Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: The Park as a Daycare Center

Quote Originally Posted by WatchYourHeadNStep View Post
    Hmmm!? My wife and I need a break! I wonder what an 8 month old could do by himself at Disneyland?

I can't imagine using the park as a daycare! For one it is a very EXPENSIVE daycare!!!
    Not really.. full day daycare is about $1000-$1500 a month per child here. A AP for $500 or so that lasts all year.. that's cheap.

• Disney Nerd

I was one of these kids....I had an AP from the time I was 8, and had one up until I hired in @ 16. then i didnt need it.....

my friends and i got dropped off, usually when my dad was working...and would run around the park til he was off. but i can promise that i wasnt one of those bratty packs of kids that wreaks havoc around the parks...
    Last edited by fantoongal; 11-22-2006 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nemopoppins View Post
    I've seen groups of adults at Disneyland! How can they allow that? Something should be done about that! Some adults even go to Disneyland a few times a week or more! Even if I used to be like them, I don't think anyone but my kind should be allowed at to Disneyland now. I think I will blame all bad on the world on these "others".

Damn the "others" I say! Damn them! I only wish I knew what they were doing on the island...

• Lost in Wonderland

I've seen it last Feb., and I am not a CM. Although it was only 3 unsupervised kids on Autopia. They were very young to be running around by themselves. The oldest I would say is 7 and the youngest 5/6. Of course their parents might've been waiting at the exit and chose not to ride the ride and let them go on by themselves, but who knows for sure. Personally even if they were at the exit it's still bad parenting leaving young children alone. Who knows what could happen to them...

Parents sometimes boggle my mind.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Sorry, letting a child ride alone in a they are allowed to.. is nothing like and can't be compared at all.. to dropping a child at the park

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    On these boards I see claims relatively often that parents buy their children annual passes and drop them off at the parks on a very regular basis as a substitute for daycare or babysitting. This is generally seen as a bad thing.

Does anyone have any actual evidence for this phenomenon being widespread, or even happening at all? I'd like a newspaper article but I'd settle for "my aunt's cousin's friend said..." because I feel like that's all I'm going to get.
    I recall a newspaper article some 10 years ago. It mentioned that the kids got bored after a few weeks and would hang out with other kids in the same boat. Their mischief would be mostly limited to shoplifting and when caught they would get kicked out and their AP's would be revoked.

I know my cousins got dropped off to wander about Disneyland. They were probably 15, 13, and 8. They are VERY peaceful kids though, I can't even see them cursing, much less raising trouble in DL. (I guess because they're all girls, they are just all a little TOO nice.)
    The more people I meet the more I like animals. -Unknown

• Defying gravity

Well, I'm 16 myself. I see plently of other people my age in DL. It makes me envious because I wish I could go with my friends who also live 800 miles away. Honestly, it seems that teenagers have the most fun in DL. The rowdy people are usually cranky adults with their bratty toddlers and massive strollers.

As far as dropping 8 year olds off, that seems a little too young. However, in some cases, DL is much safer than being at home alone or in a daycare. DL can also help keep kids off the streets.

Now as far as there being a drug problem at DL, I've never heard of that.....

Yes, let's please be careful not to generalize teenagers! Sure there are some that are rowdier, but there are also many that are polite and nice. When I'm at the park with friends, I always make sure that me and my friends are polite to others.
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    On these boards I see claims relatively often that parents buy their children annual passes and drop them off at the parks on a very regular basis as a substitute for daycare or babysitting. This is generally seen as a bad thing.

Does anyone have any actual evidence for this phenomenon being widespread, or even happening at all? I'd like a newspaper article but I'd settle for "my aunt's cousin's friend said..." because I feel like that's all I'm going to get.

I actually know people that have done this....and it seems like a great idea economically speaking, but what ends up happening is you have these unruly children 'attacking' the park and just taking over - because in reality, there is no 'care' going on........they're just allowed to do whatever they want in a 'secure' environment.

Not a good idea, I think.

My parents never let me go alone until I could drive myself there. My parents were very strict. But I did go with a friend in 6th grade (after school, usually on Fridays), and we'd hang out in DL by ourselves. I can't remember if the mom dropped us off or was just on her own in the park. That was when I did my worst damage, I threw a couple of Skittles off of the PeopleMover!

I also went to DL or Knotts or Six Flags as part of Band Tour each year. In Elem and Jr. High we were required to stay with our chaperones. In high school we could be on our own but I think we had to check in at lunch, and they'd give us lunch money from the tour budget.

Where I live, the city offers daycare through age 11. There are supervised activities available for older children at certain times, but they are free to come and go as they please. I think it is generally expected that at 12 years old and older, children are able to bear some of the responsibility for their own care. Certainly high schoolers are, so I think that the definition of using Disneyland as a day care should only apply to young children. In that sense, there seems to be very little evidence in these posts of anyone really attempting to use Disneyland as a day care. As for the older children, I'd love it if my kids had the opportunity to hang out in Disneyland while I was at work instead of, say, skateboarding in the streets or playing nonstop video games, etc.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234