying...and it's the few bad eggs that set a bad impression in everyone's minds, setting a bad rep.

As for dropping children off at Disneyland as a daycare? I don't know anything about that. Going to Disneyland was a privilige for me...a once-a-year type thing that usually happened the day before school started back up. I always had some sort of chaperone up until I turned maybe 16 or 17. But I don't live in the OC...I live a little more than an hour away.

If some of you are saying that it's a daycare for teens, well then...you're not really acknowledging the fact that teens can actually drive themselves to Disneyland by a certain age. If you're judging 16 year olds, then you're also judging the law. Or perhaps they have friends that are a year or so older than them. By that point, they're really not considered children anymore and are capable of taking care of themselves to a certain extent.

The only time I've ever encountered "rowdy teenagers" at the park was at Grad Nite. And considering that the park turns into a very different place, it doesn't suprise me.

Also, for the record, if I had a child, I certainly would not let them have the roam of the park to themselves until their mid-teens and that they'd be with a group of friends that I trust and know would take care of each other. It all has to do with maturity.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast