Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

PHOTO UPDATE 11/24-25: Year of a Million Merchandise Opportunities- TONS of new merch

Driving from Bakersfield, we usually stay the night if we're planning on visiting Disneyland two days in a row. But sometimes we just can't get enough, and after driving home, we can't resist driving back down the next day.

peoplemover1 and I took a couple trips to Disneyland this holiday weekend and experienced Disneyland after dark in all of it's holiday finest. Who cares about the cost of gas, traffic, and holiday crowds? There's never a bad day at Disneyland

Since we got to the Resort both days after dark, I didn't really have many options when it came to pictures for a photo update. It is simply far too dark to take pictures of the Tomorrowland construction or Midway Mania. So, instead this update is full of all of the new merch and collectibles Disney has released for the holidays and for the Year of a Million Dreams and "Where Dreams Come True" campaign.

So if you still haven't given your loved ones your holiday wishlist it might be time to take some notes, print some of these photos, and let them know exactly what you want for Christmas.

Be warned- there are a LOT of photos here!

Enjoy!

WELCOME TO DISNEYLAND!
    The Harbor Blvd archway has been completed. The confetti is history, and we now have silhouetted Disney characters and the swirly lines to match the rest of the Year of a Million Dreams stuff:

They've also added the "Where Dreams Come True"/Year of a Million Dreams petals on each side of the entrance:

New "Where Dreams Come True"/Year of a Million Dreams petal-shaped banners have been added to the turnstiles at both parks:

Early set-up/prep for the Candlelight processional?

YEAR OF A MILLION MERCHANDISE OPPORTUNITIES
    The big Castle snowglobe in the Emporium (and the one in World of Disney) has been re-dressed for the Holidays:

Here's a look at a LOT of the new merchandise offerings Disney has rolled out:

These two images are the SAME toy truck. Can't even make seperate toys for the Resorts. Sad.

A new Las Vegas-themed line of merch has been released....

New Daisy display in the Candy Palace has been re-dressed for the holidays:

Some new boxed candy offerings:

The "Disneyland: Then, Now, & Forever" book has just gotten a new dust jacket so it doesn't look like leftover 50th stuff (that is, until you open it).

Whoever designed the cover art for the "Remember the Moments - A Magical Souviner" merch needs to get a new job. It makes the stuff look entirely unappealing and ugly. This is the new 2-Disc CD collection, and I had planned on shelling out the $25 for the set, even though I have all the music (or at least most of it), but after seeing the ugly art work, I decided against it. As a graphic artist, I just couldn't do it.

COLLECTIBLES & ART
    A couple new Christopher Radko ornaments:

New limited edition (500) Shag Pirates of the Caribbean figurine:

A really neat new Black Pearl sculpture has been released. I believe its $199, but the detailing is amazing.

A look at some of the Black Pearl's detail:
    A cursed, skeletal crew member gazes up at the ship:

The new Dave Avanzino New Orleans Square shadowboxes have been released. They run $75/ea.

The DisneyShopping.com window over between the Bank of Main Street and the Opera House has been switched out for the holiday merch. Funny, I could have sworn the internet didn't exist at the turn of the century.

DISNEYLAND AFTER DARK
    And a few shots of Disneyland After Dark...

Hope you enjoyed the update

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Shablagoo!

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 11/24-25: Year of a Million Merchandise Opportunities- TONS of new m

MAster Gracey, that pic in the teacups as the fireworks go off is amazing. Thanks for the update. Tell Peoplemover1 I said hi.

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 11/24-25: Year of a Million Merchandise Opportunities- TONS of new m

Wow, the teacups one is amazing!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Fabulous report, as usual! You do have a tendancy to take stunning photos.

First off, I need that license plate holder, I think it's gorgeous.

However, slight gripe with one of the items. Why is it that on the shirt with Mickey, Goofy, and Donald riding in a teacup, that they used an image from the attraction at Walt Disney World, and yet label it with Disneyland. I just don't understand.

Makes me sad.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MissChristine View Post
    Fabulous report, as usual! You do have a tendancy to take stunning photos.

First off, I need that license plate holder, I think it's gorgeous.

However, slight gripe with one of the items. Why is it that on the shirt with Mickey, Goofy, and Donald riding in a teacup, that they used an image from the attraction at Walt Disney World, and yet label it with Disneyland. I just don't understand.

Makes me sad.
    Thank you.

All of those new shirts are copies of designs that they've now got over at Walt Disney World as well. They've only swapped out the necessary - for instance, Walt Disney World's stuff doesnt have Sleeping Beauty Castle, but Cinderella Castle. They must've thought nobody would notice the teacups image.

Oh well, I didn't like any of those new shirt designs. All of them have added extras that are completely unnecessary. That shirt with the teacups, for example, the black parts of the Characters' faces is fuzzy. The Castle shirt with Tink features glittery fireworks - and yes, I believe there's even sparkly glitter on the black MEN'S version, as well as the colorful women's version.

Why? Why can't we just get simple, well-designed merch? Why does Disney always have to take it too far? I don't want an obnoxious shirt! Just a simple, tasteful design, please!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

One of these days, when you're on the design team for their merchandise, then and only then will we have what the public wants and truly deserves. Disneyland merchandise simplicity.

• Banned User

I like the glitter and such, but I think you can have both, A simple t-shirt with a picture like they used to have with the characters and the fancy ones as well. That way everyone is covered.

oh yeah, i noticed the WDW tea cup shirt imediately also.

embarrassing.

but i did see many cool things that should be under the tree soon...as soon as the 40% holiday discount kicks in.

thanks for the great holiday pictures. too bad they aren't on a t-shirt!

I'm not sure about the tickets at DLR, but when I went to WDW in October, those were all designs on the tickets to get into the parks.

I think I gt all of those as designs on my tickets except for the Incredibles one, and the Pirates one. On the ticket, the "Where Happily Ever After" one only had Cinderella and Prince Charming meeting near Cinderella Castle.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

I LOVE that tea cups shot!! Thanks for the photo update, as always it was great.

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Wonderful photos!
    And I think I want almost everything pictured.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• A Pirate's life for me!

Awesome photo's!

Thanks for the report!

Great photos! Thanks!

Now just to be nit-picky (and I know a pet peeve of many long-time Disney artists)...but...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    ...there was a time when you weren't supposed to use the "Pie-Eyed" Mickey on Disneyland logo'd merchandise. You could use it alone or as part of other generic Mickey merchandise where 1920's-1930's "vintage" characters were the thing...but you weren't supposed to use it in conjunction with Disneyland the Park merchandise. Pieces have always slipped through over the years. But they weren't really supposed to have been allowed under the old policies that put importance on such little details.

Just last week I was at the Park with two rather well-known Disney artists that have worked in both animation and consumer products...and they were bemoaning the increasing use of pie-eye Mickey in the wrong places and said that this is an example of something they hope John Lasseter gets the lid back on. They seem to think it's a result of a lot of new-hire Production Designers in Florida (where most of the Park merchandise is designed) that just don't know any better or think the old rules are silly.

But Thanks again for documenting the new merchandise. And love the tea cup photo!

• Banned User

Awesome photos, my friend!

• Banned User

Great photos.. I cannot believe you didn't pay $25 for the Full SpaceMountain audio... Lift, Attraction, and Ending!

I will!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast