Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• As I said, persuade me.

Exclamation The Red Head painting in POTC

Alright folks, I need to find all the information I can for some research I am doing about the red head painting in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland... anyone know the real title of it and who was the actual painter? I used to have his name, but misplaced it.

Also I am trying to find prints of it. I know they don't make it, but maybe unofficially someone does.

Curious,
    the sanguine poppet

• no flash photography...

Re: The Red Head painting in POTC

marc davis
    portrait of things to come

thank you so much!

• Neep meep beep

Do you mean this painting?

That's original art by one of the imagineers, Marc Davis. As tellnotales.com uh, "tells it":

"Adorning the Disneyland "Crew's Quarters" is an original work by Marc Davis... and in fact, Davis' original painting has hung inside the attraction for years. It pictures a lusty redhead wielding a pirate's blade, drinking nectar supplied by a cherub with a devilish grin. This may be an instance of clever foreshadowing.

Some have suggested the painting represents the redhead we will meet later in the attraction after her abduction by the pirates... but who knows?"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post

That's original art by one of the imagineers, Marc Davis. As tellnotales.com uh, "tells it":

"Adorning the Disneyland "Crew's Quarters" is an original work by Marc Davis... and in fact, Davis' original painting has hung inside the attraction for years. It pictures a lusty redhead wielding a pirate's blade, drinking nectar supplied by a cherub with a devilish grin. "
    In the attraction, the pirates say "We want the redhead"

In the portrait, you can bet the seagulls are saying "Mine, Mine, Mine"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Alice Davis might be able to confirm whether they are the same redhead.

I'd hit it.
    Disneyland Passholder Since The Dawn of Annual Passes.
    SHRIMPBOATCAPTAIN on vmk

....k.

• It's all about Theme!

Yes! Notice, the family show aspect. See what the hair is covering.

Yes it is quite a family friendly ride.

Yes, A little light humor.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

I really do wish they would release a litho of this painting. I would pick one up in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    In the attraction, the pirates say "We want the redhead"

In the portrait, you can bet the seagulls are saying "Mine, Mine, Mine"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Alice Davis might be able to confirm whether they are the same redhead.

AHAHHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    I really do wish they would release a litho of this painting. I would pick one up in a heartbeat.

I know, we all would

• Head Postmaster of Random

In a lay-z boy licking stamps and slaping minions...

lol i love that picture...

its a beautiful piece of art...really
    "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
    "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
    "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money.
    If you won the lottery what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

It pictures a lusty redhead wielding a pirate's blade, drinking nectar supplied by a cherub with a devilish grin. This may be an instance of clever foreshadowing.
    Oh, those naughty Imagineers!

Here's another famous naughty one by Disney Legend Herb Ryman, titled "New Orleans Square Candy Shop."

In addition to Herbie's trademark nuns that he loved to populate his NOS art with...on this one he deliberately slipped a trio of "working girls" out on the balcony of Club 33, as seen in the upper right of this painting. His fellow Imagineers seeing this, would rib him asking, "Just what kind of Club do you think that's going to be?!" Some fellow Imagineer admirers of Herbie's unofficially re-named this piece: "Candy Is Dandy, But Sex Won't Rot Your Teeth."

One has to keep in mind that much of this inspirational and/or concept art was never really intended to be publicly displayed and was mainly for internal use only. But much of it did get used and subsequently displayed many decades later.

Also in this painting in the bottom right, you'll see a beret-wearing gentleman artist with a sketchpad. That's Disney Imagineer Colin Campbell (who coincidently was the one that painted the harpsichord lid up in Club 33) appearing just as he did in almost every Herbie piece of art about New Orleans Square...as an "inside joke." Apparently Colin had gone off to France to get some formal hotsy-totsy art training or something...and when he returned Herbie thought he was being a bit too boastful about all he learned. So Herbie put him in almost all of his NOS paintings as a poor street artist often selling his "works" for 5 cents apiece, as a good natured little poking of fun at Colin. Look closely at all Herb's NOS works and you'll spot Colin as an artist in a beret!

Many of Herb Ryman's original signed drawings, watercolors, and paintings...were sold to the public when the Disney Gallery first opened. Including this famous and beautiful Candy Shop one. First in line on Opening Day of the Disney Gallery was former Imagineer and then owner of Landmark Entertainment...Gary Goddard...a huge Herb Ryman fan. When the doors opened he rushed in and purchased many of the multi-thousand dollar Herbie originals being offered for sale...and this one was the first one he headed to grab.

Given a better place in line that day...that baby would be hanging in my den right now.

(At one point this naughty Herbie was part of the Art-On-Demand system. Don't know if it still is though. They also had postcards of it when the Disney Gallery first opened.)
    Last edited by Opus1guy; 02-06-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Talking Re: The Red Head painting in POTC

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Oh, those naughty Imagineers!

Here's another famous naughty one by Disney Legend Herb Ryman, titled "New Orleans Square Candy Shop."

In addition to Herbie's trademark nuns that he loved to populate his NOS art with...on this one he deliberately slipped a trio of "working girls" out on the balcony of Club 33, as seen in the upper right of this painting. His fellow Imagineers seeing this, would rib him asking, "Just what kind of Club do you think that's going to be?!" Some fellow Imagineer admirers of Herbie's unofficially re-named this piece: "Candy Is Dandy, But Sex Won't Rot Your Teeth."

One has to keep in mind that much of this inspirational and/or concept art was never really intended to be publicly displayed and was mainly for internal use only. But much of it did get used and subsequently displayed many decades later.

Also in this painting in the bottom right, you'll see a beret-wearing gentleman artist with a sketchpad. That's Disney Imagineer Colin Campbell (who coincidently was the one that painted the harpsichord lid up in Club 33) appearing just as he did in almost every Herbie piece of art about New Orleans Square...as an "inside joke." Apparently Colin had gone of to France to get some formal hotsy-totsy art training or something...and when he returned Herbie thought he was being a bit too boastful about all he learned. So Herbie put him in almost all of his NOS paintings as a poor street artist often selling his "works" for 5 cents apiece, as a good natured little poking of fun at Colin. Look closely at all Herb's NOS works and you'll spot Colin as an artist in a beret!

Many of Herb Ryman's original signed drawings, watercolors, and paintings...were sold to the public when the Disney Gallery first opened. Including this famous and beautiful Candy Shop one. First in line on Opening Day of the Disney Gallery was former Imagineer and then owner of Landmark Entertainment...Gary Goddard...a huge Herb Ryman fan. When the doors opened he rushed in and purchased many of the multi-thousand dollar Herbie originals being offered for sale...and this one was the first one he headed to grab.

Given a better place in line that day...that baby would be hanging in my den right now.

(At one point this naughty Herbie was part of the Art-On-Demand system. Don't know if it still is though. They also had postcards of it when the Disney Gallery first opened.)
    Collin Campbell is also the person who did all the artwork in the Haunted Mansion record with Ron Howard!

Hey! I did it! I found a big enough picture to create my version of Marc Davis' painting!

My verison can be found here on my deviantart page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast