Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Angry Rudeness on the rise at the Disneyland Resort

On Sunday I was at the park with my family and although most of the day was great there were still some incidents where even the Hulk would have had a hard time keeping his temper in check.

While watching the Christmas Parade near the Castle, my fiance and I were right up front where the ropes were and were enjoying ourselves untill this family came up with two older kids, probably about 8 or 9 years old. The two boys were whining non-stop about the "stupid parade" and how they wanted to go on rides instead. The mother, oblivious to the whining of her kids, just kept watchning the show. Once the kids realized their whining wasn't going to work they started playing on the ropes. The same ropes that were constantly smacking me in the leg and crotch region. After a few minutes of this abuse I turned to the kids and told them to "please stop playing on the ropes. The ropes are hitting me and I don't appreciate that". The kids stopped and the mom looked at me like I just called their precious little ones some god awful name. Luckily they walked away. But that was only the beginning.

Later on that evening we rode on Pirates and were seated in between two different groups of people on the boat. In the front two rows were these tourists who were using their videocamera WITH THE LIGHT ON. They did this for most of the ride untill someone up in the control tower finally came on the PA about the time it reached the burning city scene and told them to turn it off. Behind us were the local teenie boppers who were "singing" most of the time, being the usual obnoxious teens that think they are the funniest people on the planet. Not a fun ride at all.

We had a great spot for the fireworks, right in the middle of Main Street just up the street from Coke Corner and the photo shop. I had brought my camera and was videotaping the show and it came out very well except towards the end. The snow started falling and it looked so real from where we were standing, with the lights and stuff that I kept on videotaping. It was going great untill about 2 minutes into the snowfall that some people who were further up near the hub started the stampede down the street. So here I am, my back turned to this mob of eager to exit the park people while I'm getting some great shots and wham, someone bumps into me, them wham, another, and then another. Some of these people were not in the mood to enjoy the snow and wanted to get out of the park. I understand that. But if you see alot of people standing around in the middle of Main Street, looking up and enjoying the snow, why would you need to be such a rude punk and start pushing and bumping into me when you see that not only amd I enjoying myself but also videotaping it. After the 4th bump I stopped and got out of the way. The snow finale was ruined and I would have to do it again on another less crowded night.

Anyways, like I said....most of the day was fun and great. Just these three little incidents kinda put a small damper on the day though.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Re: Rudeness on the rise at the Disneyland Resort

You know i bet they're going to blame video games or tv or the communists. But honestly..someone needs to yell at the parents.

• Former Epcot CM

Sigh.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Sadly, it's not just at Disneyland Resort - it's everywhere. In this "ME ME ME" generation in our society, people don't care about anyone but themselves anymore.

If those were my kids, I'd have made them stand there at attention. Like my father taught us, you have a certain decorum in certain areas. If you are in a restaurant, you don't act like some maniac - you sit and sit nicely and eat your food and do not yell. Some parents think that is harsh because they are 'just kids' but it has to start somewhere. If you don't teach them, how are they going to know?

You are quite right in the rudeness you were victim too - and beware - it's not just in Disneyland - it's an epidemic and it's everywhere....

• Banned User

it was the video game in the car with the candle stick...
    sorry. thought we were playing clue.

some people need to control there situations... other things are impassable...

And don't forget... damn the teenagers!

Seroiously, this is a generational thing. EVERY generation remembers that they were wonderful as children but now everything is going to hell. These whipper-snappers these days. It's perspective, not necessarily rudeness on the rise.

• White and Nerdy

Maybe we should start a 'Disneyland etiquette' thread.

There are things I have done before that some considered rude. Problem was, I didn't quite get that I was being rude at the time, and so I had someone be rude right back to me. Patience on everyone's behalf could work wonders in those tense situations.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoofBall View Post
    Maybe we should start a 'Disneyland etiquette' thread.

There are things I have done before that some considered rude. Problem was, I didn't quite get that I was being rude at the time, and so I had someone be rude right back to me. Patience on everyone's behalf could work wonders in those tense situations.
    But those parents should have been watching their kids more intently and kept them from getting unruly. I have probably been unknowingly rude too, but it was not my intention - you know?

Just my thoughts....

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    Sadly, it's not just at Disneyland Resort - it's everywhere. In this "ME ME ME" generation in our society, people don't care about anyone but themselves anymore.

If those were my kids, I'd have made them stand there at attention. Like my father taught us, you have a certain decorum in certain areas. If you are in a restaurant, you don't act like some maniac - you sit and sit nicely and eat your food and do not yell. Some parents think that is harsh because they are 'just kids' but it has to start somewhere. If you don't teach them, how are they going to know?

You are quite right in the rudeness you were victim too - and beware - it's not just in Disneyland - it's an epidemic and it's everywhere....
    Soooo true. I think you've got it exactly right.

Some parents are more concerned with being their childs "friend" and not a parent. Afraid if they disipline the kids it will hurt their self esteem and ego.

No whats going to hurt their precious self esteem and ego is when they grow up and join the real world and have never learned manners, and the real world takes them down a notch or two..

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Feeling LOVED

I hear ya.....we waited an hour and half the other night to watch the fireworks, we had the video camera set on the tripod and my camera on the tripod we had a fantastic shot of everything right in front of the castle. People kept filling in the empty space and kept mind of the camera equipment making sure they werent blocking the way. About 5 minutes a family came and stood right in front of my camera and then proceeded to put his son on his shoulders. Now ...I wouldn't have minded any other time, but the crazy thing was it wasn't too busy and there was plenty of room on the side of the camera. I asked them if they would move to the side and they did. Once the fireworks started they stood right back in front of my camera and put the kid back on his dad's shoulders.....Ugh....I finally got mad and they noticed this and moved...but wow...some people just don't get it. It seems to be getting worse....what happened to common courtesy?

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Thank you Penguinsoda.!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy

CoughCoughBlackFridayCoughCough

• White and Nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post
    Soooo true. I think you've got it exactly right.

Some parents are more concerned with being their childs "friend" and not a parent. Afraid if they disipline the kids it will hurt their self esteem and ego.

No whats going to hurt their precious self esteem and ego is when they grow up and join the real world and have never learned manners, and the real world takes them down a notch or two..
    I completely agree that kids need to held to a higher standard when out in public and especially in crowds. Those parents should have been ashamed of the way those kids were acting. I would never stand for my 4 kids to act like that.

I have been guilty of using a camcorder on POTC. While going through a darker part of the ride, a kind man tapped me on the shoulder and asked me nicely to turn it off during the darker parts of the ride. I appreciated that. I probably wouldn't have appreciated it if he would have sneered at me and said something under his breath.

To contrast this, I was once saving some places for my kids for one of the parades. They left to go do a little shopping as the parade wasn't going to start for a half an hour. After ten minutes, I had a completely irate mother yell at me for saving seats. She ruined my day, and I reacted badly back.

Looking back, I shouldn't have saved the seats for my kids. They should have stayed. But, man, that rude woman ruined my day at the happiest place on earth.

• Minion

Another incident I forgot to mention was while we were at the Big Thunder Ranch and were taking pictures with some of the characters. We waited patiently for Chip and Dale to be free for a photo and my fiance was standing with them and just as I am about to take the picture this family shoves their kids right in front of her and Chip and Dale and the kids were hounding them for autographs. I spoke up and told them I was trying to take a picture and luckily Chip and Dale sorta ignored them and finally the parents saw that I was trying to take the picture and moved their kids out of the way. Some people just don't open their eyes and realize that the park isn't there just for their own personal use.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Ok, I think we all need to lighten up a bit when we go to Disneyland. Please remember we are at DISNEYLAND -- not at the Walt Disney Concert Hall! Kids are going to be kids and we have to expect that they are going to act in certain ways, especially when they are excited about being there. (This can go for adults too, sometimes if they are excited or distracted).

If someone is bothering you, just be polite about it when asking them to stop. A person can be rude sometimes when asking someone to stop, and then that begs the question: Just who is the child here?

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast