Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• It's all about Theme!

Thumbs down Is it a go? [Another TSI Thread]

Is Pirate Island a go yet? I hope not!
    Last edited by Walt Jr.; 11-25-2006 at 05:09 PM.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Thurl,gone,not forgotten

Re: Is it a go? [Another TSA Thread]

Transportation Safety Administration

• It's all about Theme!

Re: Is it a go? [Another TSI Thread]

Why Did I Put TSA I ment TSI Tom Sayer Island! Oops!
    -August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

• Collision speed....FULL!

Yes

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Yes
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Walt Jr.; 11-26-2006 at 11:14 AM.
    -August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

• Jambo!

So far there has been no OFFICIAL word on this project. Simply rumor, and most rumors point that the Island would be ready for the Pirates 3 premiere, which unless they work really really fast, is almost impossible. Becuase it would involve draining the Rivers and shutting down the Mark Twain and Columbia not to mention shutting down Fantasmic for a very extended amount of time. Not to say it won't happen, just don't expect it any time soon.

• Circle of Ancients

yea i have not heard full confirmation of this...it probably won't happen... to many disney purists will fight and protest
    Angels Fan, born and raised.
    Come on you Galaxy.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelindude View Post
    yea i have not heard full confirmation of this...it probably won't happen... to many disney purists will fight and protest
    I don't know if I'd call myself a "purist," however, I have written a letter to Disney trying to discourage them from going through with the idea. Does that count as protesting? LOL

...Joe...

• Jambo!

Most would complain that this is the last "Land" Walt really had a part of, when it fact its far from what the original TSI was back then. Besides, TSI has been somewhat of a lackluster attraction for a while now. It draws crowds somewhat, but not an over abundance of people. But in the past we have seen Disney classics get replaced with more popular characters, such as Pooh replacing both the Country Bears at Disneyland and Mr. Toad at WDW. So anything can happen, but none of it will be anytime soon.

• It's all about Theme!

Sad Re: Is it a go? [Another TSA Thread]

The future actually is looking bad from Disneyland.com

The current refurbishment schedule says that Fantasmic! Will be closed for refurbishment in February. Nothing about anything else. Thats the good news. But, having Fantasmic under refurbishment listings instead of simply not showing up on the event list is bad news. It could possibly be that they would be tweaking everything so that it works with the Pirate layout. We shall have to wait.
    -August 1st 2010

-August 2nd 2010

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I thought most imagineers had ridiculed the idea to the point that the suit who brought it up quit and got a new job as assistant manager of the Glendale Galleria Quiznos.

Remember this link?

http://www.o-meon.com/pages/news%26features/n%26f_10-10-06.html

Among those interviewed for this article, none had any reservations about making over Tom Sawyer’s Island or any other Disneyland attraction. They all subscribe to the philosophy that Disneyland is not a museum, and that even Walt Disney wouldn’t think twice about replacing an underperforming attraction with something “new and exciting.” Even so, almost all of them had serious concerns about the possible impact of some of the proposed changes to the island playground.

Tom Sawyer’s Island is surrounded by what Disney calls “The Rivers of America,” a wide waterway bordered by Frontierland, New Orleans Square, and Critter Country, all firmly rooted within the continental United States. “What they’re proposing is bringing the Caribbean up out of the basement,” another Disney insider said.

The banks on either side of The Rivers of America are literally
    rooted in Midwestern foliage as opposed to the tropical Caribbean.
    All images ©copyright obe-mediaone.
    He was referring to the fact that the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction is actually outside the Disneyland Railroad berm, the traditional boundary of the park. To get from New Orleans Square to the Caribbean, guests depart a Louisiana bayou dock in flat boats that sail off the edge of a series of waterfalls, which lowers them some twenty feet below grade, before they drift out of the park and into Disney Caribbean waters. At the end of the ride, they float back under the berm and up another waterfall, which returns them to New Orleans Square.

“It isn’t just Tom Sawyer’s Island that would be affected by the change in theme and story,” another Imagineer said. “You’ve got all that Americana, like the Indian village, on the opposite bank of the river. What’s to become of that?”

Then there’s the matter of the two ships that sail The Rivers of America on a daily basis. A change in theme from Midwest American riverbank to Caribbean island won’t be that startling as the sailing ship Columbia circles the island; however, as one Imagineer put it, “What are guests going to think of the Mark Twain (a stern-wheel riverboat) gliding around a tropical island?”

When Al broke this story and the press grabbed a hold of it, the fit hit the shan. I think most of the Disney suits could not back off of the idea quickly enough because once it was brought out into daylight, the vast majority of people were asking "WHO was the moron who came up with THIS???"

I still think the idea is assinine, and if you want to read what has already been beaten into the ground, try:

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...t=39897&page=9

or

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...yer%27s+island

or the mother of them all....

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...yer%27s+island

It's not rocket science. It is, however, quite possibly the stupidest idea to ever to make it's way out of a Disney manager's cerebral cortex.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 11-26-2006 at 06:52 AM.

• n/a

I hope they spruce up Fantasmic while they're at it, still a great show, but the tech has improved over the last couple decades. And NEON... no longer cool.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• Collision speed....FULL!

I heard the changes are subtle. Just the theming, signs, props, and a few other things. I'm OK with it if they keep the mill out front the same and keep their hands off the Colombia.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    I still think the idea is assinine, and if you want to read what has already been beaten into the ground, try:

It's not rocket science. It is, however, quite possibly the stupidest idea to ever to make it's way out of a Disney manager's cerebral cortex.
    I whole-heartedly agree. I agree that if Tom Sawyer Island isn't doing good then they should totally do away it. However, they haven't given it a REAL chance. All they've done is do nothing but remove things from it, turn the fire off the cabin, etc. They haven't put any money into the Island to make it what it could be. Then, if after doing all that and the Island still lacks attendance by all means demolish everything and put something new on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    I'm OK with it if they keep the mill out front the same and keep their hands off the Colombia.
    I don't remember where I read on here, but I vaguely remember somebody posting about talks of them changing Colombia to Black Pearl and adding Jack Sparrow to F!. Personally, I think those ideas are as, if not more, assinine.

...Joe...
    Last edited by Quacky4Donald; 11-26-2006 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Typos

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Let me just say, I STRONGLY recommend you check out MiceAge Tuesday morning, as I have been told there will be new info regarding the Island.

Yes, changes are coming in early 2007, but due to the first MiceAge article and the LA Times, changes to the plans have been made....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast