Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Angry Disneyland security checkpoints-OR-I sure feel safe now!

I know that this issue has been discussed before, but we have a much bigger board than we did before and I'd like to bring this subject up again.
    Thank you.

As everybody probably knows by now, I was at the Park last weekend visiting Club 33.
    We got into Anaheim at 1:45 pm and had a 2:15 lunch reservation. Obviously we were running late , so we cleaned up in the hotel lobby bathroom (didn't even check-in), threw on the backpack and hauled booty over to the Park.
    When we entered at the security checkpoint (by DCA) the lady looking thru my backpack see's my Swiss Army Knife (that my wife and kids got for me on Fathers Day) in a zippered compartment. This knife has 16 different tools(including 2 different length knife blades, 1.5" and 2.33")

She tells me that knives are not allowed on Disney Property.
    Okay, my bad, now what? She tells me that if I'd like, I can take it back to my car (1/4 mile away down Harbor Blvd.) I explain that I have a 2:15 appointment inside the Park, and is it possible to give it to Guest Relations, which is very close to the checkpoint. "No, you can't do that". Okay, so can I throw it away? "No, you can't dispose of it in a trash receptacle on Disney property". Well, what the heck can I do with it? I have an appointment that I'm not missing! "You can leave it here with us, we'll give it to Anaheim PD and they will dispose of it". Fine. Take the knife.

You see, at this point I'm PO'd, because first of all, Disney doesn't give you a heads-up when coming on property about pocket knives in your backpacks until you're almost in, and a 1/2 hour away from the car. The second reason I'm bowed up is because they don't have an alternative plan for you if you do carry a pocket knife in your backpack.

Notice how I said,"in your backpack"? This is the point of my post:
    You can carry a freakin' Uzi into Disneyland under your shirt, or a small firearm in your pocket, but try to bring a pocket knife in your backpack
    and it's gone mister.

It's such a joke!

The next day, I came back to the Park. This time I brought my knife back
    (Oh, I didn't mention that, did I? Yeah, I got my knife back. I won't say how, in order to protect the innocent, but yeah, I got it back )

Anyways, this time I put my knife in my pocket, and I walked right thru. As I was leaving the checkpoint, I turned to my wife and said," Boy, I sure feel safe now"

My point about this rant is how preposterous the Disneyland security checkpoints are. If Disney thinks that they are protecting themselves from a lawsuit by having a "security checkpoint" that doesn't protect the public, they are wrong.

And they aren't protecting the public from those that want to do harm. Bad guys aren't going to be deterred by the security checkpoints, they'll just carry the contraband in on their bodies.

So just do away with 'em. They're stupid and ineffective!

And out of curiousity, does anybody here feel that the checkpoints are doing a good job of keeping Disneyland safe?
    Let the flaming begin...
    Last edited by Circarama; 11-21-2006 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added question to ponder.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

•   

Re: Disneyland security checkpoints-OR-I sure feel safe now!

I totally agree with you!!!!
    I've always thought it was a joke!

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

It's all part of the post-9-11 hysteria isn't it? Organisations need to be seen doing something so they make their visible security measures more theatrical than practical. In truth they really aren't sure what to do.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Good thing I wasn't in the park when they let you in with that 1.5 inch machetti you were carrying!

I agree that the check points are a joke. Either fix them so they are effective, or do away with them altogether.
    Foolish Mortal

• Rock Star Minion

Yeah it sucks.
    Next topic??

Problem is, once they saw the knife, they are charged with knowledge. If you were to do something with it, DIS would be held liable because security let you though.
    It's a lawsuit-proof checkpoint. Put it in your pocket or sock next time.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by doombuggy driver View Post
    Good thing I wasn't in the park when they let you in with that 1.5 inch machetti you were carrying!

I agree that the check points are a joke. Either fix them so they are effective, or do away with them altogether.
    The cool thing about that knife is that it has all the little tools I need to modify a lanyard, pin and lanyard medal while I'm in the Park.
    I wonder if they would have let it in if I broke off the knife blades when I was at the security checkpoint.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

•   
    • So fetch

I won't flame you. The security checkpoint is a joke.

• Minion

Wink Re: Disneyland security checkpoints-OR-I sure feel safe now!

The whole security gate thing is the biggest joke since Pressler took control of the park. Most of the CM's checking bags are senior citizens and while I respect the crap out of older folks I know that sometimes their eyes are not as sharp as they were when Nixon was still in office. The last time I went the lady that checked my backpack had the thickest glasses i had ever seen and she briefly glanced into my bag. I had a camera and a sweatshirt in there. She didn't make me move anything or show her anything, I just opened up my bag, she glanced inside and I was on my way. I could have had sticks of dynamite, a gun or even a swiss army knife!

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    ... I could have had sticks of dynamite, a gun or even a swiss army knife!

• Blood Type:Mint Julep!

Yep! Just a false sense of security. I see strollers the size of small cars with just as many compartments and they hardly check those things! My Nightmare bag has about 4 different compartments, but all they check is the main one!
    Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it the four beers you had at DCA, hmmm?

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Problem is, once they saw the knife, they are charged with knowledge. If you were to do something with it, DIS would be held liable because security let you though.
    It's a lawsuit-proof checkpoint. Put it in your pocket or sock next time.
    Yeah, but if they are supposedly checking bags and they just give a cursory look and somebody does pull out an Uzi (or a swiss Army knife) from one of the unchecked compartments aren't they still liable?

• Haunted Mansion Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    The cool thing about that knife is that it has all the little tools I need to modify a lanyard, pin and lanyard medal while I'm in the Park.
    I wonder if they would have let it in if I broke off the knife blades when I was at the security checkpoint.
    I don't know, the bottle opener and the toothpick are very threatning.
    Foolish Mortal

• Rock Star Minion

If you had a backpack that looked big enough to carry something like an Uzi, it's looked into.
    What's funny is that they'll look into my wife's tiny purse!! "Say whatcha got in there, Missy? Atom bomb? Torpedo?"
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

The only thing more irrational than the Disney security checkpoints is trying to make sense of them.

It is just one more nonsensical, illogical response to 9-11.

Remind me to tell you about my seventy-seven year old mother's knitting needles in Disneyland sometime.
    Rick

• Grumpy old man

I wasn't sure what kind of security percuations Disney had taken since 9/11 when I went back in June. So I planned on avoiding brining my wallet chain (great for crowded areas like theme parks and fairgrounds) and my pocket knife into the park. But I do wear my shorts which have huge pockets (I could carry 4 maybe 5 bottles of water in my shorts if I needed to) and they were filled with stuff (camera, water, film, etc). I walked right through. While they checked my cousin's tiny purse that could barely fit a tube of lipstick in it. What a joke.

Especially considering I have so much trouble getting into the fargrounds in Pleasanton, Vallejo and Sacramento because I'm wearing steel-toed boots or have studs on my belt.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast