Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Defying gravity

Exclamation *Special Report*: What Disneyland Really Needs Is....Several Coats of Paint!!!

I was in Disneyland over the Thanksgiving Break. Eventually I'll get around to posting my actual trip pictures, but until then I have pictures of what disrepair the park has fallen into. Clearly, the days of painting the park every night are gone. I would have taken more pics, but my mom didn't want to "waste" film on such pictures. (Someday we really need to get a digital camera.) No attraction is save from desperately needing a coat of paint. So, what do you think - has Disneyland fallen into utter disrepair?

Big Thunder is supposed to look rustic...but not this rustic. You can see how worn the handrails are.

"it's a small world" is looking like "it's a dirty world."

Chipping paint in the Astro Orbitor queue line.

This Astro Orbitor ride vehicle is a disgrace to Disneyland!!!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Re: *Special Report*: What Disneyland Really Needs Is....Several Coats of Paint!!!

yowza. Not looking too shiny...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

I live 2 miles away from Disneyland if Walt would've built it at Riverside and Buena Vista.

Re: *Special Report*: What Disneyland Really Needs Is....Several Coats of Paint!!!

Hey, that kid needs to keep his hands and arms (manos y brazos) in the boat AT ALL TIMES!

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

YIKES! You should send these photos to Guest Communications! That'll wake them up real fast (hopefully)!

...Joe...

• Fireworks Finatic!

Disneyland has been doing a way better job of painting in recent years then they were. But there will always be areas that seem to get missed or they just have not gotten to. Rides usually don't get paint until they have a refurb. When has the Astro Orbitor ever been down for a refurb? But overall, things are better there then they used to be.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by AaronInCal View Post
    Disneyland has been doing a way better job of painting in recent years then they were. But there will always be areas that seem to get missed or they just have not gotten to. Rides usually don't get paint until they have a refurb. When has the Astro Orbitor ever been down for a refurb? But overall, things are better there then they used to be.
    The thing is, there are just way too many areas. And all it would take is one coat of paint overnight to fix most of these areas.....

• Banned User

with th holidays falling so close together and parks over filled there is not enough time to get everything done, decorations etc. I am sure by the spring things will look way better.

• Lost in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess4590 View Post
    The thing is, there are just way too many areas. And all it would take is one coat of paint overnight to fix most of these areas.....
    Well, it's not quite that simple. If you simply applied a single coat of paint to the worn down areas, the surface would be uneven and the paint would rub off quickly. The colors might not match that well either.

I'm not an expert, but when painting metal, the surface needs to be cleaned (sanded), and the primer and other undercoatings need to be applied before the coat of paint is applied. And it probably takes a while for it to dry, which might take the ride or gate out of service for a day or two.

It would be great if they did repaint these areas sooner, but it's not that simple as adding one coat of paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Sidewalk View Post
    And it probably takes a while for it to dry, which might take the ride or gate out of service for a day or two.

It would be great if they did repaint these areas sooner, but it's not that simple as adding one coat of paint.
    Unless you use a blowtorch...seriously.
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

wow....we need some paint up in thurr QUICK before i shout at the top of my lungs when i go there soon. Oh ...and i'll do it to!!!! YEAH !!! YOU KNOW IT!

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Minion

Also, it's amazing how quickly a freshly-painted area will become dirty again. Anything within guest reach becomes scratched up pretty quickly- remember Space and Monsters? So even if they did repaint it, it probably wouldn't last long. Still, it doesn't look good. Ideally, they'd have people repainting every night before things get messed up...

• Disney for life!~

ToonTown needs it bad.

I <3 SPACEMOUNTAIN!!!!!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/CayaHutch

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Moving Sidewalk View Post
    Well, it's not quite that simple. If you simply applied a single coat of paint to the worn down areas, the surface would be uneven and the paint would rub off quickly. The colors might not match that well either.

I'm not an expert, but when painting metal, the surface needs to be cleaned (sanded), and the primer and other undercoatings need to be applied before the coat of paint is applied. And it probably takes a while for it to dry, which might take the ride or gate out of service for a day or two.

Well said. I was thinking the same thing. It's simple, maybe, but not that simple.

Disneyland used to keep everything looking new, though.

That picture of It's a Small World is disgusting.

• Defying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Disneyland used to keep everything looking new, though.
    Really, they did. I don't remember the park looking like this several years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast