Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

Angry Alarm Goes Off At Disney's Grand Californian

On my trip to Disneyland we stayed at the Grand Californian Hotel, Wednesday at about 9:00 AM we hear an alarm and a voice saying "THIS IS AN EMERGENCY! DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS" What Do I do?? Run For My life. We got a call later saying they were looking in to the cause of the alarm! Some people were saying it was just a drill! Just thought I'd share this info with you all!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone !
    Last edited by Walt Jr.; 11-24-2006 at 05:59 PM.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Re: Alarm Goes Off At Disney's Grand Californian

You got off better then MiceChat's "Disneynut" did last year on December 27th. That is the day that the Christmas tree in the GCH caught on fire at 3am and they had to evacutae the guest, many of them into DCA.
    It wasn't a very pleasant experience for them and it got worse when Disney wanted to charge for the stay. I think they backed-down after the uproar, but I do remember it got pretty ugly there for a while.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Still wants to be a cat!

Happened to me last year also, the Sunday following Thanksgiving, no biggie!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Blood Type:Mint Julep!

Good morning!
    Is this haunted room actually stretching? Or is it the four beers you had at DCA, hmmm?

• Minion

This was part of Disney's new promotion: Year of a million screams

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    On my trip to Disneyland we stayed at the Grand Californian Hotel, Wednesday at about 9:00 AM we hear an alarm and a voice saying "THIS IS AN EMERGENCY! DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS" What Do I do?? Run For My life. We got a call later saying they were looking in to the cause of the alarm! Some people were saying it was just a drill! Just thought I'd share this info with you all!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone !

Something like this happened to my wife and I at the Flamingo in Laughlin about 3 years ago - at 3am mind you - and it was HIGHLY annoying. We packed our bags and started heading to the stairwells to make our 7 flights down...........NO BUENO. As we got to the stairwells, they announced it was a 'FALSE ALARM'. Really really annoying....

• 1 Fanboy to Rule Them All

I know, preparedness sucks! I'd rather just let circumstance take it's course in the event of a real emergency!

• That Guy

What a sad, sad tale.

Gripe away, but if an alarm goes off, only a moron would ignore it. Seriously, that is how people die, by ignoring alarms and warnings telling them to get out.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Unfortunately when you have big buildings and hyper-sensitive smoke detectors and alarm systems, you will get false alarms. And at hotels, you get the occasional stupid Ummm, "Adam-Henry" that either insists on smoking in the hall right below a detector, or thinks pulling the fire alarm at 2 AM is real fun...

Remember Rule Number One, the one that is printed on the HHGTTG cover in big letters:

DON'T PANIC.

Hotels are big buildings and are fireproofed nine ways to Sunday so the fire will stay contained for at least 10 - 15 minutes, and the staff is trained to react quickly to fire alarms and things like that. You do NOT want to just ignore the alarms, but you normally have some time to check it out before you have to react.

Stick your head out the room door (carefully!) and check for smoke, look out the window to make sure whatever the trouble is it's not directly below your room - If the danger is not imminent, you have time.

Throw on some clothes and shoes quickly, check the hall again, gather up your irreplaceable stuff (*) and formulate a plan, and if you don't hear the All Clear announcement by then you start making your way out of the building in a calm and careful manner.

*Leave all your luggage in the room, more than likely you'll be back in the room quickly, as soon as they can be assured it's a false alarm or the problem is contained. And if not, it's all replaceable.

You only grab purses and wallets, the room key, travel documents and papers, medications and medical devices, and outerwear appropriate for the season. Every group should have a small flashlight with them for just these events. Then be prepared to move out.

And as the lessons of 9-11 taught: Even if they insist that you stay inside and stay put, that there's nothing wrong... If that little voice in the back of your head says "Get Out Now!", you listen to that little voice and you Get Out, Now. Experience shows it's amazing how often that little voice is right, and you ignore it at your own peril.

After you are safely outside, THEN you analyze the situation again to decide on going back in.

The people making the PA announcements are usually holed up in a little windowless Fire Control Room on the other side of the complex, and may not be working with all the information.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

It was almost a year ago that the tree went up in flames. I think Darkbeer still has the photos around somewhere. Not a bad idea to get out of there when you hear an alarm.

*Rummages around smugmug*

Found the link.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1074403

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    It was almost a year ago that the tree went up in flames. I think Darkbeer still has the photos around somewhere. Not a bad idea to get out of there when you hear an alarm.

*Rummages around smugmug*

Found the link.

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1074403

Too true!

• The Mystery Mouseketool

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post

Stick your head out the room door (carefully!) and check for smoke, look out the window to make sure whatever the trouble is it's not directly below your room - If the danger is not imminent, you have time.

--<< Bruce >>--
    Excellent advice, but remember what we all learned from Backdraft:
    Before you open any door, feel it to make sure it's not hot, THEN stick your head out!

- Johnny
    "Remember, no matter where you go, there you are." - BB

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Well, it sure beats a real fire and the alarm NOT going off...

GCH is just the little hub of emergencies, ain't it?
    Last edited by Loomis; 11-24-2006 at 09:20 PM.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
    Excellent advice, but remember what we all learned from Backdraft:
    Before you open any door, feel it to make sure it's not hot, THEN stick your head out!

- Johnny
    Yes, I knew that, and more - but I'm writing a MiceChat post here, not a paperback novel. You have to tread a fine line on what to put in and what to leave out...

Besides, "Worst Case Scenarios - A Survival Guide" has already been written. As long as you remember that most important rule (Don't Panic!) you're already way ahead of the game.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Head Postmaster of Random

In a lay-z boy licking stamps and slaping minions...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Yes, I knew that, and more - but I'm writing a MiceChat post here, not a paperback novel. You have to tread a fine line on what to put in and what to leave out...

Besides, "Worst Case Scenarios - A Survival Guide" has already been written. As long as you remember that most important rule (Don't Panic!) you're already way ahead of the game.

--<< Bruce >>--
    haha hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy plug?!?! hmm i wonnddderrrr....
    "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
    "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
    "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money.
    If you won the lottery what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast