169. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Lasseter: $700 million should do the trick

152 89.94%
  • Tony Baxters Downtown DCA

17 10.06%
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• out & about

DCA: The $700 million question?

Lets talk more about the ideas surrounding DCA. Al metioned two different sides to the delima. One invloves Lasseter wanting to push $700 million into the park to raise its standard. The other is a surprising "outside-the-box" idea by Baxter that would annex DCA into DTD.

Theres potential on both sides of this debate. Who do you support? what do you think is the best idea and why?
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

Re: DCA: The $700 million question?

Aside from the new hotel idea, Tony Baxter's ideas are stupid.

• The one, the only...

I would not say that Tony's ideas are stupid, but they do not produce the true immersive experience that a Disney park should have.

I think that John's idea of setting a specific time and place to DCA was the right way to go. I believe from a guest standpoint, the opportunities to delight and provide a diverting experience far exceed the experience of a "super" shopping mall experience.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

As I read Al's report on the subject, I actually felt sick to my stomach. $700 mil all the way!

• out & about

but they made some good points about other shopping destinations that are close by being better than DTD. as of now DTD is just ok. its not a place i would go if i wasnt alrady there to go to DL. DCA, while not a spectacular park would make for a great extention of the shopping/dining/entertainment experience.

if this happened i would like to see more property around DLR bought/used for another park that would be built properly.

WplusK.com

• Grumpy old man

I give Baxter huge kudos for thinking outside the box while not sounding completely insane. His idea does sound interesting, very Santa Cruz Boardwalk, which is very Californian in itself. But I much prefer Lasseter's willingness to spend some serious cash on fixing DCA completely. I do hope he takes some of Baxter's ideas and make everyone happy.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Brain Toad View Post
    I give Baxter huge kudos for thinking outside the box while not sounding completely insane. His idea does sound interesting, very Santa Cruz Boardwalk, which is very Californian in itself. But I much prefer Lasseter's willingness to spend some serious cash on fixing DCA completely. I do hope he takes some of Baxter's ideas and make everyone happy.
    I agree. I was actually happy that there were all these ideas being considered for DCA. The Baxter idea is also ver reminicent of how Disneyland used to be like though I don't think DCA would last too long in that type of environment. The desire for Imagineering to expand and build more E-Tickets would literally vanish if the area was to become a fancy outdoor shopping mall.

There's so many great attractions yet to be made and DCA has the room to grow. I back Lasseter's decision to keep it a seperate park and TRY to make it work.

DCA has very few GREAT rides, but they are indeed Great. That's proof enough for me that it can be done.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

They aren't mutually-exclusive. I wrote a piece, which MerlinJones published on the Save Disney Web-site a few years ago, that advocated lowering the price of admission to D.C.A. in relationship to that of Disneyland, and I've also long supported the idea of incorporating pay-per-play options into the pricing policy for both parks.

Tony Baxter just goes to the extreme of lowering the price of D.C.A. admission to absolutely nothing, which is not the best way of rationing the park's capacity. The advantages to doing so, though, are that guests would not have to deal with the main gate and that guests could gain access to hotels that lie on the other side of the property. Free admission for everyone, though, is not necessary to accomplishing these objectives.

The main gate problems can be addressed in other ways, and the hotels should incorporate free admission to D.C.A. into the price of each room so that guests can reach the Main Entry Plaza by traveling through the park during their stays.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 11-29-2006 at 01:26 AM.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Baxter's "Ideas" are stuck in the 1980s. Timeshare condos, and an outdoor shopping center with a few "Attractions". Orange County doesn't need another Irvine Spectrum or The Block. Does anyone seriously want to tear out the Animation Building so we can have more stores like Vault 28?

Baxter's idea smacks of hatred for the work of other Imagineers. Seems spiteful and punitive toward the folks that designed DCA. Almost as if to say Baxter finds DCA SO HORRIBLE the only thing his "Great Mind" can think of to do with it is turn it into a strip mall. Some Imagineering Tony. You'd ruin Disneyland's second gate rather than try and improve it. Baxter is a hack and his glory days of stripping the great works of other imagineers out of the park should finally be brought to an end. Give him a window on Main St. and retire him, he's Disney of the past, one of the Imagineers who brought you the pathetic, rundown Tomorrowland of today that Lassiter is cleaning up now.

I say let Lassiter try his hand at fixing DCA.

Disneyland Is Not A Museum. It's Not An Outdoor Mall Either.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati View Post
    Baxter's "Ideas" are stuck in the 1980s. Timeshare condos, and an outdoor shopping center with a few "Attractions". Orange County doesn't need another Irvine Spectrum or The Block. Does anyone seriously want to tear out the Animation Building so we can have more stores like Vault 28?

Baxter's idea smacks of hatred for the work of other Imagineers. Seems spiteful and punitive toward the folks that designed DCA. Almost as if to say Baxter finds DCA SO HORRIBLE the only thing his "Great Mind" can think of to do with it is turn it into a strip mall. Some Imagineering Tony. You'd ruin Disneyland's second gate rather than try and improve it. Baxter is a hack and his glory days of stripping the great works of other imagineers out of the park should finally be brought to an end. Give him a window on Main St. and retire him, he's Disney of the past, one of the Imagineers who brought you the pathetic, rundown Tomorrowland of today that Lassiter is cleaning up now.

I say let Lassiter try his hand at fixing DCA.

Disneyland Is Not A Museum. It's Not An Outdoor Mall Either.
    I don't think any Imagineer has a "holier-than-thou" attitude towards other Imagineers when it comes to improving or radically changing DCA, Baxter included. Its more a "holier-than-budge cuts" attitude.

The Imagineers had some great ideas and concepts for DCA in its planning stages. Unfortunately the "hacks" you talk about weren't necessarily Imagineers like Baxter, but Eisner and the accountanteers in TDA who tried to create a companian park to Disneyland on the cheap.

I think you're showing your biased and "DCA lovers" attitude in regards to this debate. I don't think Baxters idea is the best route, but I don't think he's stuck in the 80s, a hack, or completely off in thinking that DCA is so incredibly flawed in design and layout that in some aspects trying to save it as a second gate is going to be more trouble than its worth.

I think its unfair to call anybody who is trying to find a solution for DCA a hack, especially one who should get kudos for thinking outside the box on the DCA issue, even if their ideas may be a bit extreme or questionable.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Before anyone starts tearing anything out, it would be nice if the company revisited the original plans for D.C.A. There were some significant alterations made in the name of cost-effectiveness that have contributed directly to the commercial failure of the project as a whole.

D.C.A. is the product of the entire W.D.I. organization, and there were hacks and sycophants involved in the development process along with true talents. So, the park isn't totally bad, nor is it totally good.

(By the way, Uzmati, are you xpunkerca?)

• Zero Blockout Dates

Last edited by Uzmati; 11-29-2006 at 03:43 AM.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

It's a small World Wide Web.

• out & about

Im not a big fan of DCA (currently) but how sad would it be if DCA was added to yesterlands website?

WplusK.com

I would much rather see $700 million go into making DCA what I know it can turn out to be...awesome!! There is so much potential for that Park and I know if they just put some money into it, DCA would be worth going to on it's own...without the help of Disneyland.

My question is this...if DCA does turn out to be a continuation of Downtown Disney, would that mean annual passes would go down in price? And if we had an annual pass, would that mean we could still go on all the rides/attractions by just showing our AP? Or would we still have to pay a separate ticket price? This is gonna be interesting, I hope the $700 million wins out!

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast