Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• 88 mph

Monorail Question

I've always wanted to drive the Monorail trains in DL and especially in Florida, so I was just wondering if there is some sort of requirement to become a Monorail operator? I know you have to be an engineer to drive the locomotives, so I don't know if the same thing applies here.

• Shubisha

Re: Monorail Question

Not really. It's all straightforward enough that anyone can do it if they're hired into the position I'm pretty sure(after training, but point is anyone can).

• 88 mph

Really? Huh. I guess its just like driving the parking lot trams?

• Ex Dept 915 CM

it's easier. It's on a track.

• 88 mph

huh. i see! My hopes are up again!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

The basic rotation of a Monorail CM is about 80% crowd control, and 20% driving. Every rotates thru the positions, and you drive the Monorail to switch over from the Tomorrowland Station to the DtD station. For example, you drive to DtD, then work the staircase exit unload, then move up to the front to the secondary dispatch location, then drive back to Tomorrowland, where you are sent to the bottom of the escalator to monitor guests and only allow some many guests up on the platform, then back upstairs as gate control in multiple places, then back in the Monorail.

So there is no "driver" position, just a group of CM's that share the job.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Y more J View Post
    I know you have to be an engineer to drive the locomotives, so I don't know if the same thing applies here.
    You can even run the steam locomotives if you wanted! There are no special requirements other than an ernest intent to learn everything you need to know. It's all on-the-job training.

• Dont make me unfriend you

This is sort of off topic, but it is a Monorail question: "Is the Monorail running around the whole track yet or is it still running back and forth over the same piece of track both ways?

If it is running on only part of the track, when will the whole track be open again.

I know it was running on only part of the track a while ago as they built the submarine ride, just wondering what the current status was.

Thanks

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett240 View Post
    This is sort of off topic, but it is a Monorail question: "Is the Monorail running around the whole track yet or is it still running back and forth over the same piece of track both ways?

If it is running on only part of the track, when will the whole track be open again.

I know it was running on only part of the track a while ago as they built the submarine ride, just wondering what the current status was.

Thanks
    The monorail is currently not running at all. Before it closed down in September, it was running only on a portion of the entire track. Because it's expected that it will close down again in January for more work on the Finding Nemo subs project, it likely will only be "one way" over the same portion of the track, not around the entire track, until Nemo is finished.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

As I understand it, the Monorail will reopen around December 16th, and will once again run in shuttle mode, using just the DCA portion of the track.

And it will remain open. The operation of the Monorail in "Shuttle" Mode doesn't effect the Sub Lagoon work. But with only 2 monorails on property, if they have mechanical failures, you will see more times when it is not running.

Also, be prepared to have a Hotel ID to use the Monorails for the first few weeks it is open, due to the expected large crowds.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

While I am not a monorail pilot or monorail Cast Member, I have talked with a few pilots about the WDW monorails, and they are operated differently than at DL.

In order to even become a pilot, you will usually work about 3 months on "platform," that is, at the stations. If you do well there, you may be trained as a Monorail Pilot. Monorail pilot training at WDW is more difficult than at DL, simply because it is a more complex system. Probably the biggest difference is the memorization of "hold points." These are set locations on the beam where you may be asked to hold, or you may hold yourself if the MAPO MBS (Moving Blocklight System) tells you that you are getting too close to another train. Now while that may not sound too bad, all of the hold points are named for the pylon they are at (i.e. hold point 2 is at pylon 2, hold point 118 is at pylon 118; I don't know if those are actual hold points or not). There is not a pattern or system to these numbers, and they all must be committed to memory.

Other than that, you just have to realize that you're at the controls of a 203.5 foot long, 54 ton, 904 horsepower, $7 million dollar train. With 600 volt DC bus bars on either side of a 26in wide, pre-stressed concrete beam, carrying upwards of 350 Guests, at heights up to 65 feet above ground, and through a hotel.

For a ton of info, may I suggest:
    http://www.monorailyellow.com
    http://www.monorailexpress.com

Hope this helps!

• Mousketeer

Years ago, It was my understanding that the Monorails, as well as the locomotives and the different Main Street vehicles were owned not by Disneyland, but by the Disney family, and the park essentially leased the vehicles back from them providing an income stream for the Disney Family.

The Monorail pilots were in different union than other DL workers, and were even different than the other cast members that worked on the monorail, they were paid better "union" wages (kind of the same type of arrangement as airline pilots and flight attendants). I heard that somehow that arrangement with the Disney family no longer exists, and so now any CM that works on the monorail crew can pilot a monorail.

You just need to get on that crew and get trained.

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    As I understand it, the Monorail will reopen around December 16th, and will once again run in shuttle mode, using just the DCA portion of the track.

And it will remain open. The operation of the Monorail in "Shuttle" Mode doesn't effect the Sub Lagoon work. But with only 2 monorails on property, if they have mechanical failures, you will see more times when it is not running.

Also, be prepared to have a Hotel ID to use the Monorails for the first few weeks it is open, due to the expected large crowds.
    Probably true. But as this site quotes:

"Disneyland Monorail closed August 21 - December 14 for station remodel and queue construction for Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. Will likely close again in January."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

Yeah I didn't get a chance to ride the monorail when I was at DL in July... Maybe I can for December trip!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Yendorb View Post
    Years ago, It was my understanding that the Monorails, as well as the locomotives and the different Main Street vehicles were owned not by Disneyland, but by the Disney family, and the park essentially leased the vehicles back from them providing an income stream for the Disney Family.
    You are essentially correct (never heard about the Main Street vehicles, however).

At one time, the steam trains, the monorails, and even the short-lived Viewliner were all owned by Walt's personal company, Retlaw. They really were his trains. The employees also worked directly for Disney, through Retlaw, were paid higher wages, and received different paychecks. I believe they even had their own Christmas parties. This sometimes resulted in a bit of ego clash between "Walt's" Retlaw employees and "regular" Disney CMs.

I don't have the exact date in front of me, but I recall that by 1980 or 1981, Retlaw sold back the trains and monorails to the park. Retlaw continued to exist for a few years after that, handling the Disney Family's charitable contributions and running some radio stations here and there. The last I had heard, Retlaw wound up operations a few years ago and no longer exists.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast