Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Just something to consider:
    http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/adaag.htm#A15.1
    "There will be other amusement attractions that have unique designs and features which are not adequately addressed by the guidelines. In those situations, the guidelines are to be applied to the extent possible."

So, for example, DCA rides, all of which were built after the ADA was adopted in 1990, do not always allow a guest to remain in a wheelchair. 4 of bug's land attractions require guests to transfer from wheelchair/ECV. A total of 13 attractions out of DCA's 30 require guests to make such a transfer.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Hooterville, USA

I say do away with the subs, and let it be a place for us to snorkle with mermaids. Wahooooo!

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Bruce Timm is a genuis.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    In reference to their engines, . . . When the subs were still operating, one of the subs was converted to operate on compressed natural gas. However, this sub also experienced the most downtime as was often parked at the dock. So it remains to be seen waht will be the fuel of choice should the subs return to scooting around the lagoon once again.

Cris
    Of course, that was about 10 years ago, yes? Perhaps the technology has improved a bit since then.
    Light a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the night. Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

My webpage, it's Blogtastic!

Now with working Guestbook!

• Reaver of Souls

Come on, people! These are subs we're talking about! Everyone knows the best subs these days are nuclear...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Minion

You know, I wonder... with the lagoon drained anyway, would it be possible to eliminate the need for an onboard engine by putting a drive mechanism in the track itself? Done properly, you could have the main track control the trip through the reef and caves, and a section of track at the loading station supervised by a single CM, eliminating the need for a captain on each ship and thus decreasing daily operating costs.
    See, George Lucas? I'm not the only one! [<-- i.e. this is not my site]
    78 Reasons To Hate Star Wars Episode 1

"There are fashions in reading, even in thinking. You don't have to follow them unless you want to."

"A lot of young people think the future is closed to them, that everything has been done. This is not so. There are still plenty of avenues to be explored."

-- Walt Disney

• Shubisha

Stuff underwater breaks. If they do that they'd have to drain the lagoon every time the ride went down seriously. And the subs would be stranded in their spot unless they bust out a tugboat, which would be funny.

How old are those tracks in the lagoon ? and how long have they been underwater i mean are they rusty they must be falling apart. What are they made of are they gonna have to replace the tracks too?

• My Children's Father

Doesn't biodiesel give off the smell of french fries? If the subs (either new or refurbished old ones) were made to run on biodiesel, McDonald's could open a fry cart near the lagoon, sponsor the ride, have a place to dispose their old fry oil, and make out like bandits! Or, better yet, Disney could open their own fry cart and make out like a bandit ........
    "She's taking everything. She's taking the house, she's taking the kid, she's taking the dog. IT'S NOT EVEN HER DOG. IT'S MY DOG! SHE'S TAKING . . . MY DOG!"
    - Ron Livingston, "Band of Brothers"

Quote Originally Posted by pjdonnell
    Of course, that was about 10 years ago, yes? Perhaps the technology has improved a bit since then.
    I would think so. But my main point was that Disney can obviously put new engine in the subs without scrapping the entire sub. I was using the example of the sub that was converted to a compressed natural gas engine in the days when the subs were still operating.

I'm curious now. . . . What fuel do the parking lot trams at DL and WDW use now?

Cris

Too bad they got rid of those Nautilus subs in florida otherwise maybe we could have used those subs. But were they disiel fuel powered too?

The Nautili subs in Florida were larger than those in DL, The attraction was built with completely different proportions, so it would not have been a matter of just putting them on the track out here. But they were really cool looking ;-)

Cris

• Toys 'R' Us Kid

Quote Originally Posted by pjdonnell
    Improved yes, but it takes more time to service a natural gas engine. The main reason for this is that a natural gas engine needs spark plugs were a diesel engine does not. A diesel is also more operation friendly in a water enviroment due this type of engine being able to run (not that it does) fully submerged as long as it has an air supply. Most other motors are not so water friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by robotpirates
    Yeah. Not to mention that the old subs have been sitting in the showroom for years and are probably all moldy and stank and gross.
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict
    eeeewwwwwwwwwww

now THAT would be a monster for a ride

bleh
    I can see it now!!!! "Submarine Voyage Through A Teenager's Room"

*CACKLE* :devil:
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

actually, they converted one of the subs to natural gas as an experiment when it was still operating. so im sure if they can redo the interior they will walso be able to convert to natural gas

Does anybody know How big the subs show building is ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast