Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Maybe the Original Subs won't be Returning!!

A friend of mine, whose father is an imagineer for Disney who told me the monorail would go down right after the 50th about 4 years ago.
    The father told me that the subs will not be running on diesel engines anymore but instead an alternate source of energy. I did not want to further press him with the question. But from what i got out of it, unless they totally altered the yellow subs with new material, its not looking like the old subs will be coming back but a new submarine equipped to handle something but diesel.

• Official Mice Chat person

Oh, your talking about the subs themselvs. I've heard that the diesel made a lot of people mad due to enviormental problems. And I've also heard that the old subs loading stair case wouldn't be acceptable to todays safety standards. So I'm guessing that's why they will get new subs. I really hoped they would anyway, but that's just me.

• Rainicorn.

Yeah. Not to mention that the old subs have been sitting in the showroom for years and are probably all moldy and stank and gross.
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by robotpirates
    Yeah. Not to mention that the old subs have been sitting in the showroom for years and are probably all moldy and stank and gross.
    eeeewwwwwwwwwww

now THAT would be a monster for a ride

bleh

Ya but some of the major outlets like Jim Hill and even Al have been reporting that the same subs would be used so i thought i would report what i heard

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Titanfreak46
    Ya but some of the major outlets like Jim Hill and even Al have been reporting that the same subs would be used so i thought i would report what i heard
    As much as I respect there opinion, I saw the interior of the subs two years ago and unless the EPA can look past the mold I doubt the originals could be used.

• Banned User

Disney can use the old subs as long as they are cleaned badely...

They wanted to use them for the Grandfather clause of the Accesibility act.... Since the subs wouldn't be altered to add an elevator for wheel chairs....

I think we will see the current subs cleaned and fixed up... (new engine and paint job.. interior fixed up.... ext...)

• Minion

Im sure if the old subs returned, they would be heavily refurbed and not just placed back on the track. That would be bad show. Its my guess that they will have the old sub shells with upgraded controls, completely gut and install a new interior, and a new engine type to keep operating costs down. I just dont see it in a relativly small $50 mil budget to get completely new subs.

• Never Look Back

$50 million, was that their set budget for the Nemo subs?

As everyone has mentioned before, the old subs must be used in order to escaped being wheelchair accessible. Even if new subs were built from scratch (an undertaking so expensive, that it would be quite prohibitive), their narrow size would not allow them to be wheelcair accessible either.

In reference to their engines, . . . When the subs were still operating, one of the subs was converted to operate on compressed natural gas. However, this sub also experienced the most downtime as was often parked at the dock. So it remains to be seen waht will be the fuel of choice should the subs return to scooting around the lagoon once again.

Cris

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

50 million can buy a lot of TIDE with Bleach ....

In fact; woudn't Tide make a great sponsor for the Subs?
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail_Blue
    $50 million, was that their set budget for the Nemo subs?
    About 70 million.

• That's Hawt

Even more Tide with Bleach!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Crispy
    In reference to their engines, . . . When the subs were still operating, one of the subs was converted to operate on compressed natural gas. However, this sub also experienced the most downtime as was often parked at the dock. So it remains to be seen waht will be the fuel of choice should the subs return to scooting around the lagoon once again.

Cris
    Hmm.. but natural gas is more cheaper.... and cleaner... perhaps their is a way to make it natural gas and have an electric backup.. (hybrid engine??)

• Minion

Seeing how decreptit (sp) the subs are on the outside, I can only imagine what they look like inside. Im sure the cost of getting new subs would be a lot...but we are talking about disney here. Otherwise they will need a total refurbishment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast