Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Re: NO PHOTOS! EVAC stories..?

Pfffft! breakdown shmeakdown. I got your backstage pictures RIGHT HERE!!

Here's me and Tigerlily the day before Disneylands actual 50th when Splash broke down.

And here's some backstage for those inquiring minds.

We've been evac'd off Splash, POTC and Alice.

I think one of the reasons they don't want you taking pics is because guests aren't supposed to be backstage and they want you out of there ASAP. So that means "Be attentive and follow directions, NOW!" Two things you're not likely to do very well if you're dinkin' around takin' pics (like me).
    And yes, I did happen to slow down the evac a little while posing for that pic with Brer Rabbit, but hey, how often does something like THAT happen?
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Great evac photos!

I would suspect that part of the reason for no photos is for safety reasons. Once the cameras start snapping, then the CMs potentially lose control of the situation -- people stop walking, the group does not stay together and stragglers may linger. Also, I would think that some of those evacs require walks up stairways and other areas that might require the full attention of anyone walking around on them. It's an evacuation, not a tour

But of course the photos show that the policy (if it is official) is not enforced consistently.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

I think it's them trying to preserve the magic and the show. Backstage is something the guest isn't supposed to encounter. But for nuts like us, we thrive in those rare chances to see the nuts and bolts of one of our most favorite places in the world. I've been walked off of Space Mountain before, nothing fancy, but the group did get to see where the rockets sleep at night, and we were taken through a hallway with computers that were in charge of the images that were being showin in the attraction (like the spinning planets and stars on the big screen when you're in the loading area).

It's gotta be embarassing for Disney to have to take their guests out of the magic and back into reality when an attraction breaks down. Not only is asking to not take pictures likely a security precaution (like hollywood1939 mentioned), but it's also possibly out of embarassment.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by RangerSyl View Post
    Great evac photos!

I would suspect that part of the reason for no photos is for safety reasons. Once the cameras start snapping, then the CMs potentially lose control of the situation -- people stop walking, the group does not stay together and stragglers may linger. Also, I would think that some of those evacs require walks up stairways and other areas that might require the full attention of anyone walking around on them. It's an evacuation, not a tour

But of course the photos show that the policy (if it is official) is not enforced consistently.

Good points, off topic but welcome! And yay! Another MCer from Torrance!
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

We were evacuated once from (believe it or not) Pinnochio. It was kind of sad how everything looks once the effects are off and the lights come on. It looked worn down and pitiful. Now I wish I could be evacuated from HM, but then again it might ruin the ride a little afterwards if I saw it, so to speak, in the light of day.

It's bad enough that Disney allows guests to see the backstage areas during an evacuation. The company certainly doesn't want the show to be ruined for everyone else, too.

Something is irretrievably lost when one sees the wizard behind the curtain. And, I regret that people are publishing pictures and video on the Internet. Disney does not even allow employees to photograph backstage areas or the on-stage areas when there are no guests present.

Just think about Star Tours, for example. When the attraction opened, people were awe-struck by the experience. Then, after so many other places created attractions using similar ride systems without doing as much to conceal the magic trick, the popularity of Star Tours was adversely affected. Disney, itself, even allowed one of the production companies it was using for television specials to show the exterior of the Body Wars vehicles in motion once, and I knew, then, that the company had seriously lost its way.

Please preserve the efficacy of the illusions and the convincingness of the fiction. Disneyland has already lost so much of its magic. It doesn't need to be destroyed any further.

• AFI And MCR Fanatic

That is true, however, in modern times, many competitors are already aware of how many of the main Disney attractions function.

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Disneyland has already lost so much of its magic. It doesn't need to be destroyed any further.
    I think Disneyland only looses it's magic by those who let it. I for one am always interested in the backstage goings on, and it doesn't dull the magic for me, it only enhances it. Perhaps I am a lone case, but I still believe that part of that Disneyland magic is in the guest's heart and it is up to them to keep it there and thriving.
    Last edited by MissChristine; 11-27-2006 at 12:07 AM.

The reason Imagineering does not allow pictures to be taken of backstage or Mickey's decapitated head or the princesses smoking with the dwarfs is because Disney cares about the show, or, at least, the company used to.

Disney clearly does not want pictures to be taken. So, I would hope that guests would respect the wishes of the artists responsible for The Magic Kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Please preserve the efficacy of the illusions and the convincingness of the fiction. Disneyland has already lost so much of its magic. It doesn't need to be destroyed any further.
    OMG! I seriously doubt that seeing a few pics of Splash Mountain backstage is going to ruin anybodys "magic" here at MiceChat.

Let's not try and read too much into the psyche of Disneyland fans, shall we?

If you've read this far into the thread, it's because you have a curiousity of what goes on backstage. If you've read this far and your "magic" has been diminished, it's your own fault for reading this thread.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    OMG! I seriously doubt that seeing a few pics of Splash Mountain backstage is going to ruin anybodys "magic" here at MiceChat.

Let's not try and read too much into the psyche of Disneyland fans, shall we?

If you've read this far into the thread, it's because you have a curiousity of what goes on backstage. If you've read this far and your "magic" has been diminished, it's your own fault for reading this thread.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    I second that.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

On the topic of seeing Disneyland's backstage areas, maybe my attitude would be different because I saw them every day, at times, for the better part of eight years.

There really isn't that much to see! As SCUbabe posted earlier, most of what you will see is rather dirty and somewhat broken down, and unremarkable...unless you like seeing a lot of empty milk crates, and smelly dumpsters, and more than a few nondescript buildings and break areas.

While watching the USC-Notre Dame game last night, I flashed back to a day 32 years ago not long after I first started working there. I was taking a lunch break in the Inn Between (employee cafeteria back of the PI) watching USC's miraculous 49-point second half (the 55-24 game) when I saw Snow White come in, cig in hand, making her way to a table with Alice, Goofy and Mickey (be-headed) also smoking, and she said...Can you believe this game? And I think it was Goofy who said...and I had money on the Irish...

True story. The backstage "magic".

-- Barry

PS...Since it was built on "backstage" area at the time, I got to see much of the Space Mountain coaster built almost from the ground up before it was enclosed. Now that was interesting.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

I guess there are two kinds of guest; those who close their eyes and ears at any back stage info as it ruins the illusion for them and those who are facinated about it, but still have imagination enough to make the illusion work on stage. It's all in your head after all.

I think the answer that makes the most sense is that of RangerSyl who said that guests busy photographing stuff my lose attention for dangers or slow the evac down. Makes sense but I bet there's a lot of security CMs who don't know that reason behind the rule.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Radiobarry View Post
    ...I was taking a lunch break in the Inn Between (employee cafeteria back of the PI) watching USC's miraculous 49-point second half (the 55-24 game) when I saw Snow White come in, cig in hand, making her way to a table with Alice, Goofy and Mickey (be-headed) also smoking, and she said...Can you believe this game? And I think it was Goofy who said...and I had money on the Irish...

True story. The backstage "magic".
    Classic.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast