Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Special Agent

Re: Monorail Question

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb View Post
    You just need to get on that crew and get trained.
    I'm pretty sure the Monorail is not a new hire attraction - and may still in fact have a long waiting list. That means you have to a) get hired into Tomorrowland Attractions and b) endure months and months of working 12 hour shifts at Autopia before you can have the chance to crosstrain to Monorail.

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    You can even run the steam locomotives if you wanted! There are no special requirements other than an ernest intent to learn everything you need to know. It's all on-the-job training.
    It always looks like older people are always operating that train. Not once have I seen someone that looks younger then 30 operate it so I always thought you had to become a locomotive engineer to operate.

Thanks for all your insight everyone. It was always my small childhood dream to become a monorail pilot.

I don't know, to me personally I just always thought there were strict rules in becoming a monorail pilot becuase they're essentially $8-9 hourly wage workers responsible for "a 203.5 foot long, 54 ton, 904 horsepower, $7 million dollar train. With 600 volt DC bus bars on either side of a 26in wide, pre-stressed concrete beam, carrying upwards of 350 Guests, at heights up to 65 feet above ground, and through a hotel." But i guess its really really safe and easy to operate a monorail?

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Y more J View Post
    But i guess its really really safe and easy to operate a monorail?
    'Course it is! Why, really it's only just a big electric trainset!!

**ducks**

• Rat Tat Tat.

The reason most of the people driving are older is because people with high seniority tend to prefer that attraction, therefore all the younger/newer people rarely get a chance to go up there because they have low seniority.

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

But i guess its really really safe and easy to operate a monorail?
    'Course it is! Why, really it's only just a big electric trainset!!

**ducks**
    Why-I-Oughtta...! The NOIVE!

It's not quite - but almost - as simple as hopping in and pushing the 'Go' button - IMHO from observation it's not much more difficult than driving a car. A very big, very expensive car, with odd controls, and every move you make can and will be minutely observed.

You have to know the controls and what to do in the proper order - and what NOT to do. And there are safeties to keep you from doing some idiotic things - but only the ones they anticipated and specifically guarded against ahead of time. A truly creative and motivated idiot can always get around those types of safety interlocks.

But there are different ways things can go wrong, and experience is the true teacher. They teach you how the brakes and throttle controls work, what the speed limits and clearance rules between trains are, the radio calls and codes, how to release the brakes and get towed, what to do in case of several types of emergencies that can happen on board...

Worst part is there's no simple way to "get out and look under the hood" when things go wrong - even if you were one of those people who knew what the heck you were looking at. (*)

The 'guts' of the train are all in bins under the floorboards, below the platform height in the station - if you can't reset the breakers or convince it to start working from the Operator's Position in the cab, they have to send out the tractor and tow the train back to the Roundhouse to figure it out.

(* - If I had a multimeter and a few basic tools at hand I could probably play "Mechanic Challenge" on a disabled train and get it running from my Electrician and Telecom troubleshooting background, that's the kind of thing I do - but 98% of the people out there are much more likely to get themselves hurt sticking a hand in there... Nothing like a little 600V DC with some serious amps behind it to 'light your fire' - like an arc welder.)

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Closed Account

It always looks like older people are always operating that train. Not once have I seen someone that looks younger then 30 operate it so I always thought you had to become a locomotive engineer to operate.
    Contrary to other posters, it's not seniority that makes it seem as though older folks in the cab. One of the youngest firemen at DL, age 18, has recently started working on the steam engines. Several of the women engine crew are also pretty young. I've personally known many young people who were part of the engine crew.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Bergman View Post
    Why-I-Oughtta...! The NOIVE!

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by revol yensid View Post
    The reason most of the people driving are older is because people with high seniority tend to prefer that attraction, therefore all the younger/newer people rarely get a chance to go up there because they have low seniority.
    I sat up front with a monorail driver that was very young. She had to be in her early 20s at the most.

Well, yes and no. It's not a new hire attraction, rather it's more of a reward, so to speak. And no, you don't have to endure months of working 12 hour shifts on Autopia, but you do have to have a stout attendance record and a good "in" with the supervisors (i.e., stay out of trouble). Monorial training is pretty straight forward (at least it was back in the day).

Anyone remember the story about Monorial blue taking a nose dive??? I was there that night working autopia. Imagine our suprise when we saw the nose of the train pancaked on the ground... YIKES!!! That happend while another cast member was being trained.

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Monorail is not a new hire attraction - and may still in fact have a long waiting list. That means you have to a) get hired into Tomorrowland Attractions and b) endure months and months of working 12 hour shifts at Autopia before you can have the chance to crosstrain to Monorail.

• Rat Tat Tat.

Contrary to other posters, it's not seniority that makes it seem as though older folks in the cab. One of the youngest firemen at DL, age 18, has recently started working on the steam engines. Several of the women engine crew are also pretty young. I've personally known many young people who were part of the engine crew.
    The seniority was in reference to the Monorails, not steam trains.

Quote Originally Posted by Newseditor44 View Post
    Well, yes and no. It's not a new hire attraction, rather it's more of a reward, so to speak. And no, you don't have to endure months of working 12 hour shifts on Autopia, but you do have to have a stout attendance record and a good "in" with the supervisors (i.e., stay out of trouble). Monorial training is pretty straight forward (at least it was back in the day).

Anyone remember the story about Monorial blue taking a nose dive??? I was there that night working autopia. Imagine our suprise when we saw the nose of the train pancaked on the ground... YIKES!!! That happend while another cast member was being trained.
    I do remember that story, I was there as well.

Poor Colleen and Jackie, it wasn't their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerDiz View Post
    I do remember that story, I was there as well.

Poor Colleen and Jackie, it wasn't their fault.
    Miss both of them (Coleen was my lead on Star Tours for a couple of summers in the early 90's, Jackie was just a sweetheart!)... I never looked at Monorail Blue the same way again

Also, how about the poor guy at the switch.. He must have been s-ing his pants when he saw the train coming right at him. I heard he jumped to save his life and might have been injured, but I don't know that for sure. I remember seeing CFA there. We had to close Autopia for a while that night. I ER'd so I don't know if they closed it for the night, but I assume they did.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

While the WDW Monorails are more complicated, you can always build and run your own Monorail layouts with Trainz 2006, for those of you curious.
    -Monorail Man

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    Not really. It's all straightforward enough that anyone can do it if they're hired into the position I'm pretty sure(after training, but point is anyone can).
    Same with the Disneyland Railroad. You don't need experience. They train you.

• 88 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Newseditor44 View Post
    Wow, how come I didn't hear about it on the news? Or was it during after the park closed? Or were you kidding? hahaha I can't tell!

Oh and Monorail Man, I heard about Trainz 2006 where you can download maps from the website. I was about to purchase it soley for the Monorail project, but I was afraid my computer's graphics aren't good enough. How does it run on your computer? Specs?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast