Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Talking Remember Light Magic?

I was just looking through some old pictures I had in a box and came across a blast from the recet past. Almost 10 years ago we witnessed one of the most tragic events in Disney history. The replacement of the Main Street Electrical Parade with the stunning, innovative, state of the art.....Light Magic.

When I first heard of the show and saw the billboards I was actually excited. I thought "Wow, this show must be really good in order for it to be able to replace the electrical parade". Now don't get me wrong. I loved the MSEP and was sorry to see it go but this was a new parade. They promised it to be a one of a kind parade, with fiber optic lights and these million dollar floats that would feature an all new cast of characters plus familiar favorites. When I received the special invite to attend an exclusive AP "preview" event, I immediately bought my tickets and eagerly awaited the premier.

The night of the premier, my friends and I were very excited. We wanted to be the first to see this fantastical new parade and got spots up near the start of the parade route near It's A Small World. Soon the parade route became crowded with eager and anxious AP holders who were ready to see Light Magic. Minutes before the parade was to begin, Paul Pressler comes out and he welcomes us to the first REHEARSAL of Light Magic. Wait, did I hear that right? We all looked at each other and repeated it to each other "Rehearsal?" We thought we were watching a premier! That's what the flier told us. We were promised an exclusive preview of Light Magic and now they were telling us it was a rehearsal? Hmmm...Something didn't seem quite right.

Soon, the lights dimmed, the stage lights came on and music began to blare from the speakers. Are those bagpipes I hear? Are we listening to the Braveheart soundtrack all of a sudden. We looked at each other with a puzzles look on our faces. The Baroque Hoedown it was not....but bagpipes? O.k...this is certainly going to be new. Soon, the first float comes rolling out. Oh look! Its a huge cluster of trees! Nice. Then the next float starts comming into view. Hey, isn't that the same float as the first one? The third float comes out. Same cluster of trees. Finally, the fourth and final float. Yup, same trees. O.k. so these floats are all identical. No big deal. The music was kinda catchy. At least we thought it was for the first ten minutes of listening to it. 20 minutes later, the same music continues....over and over.....we knew the words by heart "We can dream our dreams together....dream our dreams forever..." Finally, by the mercy of some audio god, the music stopped and the crowd broke into a thunderous applaus. A few minutes later the music was back and the actual show started.

I'm not going to lie and say the pixies were cute. I'm telling you they were scary, disfigured burn victims. They danced around and tried to get little kids to dance with them but kids recoiled in terror. Who wants to dance with Freddy Kreuger? I sure don't. They danced and danced and danced. A few minutes into the performance the real characters come out to save us from the disfigured pixies. And then, out of the blue, these screens come down in between the trees. Oh! A movie! Well, there was supposed to be a movie but none of the floats had the movies playing. Oh well.

The music gets more energetic and more frenzied, the finally is getting close. Suddenly the music changed to something familiar. It's the baroque hoedown! Wow! the floats came alive with millons of fiber optic lights. This was what I had expected to see....lights....not pixies. Then, the show ended and there was a mixture of both polite applaus and even some booing. The parade was over and so were our expectations for a fantastical new parade. We left in stunned silence and were not sure what to think. I really wanted to like it but part of me still prefered the MSEP over this new replacement.

We saw Light Magic several more times that season, hoping that maybe be repeated viewings it would be more likeable but it never happened. The only thing I ended up liking about Light Magic was the soundtrack.

So there's my story. I'd like to hear other peoples stories too. Did you attend the "premier" also? Did you ever enjoy it after a while? Where you in that line of guests that snaked down Main Street to get a refund from City Hall? Lets chat!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Re: Remember Light Magic?

I wasn't at the Premier, but I was there the night that the fairies
    "evil face make-up" was toned down. They tried a few thing to try
    and correct one of the many blunders of the Eisner-Pressler Decade
    of Disney Nightmares. But this "Street-tacular" was so flawed, in so
    many ways that even now people are denying that there even WAS
    such a thing as a show on Main Street where Disney characters dressed
    in their P.J.'s, and pranced around with Pixies in an Irish jig!

There was a thread on this just a week or so ago. But yeah...I pretty much can relate and agree with your recollections of Light Magic. Here's what I wrote in that other thread:

It was just awful. Riverdance mixed with Disney characters mixed with some tacky Vegas special effect "extravaganza" and completely forgettable music.

It was so un-Disney and heartless...that it literally confused Park Guests.

It got the quick "hook" for good reason, and joined the ranks of the Mickey Mouse Club Circus and SuperStar Limo as the worst ideas for Disney attractions ever.

IMHO, and that of the vast majority of those that had to endure even one performance.

I'll give it this though: It was probably the only major Disney parade-type-thing that you could easily find curb space for...because the "word-of-mouth" was so quick on how bad it was. Plus the first-hand experience of many a disappointed Guest that had already determined that once was enough.

And it was my understanding of the Guest Satisfaction Surveys...the longer the show went on...the more disappointed the Guests were becoming with it.

Or in other words...it wasn't "growing" (or "glowing") on very many.

I'm glad it had some fans though. But I'm also glad there weren't too many, or we might have had to endure it a few nights longer.

And it cost a fortune! They could have built an E-Ticket attraction and then some, with what they wasted on Light Magic.

That boondoggle cost Disneyland (and us!) a whole lot of new stuff and the proper upkeep of some old stuff (though it should never have been used as the excuse for either). Poof! The money was gone.

(Did I mention I thought it stunk to high heaven?)

• Iron-Clad Allie

From what I understand, it was an awesome spectacle to behold and enjoy. Never saw it...and missed the dazzle. So, I think of it as the "Blight Tragic" parade.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• love my friends

alot of people hated this parade.. I LOVED IT my daughter who was about 6 at the time was picked by the faireies to dance, etc.. '

i loved this parade.. i even dowlaoded the music from the parade

Friends for life

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by ExJungleSkipper95 View Post
    I was just looking through some old pictures I had in a box and came across a blast from the recet past. Almost 10 years ago we witnessed one of the most tragic events in Disney history. The replacement of the Main Street Electrical Parade with the stunning, innovative, state of the art.....Light Magic.

When I first heard of the show and saw the billboards I was actually excited. I thought "Wow, this show must be really good in order for it to be able to replace the electrical parade". Now don't get me wrong. I loved the MSEP and was sorry to see it go but this was a new parade. They promised it to be a one of a kind parade, with fiber optic lights and these million dollar floats that would feature an all new cast of characters plus familiar favorites. When I received the special invite to attend an exclusive AP "preview" event, I immediately bought my tickets and eagerly awaited the premier.

The night of the premier, my friends and I were very excited. We wanted to be the first to see this fantastical new parade and got spots up near the start of the parade route near It's A Small World. Soon the parade route became crowded with eager and anxious AP holders who were ready to see Light Magic. Minutes before the parade was to begin, Paul Pressler comes out and he welcomes us to the first REHEARSAL of Light Magic. Wait, did I hear that right? We all looked at each other and repeated it to each other "Rehearsal?" We thought we were watching a premier! That's what the flier told us. We were promised an exclusive preview of Light Magic and now they were telling us it was a rehearsal? Hmmm...Something didn't seem quite right.

Soon, the lights dimmed, the stage lights came on and music began to blare from the speakers. Are those bagpipes I hear? Are we listening to the Braveheart soundtrack all of a sudden. We looked at each other with a puzzles look on our faces. The Baroque Hoedown it was not....but bagpipes? O.k...this is certainly going to be new. Soon, the first float comes rolling out. Oh look! Its a huge cluster of trees! Nice. Then the next float starts comming into view. Hey, isn't that the same float as the first one? The third float comes out. Same cluster of trees. Finally, the fourth and final float. Yup, same trees. O.k. so these floats are all identical. No big deal. The music was kinda catchy. At least we thought it was for the first ten minutes of listening to it. 20 minutes later, the same music continues....over and over.....we knew the words by heart "We can dream our dreams together....dream our dreams forever..." Finally, by the mercy of some audio god, the music stopped and the crowd broke into a thunderous applaus. A few minutes later the music was back and the actual show started.

I'm not going to lie and say the pixies were cute. I'm telling you they were scary, disfigured burn victims. They danced around and tried to get little kids to dance with them but kids recoiled in terror. Who wants to dance with Freddy Kreuger? I sure don't. They danced and danced and danced. A few minutes into the performance the real characters come out to save us from the disfigured pixies. And then, out of the blue, these screens come down in between the trees. Oh! A movie! Well, there was supposed to be a movie but none of the floats had the movies playing. Oh well.

The music gets more energetic and more frenzied, the finally is getting close. Suddenly the music changed to something familiar. It's the baroque hoedown! Wow! the floats came alive with millons of fiber optic lights. This was what I had expected to see....lights....not pixies. Then, the show ended and there was a mixture of both polite applaus and even some booing. The parade was over and so were our expectations for a fantastical new parade. We left in stunned silence and were not sure what to think. I really wanted to like it but part of me still prefered the MSEP over this new replacement.

We saw Light Magic several more times that season, hoping that maybe be repeated viewings it would be more likeable but it never happened. The only thing I ended up liking about Light Magic was the soundtrack.

So there's my story. I'd like to hear other peoples stories too. Did you attend the "premier" also? Did you ever enjoy it after a while? Where you in that line of guests that snaked down Main Street to get a refund from City Hall? Lets chat!

Ditto. I was there that night when the music went on and on and on and on and on and on and nothing rolled on by. We were gonna go nuts! Small World became heaven. Light Magic skipped purgatory and became hell.

Yes, I'm over exaggerating but the excitement we had to see something that would REPLACE the beloved electical parade was probably at the same level fans had to see Star Wars Episode 1. At least with Episode 1, Darth Maul was awesome.

Nothing, and I mean ABSOLUTELY nothing in Light Magic was better than the Electrical Parade.

It was cute to see the characters in pajamas but why did we wake them up while Disneyland was still in operation? Why were those pixies so scary? Why were the floats so dang dark? I thought we were gonna see lights!

Light? not so much. Magic? not so much either. Streetacular? They got the street part down.

I really miss a nighttime parade worth sitting on the steps for.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Ditto. I was there that night when the music went on and on and on and on and on and on and nothing rolled on by. We were gonna go nuts! Small World became heaven. Light Magic skipped purgatory and became hell.

Yes, I'm over exaggerating but the excitement we had to see something that would REPLACE the beloved electical parade was probably at the same level fans had to see Star Wars Episode 1. At least with Episode 1, Darth Maul was awesome.

Nothing, and I mean ABSOLUTELY nothing in Light Magic was better than the Electrical Parade.

It was cute to see the characters in pajamas but why did we wake them up while Disneyland was still in operation? Why were those pixies so scary? Why were the floats so dang dark? I thought we were gonna see lights!

Light? not so much. Magic? not so much either. Streetacular? They got the street part down.

I really miss a nighttime parade worth sitting on the steps for.
    Nothing comes close to the magic of the electric Parade.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Just to add that the whole "Light Magic" extravaganza wasn't
    so much forgotten, as it was OVERSHADOWED by other moronic
    decisions and manangement decisions YET to occur.

Management MUST have decided that the ONLY way to "forget"
    the whole incident would be to make worse mistakes that would
    take decades and Hundreds of Millions of Dollars to correct.

THAT set in motion the decision to create self imploding attractions,
    that would bring the whole resort to it's knees. Shortly after the
    Electric Parade "Glowed Away (Temporarily) Forever" and the Irish
    Dancing Pixies left with their magical pixie dust, Pressler decided to
    install a Black Hole in Tomorrowland that would suck the life out of
    Hope for Tomorrow and sucked the Life out of The World of Motion.
    That Infamous plan was know as Tomorrowland '98. And no where
    before had one man done so much to destroy the future of the
    once "Happiest Place on Earth.

BUT, That was only the beginning of this Evil Mastermind's plan to make
    all forget "Light Magic". The Big E-Ticket of TL 98 practically imploded before it opened - That's right, Rocket Rod's was the first self Imploding Attraction. And soon afterwards the Subs were retired, with and evil lying promise of a new attraction to be opened by 2002. (of course - this was only one of the lies spewed forth from Pressler)

Bigger and Badder plans were well underway, (in the meanwhile existing buildings,attractions,maintenance and facities were left to rot and fall apart, creating future tragedies such as the death on Big Thunder), A
    new Theme Park, to be built on the cheap, with little regard for imagination. Pressler devised the idea of creating an area in the new park that would be themed to what Walt hated - and thus Paradise Pier was born. Rollercoasters themed as rollercoasters, carney games, overpriced cheap merchandise, trying to wring all the possible money from customers with giving them very little in return. To heck with the ways of Walt, where you gave the guest an experience to talk about and want to return to.

Then of course Pressler began to self implode other cherished attractions, such as Lincoln on Main Street, one of Walt's historic projects. Then a plan to trash other cherished attractions such as Country Bears. Completely repurposing TWO beautiful Audio Animatronic enhanced theaters which have 3 charming show, one which was a wonderful Christmas show. Gut the place, spend tens of millions to place one short pooh 2 d ride of lesser quality than any current dark ride.

Fortunately Eisner and Pressler were soon "let go". But unfortunately
    the evil emperor and his henchman had already achieved there goal of
    getting everyone to forget about Light Magic, and instead focus on
    a new "Problem" that not even a Billion dollars will fix.

Eisner and Pressler both deserve to be in the Disney Hall of Fame . . . .
    The Disney VILLAINS Hall of Fame, specifically

No wonder Rasulo wanted to go with a Year of a Million Dreams,
    they've have enough Nightmares this past "Disney Decade."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Everytime the "Baroque Hoedown" portion of Light Magic Played near the end, I got a tear in my eye, hoping that the real NEW version the Electric Parade would be right behind these 4 identical stages.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Just to add that the whole "Light Magic" extravaganza wasn't
    so much forgotten, as it was OVERSHADOWED by other moronic
    decisions and manangement decisions YET to occur.

Management MUST have decided that the ONLY way to "forget"
    the whole incident would be to make worse mistakes that would
    take decades and Hundreds of Millions of Dollars to correct.

THAT set in motion the decision to create self imploding attractions,
    that would bring the whole resort to it's knees. Shortly after the
    Electric Parade "Glowed Away (Temporarily) Forever" and the Irish
    Dancing Pixies left with their magical pixie dust, Pressler decided to
    install a Black Hole in Tomorrowland that would suck the life out of
    Hope for Tomorrow and sucked the Life out of The World of Motion.
    That Infamous plan was know as Tomorrowland '98. And no where
    before had one man done so much to destroy the future of the
    once "Happiest Place on Earth.

BUT, That was only the beginning of this Evil Mastermind's plan to make
    all forget "Light Magic". The Big E-Ticket of TL 98 practically imploded before it opened - That's right, Rocket Rod's was the first self Imploding Attraction. And soon afterwards the Subs were retired, with and evil lying promise of a new attraction to be opened by 2002. (of course - this was only one of the lies spewed forth from Pressler)

Bigger and Badder plans were well underway, (in the meanwhile existing buildings,attractions,maintenance and facities were left to rot and fall apart, creating future tragedies such as the death on Big Thunder), A
    new Theme Park, to be built on the cheap, with little regard for imagination. Pressler devised the idea of creating an area in the new park that would be themed to what Walt hated - and thus Paradise Pier was born. Rollercoasters themed as rollercoasters, carney games, overpriced cheap merchandise, trying to wring all the possible money from customers with giving them very little in return. To heck with the ways of Walt, where you gave the guest an experience to talk about and want to return to.

Then of course Pressler began to self implode other cherished attractions, such as Lincoln on Main Street, one of Walt's historic projects. Then a plan to trash other cherished attractions such as Country Bears. Completely repurposing TWO beautiful Audio Animatronic enhanced theaters which have 3 charming show, one which was a wonderful Christmas show. Gut the place, spend tens of millions to place one short pooh 2 d ride of lesser quality than any current dark ride.

Fortunately Eisner and Pressler were soon "let go". But unfortunately
    the evil emperor and his henchman had already achieved there goal of
    getting everyone to forget about Light Magic, and instead focus on
    a new "Problem" that not even a Billion dollars will fix.

Eisner and Pressler both deserve to be in the Disney Hall of Fame . . . .
    The Disney VILLAINS Hall of Fame, specifically

No wonder Rasulo wanted to go with a Year of a Million Dreams,
    they've have enough Nightmares this past "Disney Decade."
    I couldn't have said it better myself. It would be great to have one of those HBO Original Movies made about Pressler and how he basically destroyed Disneyland during his reign of terror.

You mean "Light Tragic?" Yawn....

• Shubisha

it's funny cuz the disneyland radio commercial just came on and goofy said "and... whatever rhymes with magic!"

//and ya, i've been listening and had friends on alert all day for the damn kroq tickets :P

• I'm A Disney Girl

NOOOOOOO! My repressed memories are coming back to me, make them go away!

• Disney for life!~

Does anyone have pictures of the "freddy Kruger" looking fairies?Oh my god! That cracked me up!

• Official Mice Chat person

This thread makes me want to throw up, and laugh, at the same time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast