View Poll Results: Do you feel the "magic" is ruined by seeing backstage and exclusive location photos.

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I feel the "magic" is ruined when I see pics that Disney wants kept secret

9 9.28%
  • No, I like seeing the stuff behind the scenes and the exclusive photos too.

84 86.60%
  • I'm indifferent about the subject. Where can I get a churro around here?

4 4.12%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Poll-Do backstage/Disneyland "exclusive" location photos ruin the "magic" for you

Just like a concert or any stage production - it's interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes.

Re: Poll-Do backstage/Disneyland "exclusive" location photos ruin the "magic" for you

Perhaps, Disney should start taking guests on tours backstage,... God forbid.

Here, ladies and gentleman, you'll see Disneyland's wondrous semi-trucks. And, over there, you'll find our colorful Teamsters with their equally colorful language. In this corner is the backside of It's a Small World where you can see Toontown is nothing but painted flats. And, if you look closely, you can make out the magical world of illegal immigrants. You'll be amazed by the beautiful show buildings housing Indiana Jones Adventure, The Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Caribbean. And, you'll love the smell of a septic system that can handle tens of thousands of people squeezed into a few acres. Even better is the smell of our glorious trash compactors. Be sure to say "Hello" to the man who plays the Queen of Hearts on-stage or "Hi" to the Prince Charmings that are happier prancing with each other than with their princesses. How charming!

Look! Here comes a half-dressed cast member, now, who's late for work. And, over there you'll see all of the smokers lounging around in costume and talking about how they hate their jobs. There, ladies and gentleman, is a real-life Disney manager walking an employee to the gate after being fired. And, on your other side is the Disney "jail" where we send all of our lovely shoplifters.

Oh, what a magical world! Disney should charge admission.

• Banned User

It ruins the magic. I never knew that the mark twain was on a track and that the rivers of america is only about 15 feet deep when i saw photos on here.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • isn't an elitist

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post

Here, ladies and gentleman, you'll see Disneyland's wondrous semi-trucks. And, over there, you'll find our colorful Teamsters with their equally colorful language. In this corner is the backside of It's a Small World where you can see Toontown is nothing but painted flats. And, if you look closely, you can make out the magical world of illegal immigrants. You'll be amazed by the beautiful show buildings housing Indiana Jones Adventure, The Haunted Mansion, and Pirates of the Caribbean. And, you'll love the smell of a septic system that can handle tens of thousands of people squeezed into a few acres. Even better is the smell of our glorious trash compactors. Be sure to say "Hello" to the man who plays the Queen of Hearts on-stage or "Hi" to the Prince Charmings that are happier prancing with each other than with their princesses. How charming!

Look! Here comes a half-dressed cast member, now, who's late for work. And, over there you'll see all of the smokers lounging around in costume and talking about how they hate their jobs. There, ladies and gentleman, is a real-life Disney manager walking an employee to the gate after being fired. And, on your other side is the Disney "jail" where we send all of our lovely shoplifters.

Oh, what a magical world! Disney should charge admission.
    I think you are missing the point. It's more of, by the chance that someone gets a chance to take pictures, would you look at them. It's not like someone is taping all of backstage. If they let guests wander around backstage then it wouldn't be as exciting. It's the fact that it's something we don't get to see everyday.
    -Jack
    Doc Brown had 2 Deloreans!

No one is forcing me to read the posts that contain pictures of the things that I do not want to see, so if I choose to look at them then I am the only one who is ruining any perception of magic. I generally pass on the backstage videos, I don't really find that kind of thing interesting, but if there was a Disney sanctioned tour of lesser known places or formerly private places I might be interested in that. I just don't know how much is left that hasn't been seen except trash compactors and whatnot and that I really don't need to see.

For me it just makes the magic greater. It is amazing what they fit between Main Street and the Jungle Cruise! I love it!

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

Bring on the backstage pictures! Backstage is a part of the magic, not something that's to be ashamed of and left behind and ignored completely in the concern that it will *gasp* ruin the show and drain away any Disney magic that it had left in it!

Spoiler tags would be nice.

Even nicer would be people respecting Disney's requests to not photograph backstage or publish any such pictures on the Internet.

Incidentally, while showmanship is my main concern, Disney is probably also interested in the prospect of terrorist attacks that are based on pictures of certain facilities. Many establishments prohibit photography for that reason.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    It ruins the magic. I never knew that the mark twain was on a track and that the rivers of america is only about 15 feet deep when i saw photos on here.
    Did you think you were sailing on the REAL Rivers of America? If you ever fell off the Mark Twain, you would know how deep it is
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Why do you keep talking?

I'm a bigger fan of what happens behind the "magic" then train conductor's wearing short sleeve shirts.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

Club 33, Walt Disney's apartment, and the "Lilly Belle" are great. Backstage is a cesspool.

Disney doesn't care about pictures that are taken in any of the former places, but the company does care about images captured of the latter. So, by the way that the question is worded, my answer would have to be "no" since the original poster does not distinguish between backstage and on-stage pictures.

Pictures of backstage definitely do detract from the magic of The Magic Kingdom, however; the artists responsible for the place never intended views of these areas to be available to the public. And, the fewer people that are forced to see them, the better the situation will be.
    Well, maybe that means they should take a little better care of the backstage areas. The guests may only end up back there once in a blue moon, but the CM's have to hang around back there for a significant part of each workday. And how can you expect them to be "Bright Smiling and Chipper for the Guests while On Stage" when their breakrooms, restrooms, and other 'hidden' Backstage areas look and smell like a cesspool?

Keep them patched and painted, get working AC microwaves and refrigerators in all the break areas. Keep the trash swept up and do some serious odor control around the trash areas. Have Custodial there with the steam pressure washers to clean up underneath weekly (or as needed) while the disposal company has the big Compactor Rollaway Bins pulled out to empty them.

If they would be ashamed to have a Guest see them in that condition, why should the front-line CM's be treated any different? Duh!

<Big Snip> Oh, what a magical world! Disney should charge admission.
    They DID run Backstage Tours at WDW, through controlled areas and at controlled times. And they charged a healthy chunk for the priveledge. As long as the Characters aren't running around 'breaking character' in those areas it's a non-issue, and could be very educational to people who have more than a passing interest in how they "do that thing they do."

And the Face Characters and Rubberheads shouldn't be breaking character except in their designated break rooms, or they should look around to see who is watching before they do, use a little common sense. It is rare, but Guests are brought backstage, and big groups are back there whenever a ride is evacuated. And they know it.
    Quote Originally Posted by barfownz View Post
    Not a dark secret - the only thing dark about it is the dye they add to the water so you can't see how shallow it really is. Matter of fact, it's only deep at the center where the track is, so the river will drain properly when they pull the plug - Most of the river is only 3 to 5 feet deep.

And they really have to use a track for guiding the big boats - it's a LOT of work running a large craft free like that in such a confined space - Tugboats or thrusters would be required, along with highly trained people to run them. With the guide tracks, they just need to have the Captain watching for obstacles, so he can call for 'stop engines' if a TSI raft stalls and can't get out of the way.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Closed Account

Remember that old Fox show with the "masked magician" who explained, in detail, how all the great magic tricks are performed? I found that show absolutely FASCINATING. Magicians, on the other hand...not so much. In fact, several were fairly vocal about a magician breaking the cardinal rule about never exposing a magic secret.

To me, however, seeing how the trick worked didn't ruin the "magic" at all. It actually made it more intense. Seeing the thought, cleverness and ingenuity behind how some tricks are perfomed made them seem all the more amazing.

Anyway, I look at backstage along those lines. Seeing how the trick is perfomed makes me respect the magician all the more. I'm not saying I want to watch a trash compactor in action, but I definitely do appreciate getting a peek up the magician's sleeve.

I haven't spent as much time backstage as others...only a few times, and most of that time was spent in the roundhouse. For me, seeing how the steam trains of the Disneyland Railroad are maintained and serviced didn't ruin any magic. For many train fans, myself included, a roundhouse is actually the place where the magic happens!

So no, I don't believe the occasional peeks we get here and elsewhere ruin the magic, and I always look forward to seeing more of how the place works.

• World Traveler

I love all that backstage and member only stuff. I loved going on the backstage magic tour at WDW a few months ago.

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I haven't spent as much time backstage as others...only a few times, and most of that time was spent in the roundhouse. For me, seeing how the steam trains of the Disneyland Railroad are maintained and serviced didn't ruin any magic. For many train fans, myself included, a roundhouse is actually the place where the magic happens!
    I couldn't agree more. I'd love to visit the roundhouse in the morning when the Disneyland railroad is starting their "steam up"!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 10-14-2010, 07:53 PM