Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• The one, the only...

How to make the new Peoplemover better...

I am excited about the Peoplemover finally returning in a form to Tomorrowland. Before Disney gets too far in the project, I would like to post my ideas for making its comeback successful.

1) It has to have a great name. Since the vehicles will be totally different, I think a new name would be better than keeping the old "peoplemover" name. My suggestion is Podcoaster, a combination of the word "pod" and "coaster" from "roller-coaster." A cutting-edge name is essential to drawing guests. If there is a better suggestion, I would love to see the ideas, but that is mine.

2) I think that the ride needs several layers of fun. I suggested a swivel control for guests to swing the pod in various directions. It would allow different views as you travel without having to move inside the pod. That would add more action to the ride itself without changing its speed or length.

3) I believe that interactive games should be installed in the pod. These games could be played on the trip around TL or not. I can see several games put in but particularly a Disney trivia game would be fun. It could have various levels, kid's, intermediate, and advanced. Then random questions could be asked. The score could be told to the guest at the end of the trip. An action game could also be included also. This would allow the kids to have something to do on the trip if the adults just want to relax and ride.

4) It has been suggested here on the boards that there should be multiple stations so that this could be a real transportation system. I like that idea. I would love an option to get off near Fantasyland or near Main Street. I think it could be an option. The track could have a side spur setup so the pod stopping could leave the main track and then rejoin it after stopping. This would add practicality as well as a fun element.

Well, those are my ideas. What are your ideas for making the Peoplemover's return a successful one? Would you keep the old name, "Peoplemover" or do you have another better one? How can you make the old Peoplemover better in its come back?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Former Loiterer

Re: How to make the new Peoplemover better...

Since there's a relationship between Disney and Steve Jobs now, we could have a Podcoaster that showcased all the newest iPod stuff!
    Seriously, though, those are some neat ideas. Gets a girl thinking...
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

• Keepin' it calsteady

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    I suggested a swivel control for guests to swing the pod in various directions.
    I like this idea, but I'm not crazy about the rest.

I am ambivalent about the People Mover. I never went on it when I was a kid, and replacing it would not be a high priority if I were investing money to improve Disneyland.

That being said, I was struck by someone's comment somewhere about having a moving attraction up above you as you walk through Tomorrowland. Futuristic pods would look cool up there, and add a sense of activity and excitement to the land - especially if they were spinning around.

• Dumbo Love driving me mad

I really like the swivel control idea! Personally, I like the name People Mover. It's very straightforward. That's exactly what it is, a people mover. It's classic and simplistic. But, I really don't care what they call it, bottom line...just bring it back!!!!

• SimplyMad about SimplyMad

Swivel control sounds great to me too. The only other thing I'd like is if they made the ride a little faster. Keep in mind, I'm not talking "Rocket Rods fast" - at least when they were running. As a kid I loved being able to take a trip around Tomorrowland and get a sneak peek inside the different attractions. However it just seemed too slow to me. I figured that if I could walk as fast as a PeopleMover, then it was too slow. Maybe if it got up to jogging speed or so, it would've worked better for me.

Then again, now that I've hit 40 maybe slow isn't so bad...
    [IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/svq6euz0zgrn5i44.png[/IMG]

• Adventures with Duffy

I like the swivel idea and I like the name People Mover. I do hope it stays as a slower ride or if they do make it go faster, they make the ride longer. What made the People Mover so great was the fact it was a short line and you could rest your feet for awhile.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Janell View Post
    I like the swivel idea and I like the name People Mover. I do hope it stays as a slower ride or if they do make it go faster, they make the ride longer. What made the People Mover so great was the fact it was a short line and you could rest your feet for awhile.

Yes - I have referred to it in the past as not necessarily a THRILL ride, but a CHILL ride. I loved the time to relax and just take in the visual beauty of the park.

• Banned User

Give the finger to OSHA and bring the old ride back.

• ...TWO BITS!

I'm not really into the swivel aspect... seems dull and unneccessary. A sort of plexiglass "window dome" would do it nicely for me.

I've always liked the multiple stops. But in Fantasyland and Main Street? Not as much. To descripe it simply: I'd put stops in Starcade, Innoventions, area above former Fantasyland Autopia.

I also like the side spur a the stations.

LCD monitors in the pods, yes. Games in the monitors, no. I feel like it should be more of an audio/visual tour, weather update, Disneyland showtimes & wait times, map of the Tomorrowland area...

One name suggested was "PodMovers". Mixing "Pod" and "People Mover". I think I prefer "PodMovers".

The same reader suggested if the sub waterfalls were to be rebuilt, the PodMovers could travel through the waterfall and out a cave... but I don't know how realistic that is.

EDIT: I have some thoughts on show scenes, but for now, I think just talking about the ride vehicles is fine...

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Ian The Fox

I think putting a spin on the name PeopleMover would be nice. Many people are nostalgic for the old attraction (just look at the number of posts made about on MiceChat for proof of that) and something that pays tribute to the original at least in name would be appreciated, I think.
    Woof!

• Star Tours Fan

Bring back the Stormtrooper!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Blueharvest1138 View Post
    Bring back the Stormtrooper!
    LOL. Typical post from someone named "blue harvest".

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Iron-Clad Allie

Podcoaster is a very clever title idea for the ride, Jiminy. A swivel control would certainly add an interactive element of fun to it.

One of my ideas would be to have an infrared "laser gun" that could be operated from the inside. In place would be different targets to shoot at. The rays would be particularly stunning come nightime. This element would be a sort of outdoor counterpart to Buzz.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Podcoaster is a very clever title idea for the ride, Jiminy. A swivel control would certainly add an interactive element of fun to it.

One of my ideas would be to have an infrared "laser gun" that could be operated from the inside. In place would be different targets to shoot at. The rays would be particularly stunning come nightime. This element would be a sort of outdoor counterpart to Buzz.

That would be fun but I think it would probably cheapen the experience. It'd also take away from what makes the Buzz ride tick.

Also... swivel in an enclosed pod... are we afraid that kids may get a little nauseated?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• The one, the only...

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post

I like the laser gun idea. It then could even be more like the Incredibles if they were shooting at that machine that Mr. Incredible fights. The one problem might be the vehicle enclosure. It might cause some bending of the light so that targeting might be a problem.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast