Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Unhelpful User

The Park as a Daycare Center

On these boards I see claims relatively often that parents buy their children annual passes and drop them off at the parks on a very regular basis as a substitute for daycare or babysitting. This is generally seen as a bad thing.

Does anyone have any actual evidence for this phenomenon being widespread, or even happening at all? I'd like a newspaper article but I'd settle for "my aunt's cousin's friend said..." because I feel like that's all I'm going to get.

• Minion

Re: The Park as a Daycare Center

Ask any CM at the park. I'm sure they can confirm this. When I worked there in 95 I saw alot of the same kids almost every day. You don't see it as much during the school season but during summer it is more apparent.

•   
    • Senior Minion

I know personally I am unsure of where it came from, but I do tend to see groups of young kids walking around with no parents more often then usual - and especially during the summer months. Maybe they're off on their own and will meet up with their parents later on, but I don't see families together like I used to.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Could be a lot of locals? If that's true that's sad.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

I can vouch for the same. Just consider the cost of day-care, and compare it to the cost of a premium annual passport. Disneyland is a tremendous value in that light.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 11-21-2006 at 03:23 PM.

• Sshhh, being very quiet

Quote Originally Posted by The International View Post
    On these boards I see claims relatively often that parents buy their children annual passes and drop them off at the parks on a very regular basis as a substitute for daycare or babysitting. This is generally seen as a bad thing.

Does anyone have any actual evidence for this phenomenon being widespread, or even happening at all? I'd like a newspaper article but I'd settle for "my aunt's cousin's friend said..." because I feel like that's all I'm going to get.

I can't say that I have witnessed this all that much. Maybe occasionally I see a group of teens but it's fairly rare for me.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    I can vouch for the same. Just consider the cost of day-care, and compare it with the cost of a premium annual passport. Disneyland is a tremendous value in that light.
    But leaving children at home is even cheaper. Why not do that?

• my two sunshines

When I was a teen and went to the park - well we didnt' have daycare then - we went on the good ole' public transportation - and one parent would pick up or we took the late bus home BUT then it was safe to do that - I NEVER dropped off my kids at the park- oh no, parental supervision no matter how old - even at my kids graduation parties, I went and chaperoned to make sure the kids showed respect to the park and people there. Granted, we would go to a land and the kids told me what rides they were going on and we'd meet an hour or two later BUT never just let them go anywhere -

I have always noticed that a lot of the teens, not all, but I would say 90% that I saw were disrespectful to others at the park and the park in general and it would really ruin my time in that land or ride.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

I do see groups of kids at the park with no parents in sight, but in regard to these statements being made, Ive never seen anyone say "I have a pass for my kids and just drop them off and meet them later" In fact, the people I know on this board that take their kids to the park, stay with them all day.

Wow. That was a serious run on sentence. Sorry.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

But leaving children at home is even cheaper. Why not do that?
    Same reason dogs don't make where they sleep
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Head Postmaster of Random

In a lay-z boy licking stamps and slaping minions...

ive been there with friends and let the parents go and do other things ( wine cellar )...but if i was gonna do that daycare idea; id just throw my kids in the closet with a tv and a disney dvd collection and tell them to be good... lol jkkk, ive never seen kids under the teens running around by themselves...
    "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
    "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
    "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money.
    If you won the lottery what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

• Unhelpful User

I'm not talking about kids going on Space Mountain while the parents get lunch, I'm referring to the problem of packs of rowdy teenagers roaming the parks while their parents are at work.

I see the problem of teenagers and children brought up quite often, I just thought I'd see if I could get to the bottom of it. Example:

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    These days there are countless kids out there with Annual Passes who visit at least once a week. Some of them visit daily because the parents use the Disneyland resort as a daycare center in the summertime and just drop off the kids there while they go to work.

Disneyland used to have a policy that children had to be accompanied by adults in certain places, but I am not sure if it is still in effect.

• Sun Wheel survivor!

Never seen that discussed on this board before today.

I'm not talking about kids going on Space Mountain while the parents get lunch, I'm referring to the problem of packs of rowdy teenagers roaming the parks while their parents are at work.

I see the problem of teenagers and children brought up quite often, I just thought I'd see if I could get to the bottom of it. Example:
    I go to the park pretty often and have yet to see "packs of rowdy teenagers roaming the parks."

Where are you getting your information? One quote (from today) doesn't seem to indicate a problem.
    Minnietoo

Just because you may not notice a problem doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Matterhorn Way is notorious for vandalism and drug abuse among adolescent guests who are using the annual passports.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast