Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Collision speed....FULL!

Ward Kimball Locomotive Art

As many of you know, Disneyland restored an engine known as the Ward Kimball and was added to the Disneyland Railroad back in '05. Unfortunatley, the Kimball hasn't been running because it has been causing problems because of it's low throttle valve which has been sucking in water from the boiler, known as "pulling over". The engine has been in the roundhouse since almost from when it entered service to correct this problem. Fortunatley, the engine will return to service possible sometime this month. Although I have yet to see it in person, I have had in interest in the engine since I heard of it becoming the fifth engine. I like the paint scheme they came up with, the deep red, black boiler and the traditional brass trimming.

So as my first colored pencil drawing, I decided to have the Ward Kimball as my subject. I am very pleased on how it came out!

The medium is a mixed, mainly colored pencil but there is some chalk (sky) and some acrylic paint(ballast, highlights)

You may also find this drawing familiar later on, as it will be on the cover of Steve DeGaetano's new book on the history of the Ward Kimball locomotive which is to come out sometime next year. (Steve will probably tell you all about it!)

I am so pleased on how it came out that I may do another drawing of a different Disneyland Railroad engine in a different area of the Park. I have thought of doing one of the Ernest S. Marsh in front of the Small World facade in the daytime or the nightime with the IASW holiday lights.

BTW, If you have a strong interest in the Disneyland Railroad or the other Disney railroads from around the world then I suggest you take a visit to the Disney Railroads Discussion Board at Burnsland.com
    Last edited by Nautilus; 11-24-2006 at 07:57 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Re: Ward Kimball Locomotive Art

Wow, great drawing!
    Mike

• World Traveler

That is REALLY beautiful!

• Lowering Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Unfortunatley, the Kimball hasn't been running because it has been causing problems because of it's low throttle valve which has been sucking in water from the boiler, known as "pulling over". The engine has been in the roundhouse since almost from when it entered service to correct this problem.
    Yeah, when I was heading backstage after marching the parade route, I saw the Ward Kimball engine sitting just outside the roundhouse. It looked kinda sad, sitting in between monorail pylons and concrete barriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    So as my first colored pencil drawing...
    Your first??? That's SO good! That is definitely book cover material right there. And you should totally do the picture you described of the Marsh in front of IASW, but do it at night with all the lights!
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Nice job with the drawing! Last Wednesday I saw an engine I hadn't seen much of before. The holiday something or other? I was wondering if they just bring this one out for heavy crowd periods, or when one of the others goes down.

• Senior Minion

Excellent job with the drawing! The colors and angles are so well done. Thanks for sharing this here.

C.K Holiday is the train, LDF.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• back in Austin

nice. Rock on!

wow that's gorgeous

i'd buy that! hahaha
    Currently at DreamWorks Animation SKG

Former Disneyland Adventureland Castmember
    [Skipper & Archaeologist]

AWESOME DRAWING!!! I agree with dchun, I would totally buy that.

Can I make a suggestion for one of your future ones? (sorry, photographer in me that can never get a decent shot of the engines.) Try doing the Ripley going past Rivers of America from around 1955-1960. You could always see the train well from the river before everything grew out. Or the Ripley pulling into Frontierland/New Orleans Square station. If you didnt notice, I like the Ripley. Alright, foaming over. Great drawing!

• Closed Account

Here's what Sam's drawing looks like on the cover. Look for an announcement on the new book in the next couple of days!

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by BNeumayr View Post
    Can I make a suggestion for one of your future ones? (sorry, photographer in me that can never get a decent shot of the engines.) Try doing the Ripley going past Rivers of America from around 1955-1960. You could always see the train well from the river before everything grew out. Or the Ripley pulling into Frontierland/New Orleans Square station. If you didnt notice, I like the Ripley. Alright, foaming over. Great drawing!
    That is a good idea! Though, I hate doing trees, lots of them! I haven't figured out an easy method of doing them yet and it's kinda neat to to do an engine that hasn't been a subject in art yet, the Ernest S. Marsh. It would be neat to have a drawing/print of every engine on the Disneyland Railroad hanging in my work room.

If you're into steam trains (with a Disney connection) the late Ward Kimball's steam train "Emma Nevada" is in a large shed at the Orange Empire Railway Museum, in Perris, CA. It ran on Ward's backyard railroad, Grizzly Flats, named (and used) in a Disney film.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

• Hola!

thats your first colored pencil drawing! WOW! My first colored pencil drawing was a pop art piece, so it looked a lot different than yours. Keep up the good work!

Another thing for Disney Railroad buffs is the Original coache on the DLRR. They are located on the Santa Margarita Ranch, Pacific Coast Railroad. The one problem, though, is that it is a Private railroad and the only time you can go see them is when they they have their Roundup event in early may every year.

Some good news about them, though, is that they are each being fully restored to their original look. The Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad will be covered with boards to preserve the name and allow the Pacific Coast to label them.

• I'm Flying High

That's an amazing drawing! Great job!
    The daydream princess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast